Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boxerpups

Said good bye to my best friend after 13 years.

boxerpups
12 years ago

I am so very sad. I said good bye to my best friend today.

She was a beautiful brindle boxer with eyes of brown with

flecs of gold. The most wonderful companion I have ever

known. And I have known many boxers. C was my dream pet.

My husband loved her more than words can say.

We held her today, kissing her as we said our good bye.

Reminding her that she is and always will be the most

important dog in our lives. I told her I love her. And

when a few moments passed she died in our arms. It was

terribly painful for me to say good bye. I think I had

been keeping her alive for me. Carrying her to go to

the bathroom and carrying back in. She had stopped eating,

drinking and had internal bleeding into her body.

I miss her. Thank you for letting me share my sad day.

Not everyone is a fan of dogs or cats or creatures great

and small. I thought about posting something in Kitchens

(my usual hang out) but realize there are other pet owners

here who will understand me. And this is what I need

right now. Fans of dogs and cats who get that

I mourn my dog.

~Cherie

Comments (27)

• prill
    12 years ago

Boxer - I'm so, so sorry for your loss. There just are no words at times like this.
    We've all been through it and it's the worst part of owning our beloved pets.
    Please know that we're all wishing you the best and know that Cleo knew how much you loved her.
    You did the right thing and soon you'll know that in your heart.

Please post over in kitchens. There are so many people there who would want to know and who respect and care for you.
    All my best. Priscilla

• dees_1
    12 years ago

(((((Cherie)))))

I am sad for you. Losing our pets is hard but we are blessed with the time they give us. Your love for her will forever be in your heart.

I totally understand as I still miss my 18-1/2 year old cat who passed in July. But then again, I miss all the animals I've been fortunate to have in my life.

• cat_mom
    12 years ago

boxerups I send you a million, plus a million more cyber-hugs, and would send a million more if I knew they would in some way help to take away the hurt left behind after your beloved boxer left for heaven. You have always given so much to those of us on GW, please know that you will be in the hearts of many as you bear this loss.

With love and (((HUGS))),

your GW friend, cat_mom

• schoolhouse_gw
    12 years ago

Please accept my condolences. It's always so sad for us when they go.

• homebodymom
    12 years ago

I am so sorry for the loss of your beautiful girl. Everyone here knows the pain of your loss. There are no words to take that away, only time.

((((hugs))))

• ynnej
    12 years ago

I'm sorry for your loss. Have you heard of the Rainbow Bridge? http://www.petloss.com/rainbowbridge.htm
    Hugs to you.

• Jeane Gallo
    12 years ago

My heart goes out to you and your husband. I know how difficult it is to make that final decision. You feel guilty even though you know it is the best for them. I believe that our beloved pets will be reunited with us in the hereafter. And they will be happy and healthy once again. I am so sorry for your loss.

• boxerpups
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you all so much.
    Jeanegallo, I appreciate your words of kindness.

Catmom-you know me from kitchens. I only hope that others
    can see me the way my dog did. Thank you. Kindness back
    at you a million times.

ynnej,
    Yes, I have heard of Rainbow bridge. I had forgotten.
    Thank you this will be helpful to me.

Prill. You've been there. I cried with you. thank you.

HOmebody and school . thank you.

Dee-s, I still miss my cat that died 20 years ago. He
    was my soul mate. Until of course I met C.
    I pray they are together cuddling thinking of me.

• Lily316
    12 years ago

As I have said here before, I have been thru this many times, and it seems to get worse each time. I'm so sorry for your loss: what a sweet dog she was. I think I've had close to 20 pets in my life , and I know how some are your heart pets. My first cat was like that , and I think of him a lot. You gotta think that someone who was so loved would be reunited with you someday. Anyway I hope so.

• petaloid
    12 years ago

I'm so sorry. We have a boxer boy and we love him very much. I hate to think of the time we will have to say goodbye to him.

All my best to you.

• petra_gw
    12 years ago

I am so very sorry for your loss. We lost our Boxer girl in 2007 and both still miss her so much. She died shortly before her 9th birthday. We still talk about her every day, somehow there is always something to remind us of her. Big cyberhugs to you, I know how you feel.

• Elly_NJ
    12 years ago

I understand. It is impossible to describe the loss and the hole in you that they leave behind.

• beegood_gw
    12 years ago

I have been a Boxer Mom to many boxers in the last 25 years and feel so sorry that you lost yours. Saying good bye is so hard but in the end that is the most compassion we can show our faithful buddy. He is at the rainbow bridge waiting for you, Hugs ingrid

• jomuir
    12 years ago

what a beautiful dog you had. On another forum I visit, they talk about 'heart dogs'. Sounds like C is your heart dog.

So sorry for your loss. But she isn't suffering anymore. The only thing worse than losing a loved pet is seeing it suffer in pain.

