Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beegood_gw

Yams & Sweet potatoes

beegood_gw
14 years ago

My Boxer & Shih Tzus love raw Yams & Sweet potatoes. They get them as treats. Is there anything in these veggies that can harm them. Thanks for any info .

Comments (9)

• Gina_W
    14 years ago

They're not harmful but they are starchy/caloric - so use them sparingly (dogs appreciate tiny pieces as much as big ones).

• mazer415
    14 years ago

Raw or cooked???

• beegood_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I feed them raw. Only small pieces. A yam or S.P. lasts more than a week between the 3 of them. And these are only about 8 inch ones.

• ladybugfruit
    14 years ago

I am guessing these are given as treats as you have described giving them small pieces. If you want them to get any nutritional value from them however, they should be cooked. Dogs digestive systems don't have the proper enzymes to break down plant material in the raw state. Either way, it's a treat for them though! :)

• beegood_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes these are just treats. I figure they are probably better then a lot of those cookies etc. And they are cheap and my dogs love them. Tried carrots but they just chew on them and all I am left with is a bunch of carrot pieces to clean up.

• mazer415
    14 years ago

You should really cook the treats.

• beegood_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

WHY should I cook them.? Just curious. They are not part of their regular food. Thanks every one for your input.

• mazer415
    14 years ago

3. Vegetables
    Vegetables include plants that grow above and below the ground such as: green leafy
    vegetables, asparagus, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, celery, chard, dandelion greens,
    dark leaf lettuce, kale, okra, parsley, sprouts, squash, pumpkin, etc. (above) and:
    sweet potatoes, yams, carrots, etc. (below). However, they must be in a digestable
    form, similar to what would be in a prey animal's stomach. We can mimic this by
    chopping in a food processor or blender or chopping with a knife and lightly steaming
    them. It is best to leave out potatoes, onions and rhubarb. Limit or avoid raw legumes
    (peas and beans), but do use their sprouted seeds. Make sure that there is only a low