• quasifish
    12 years ago

I'm so sorry for your loss. She sounds like a wonderful dog, and beautiful too. (((HUGS)))

• pamghatten
    12 years ago

Very sorry to read about your loss ... she sounds like she was a wonderful dog and will be very much missed.

Big hugs!!

• cal_dreamer
    12 years ago

I'm so sorry, losing a pet is very hard.

• Ninapearl
    12 years ago

i'm so very sorry for your loss. :(

Old Dogs Never Die

We have a secret, you and I
    that no one else will know
    For who, but I, can see you lie
    each night in fire's glow.

And who, but I, can reach my hand
    before we go to bed
    And feel the living warmth of you
    and touch your silken head.

And who, but I, walk woodland paths
    and see ahead of me
    Your small form racing in the wind
    so young again and free.

And who, but I, can see you swim
    in every brook I pass
    And when I call, no one but I
    can see the bending grass.

author unknown

• momo7
    12 years ago

Cherie,

I hope I don't come across as too crazy posting over here as well.

Last night after my little guy crawled into bed with us, I just couldn't go back to sleep and I spent the rest of the night crying off and on - thinking of my old lab, Ben, and your loss. Although I suspect my tears were more caused by the recent loss of my DB, it was my dog I was thnking about and feeling the renewal of guilt for not bringing him to the vet when I should have. Even though I thought I had made peace with myself about that decision.

All this to say that I re-read my post this morning and was afraid that you might have believed that I thought you shouldn't have bought poor Cleo to the vet when you did. Of course that wasn't my intention. I had hoped to make you feel better about putting off that decision in order to spend a little more time with her.

If I inadverdently made you feel worse at this difficult time, I'm really sorry.

Sherri

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    12 years ago

We are all with you at this time and always. May your grief become lighter with each day and may she remain in your heart always.

BOXER ANGELS
    For those Boxer Babies in the sky
    Who have left our loving arms
    Don't stop to ask or wonder why
    Just know they're free from harm

No pain or fright confronts them now
    They've left that all behind
    They're embracing joy and freedom
    And still live in our minds

Eyes are bright and seeing clear
    Velvet skin is healed
    Legs aren't stiff, and ears can hear
    Our love they still can feel

Embrace their memory, hold it tight
    Wipe away your tears
    The Boxer joy that filled your life
    Will last throughout the years

Think of them with happy thoughts
    Say a thankful prayer
    All those happy Boxer angels
    Still know that we care

written by Dolly Juhlin June '97

Namaste

Ginny and the shelties

• calliope
    12 years ago

Ninapearl.........thanks for that lovely poem. It's true you know.

She was such a fine and beautiful dog. I know how much you must miss her and I know how much it hurts when you lose a much loved pet companion and friend.

• cindyandmocha
    12 years ago

Boxerpups, lots of hugs today. I am so very very sorry for your loss. I followed your posts on the kitchen forum as well. Do post there. I know there were a circle of us who were redecorating or designing a kitchen with our furbabies in mind.

It seems like we've all had a tough year and so many losses. When I put up my ornaments last week I found the ones I had forgotten I'd purchased with Mocha and Rusty in mind - a couple of bears (Mocha-bear... Rusty-bear).. It was hard, but I am trying to remember what they taught me (or tried to).

You did the right thing and you will get through this. Many many hugs to everyone who lost a best friend this year.

• spedigrees z4VT
    12 years ago

Boxerpups, I'm so sorry for your loss. RIP "C"

Ninapearl, that is a lovely poem.

• boxerpups
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you everyone

Momo7, (Sherri)
    You are too sweet. I did not think you intended anything
    mean at all. You are very kind and I appreciate your
    sweet words.
    Always, Cherie

honalee,
    Beautiful poem. I love this, thank you so much.

• schmaltzy
    12 years ago

So sorry for your loss!

Beth

• Georgysmom
    12 years ago

I don't come here often but just happen to today. Everyone who has ever owned a pet knows what you are going through. It's just such a tremendous loss. When my dog died very unexpectedly two years ago, I was in a black hole for such a long time. It hurts so bad. But I tell you, when I weigh the years of joy we share with our fur babies against the pain when that inevitable day comes, it's worth every minute of the anguish. (((((boxerpups))))

• fl_gypsy
    12 years ago

boxerpup,
    I'm a little late reading this but still want to send my heartfelt sympathies and say that I love that beautiful face. What many people don't understand is that losing a well loved pet is like losing a family member. I've lost many pets over the years and I now have four boys who's ages are 14, 11 and two are 9. I see age creeping up on them every day, especially the 14 year old and it breaks my heart to think of losing them. Unfortunately that is part of loving and having pets. I would rather love and be loved by a pet and endure the hurt tho than to do without the joy and love that they bring into our lives and it sounds like C brought plenty of both into yours. C will live in your heart and your memories forever and no other dog will ever take her place as she has her own special nook in your heart belonging to her alone. I'm sure, tho, there is still room in your heart for another furbaby to make it's place one day.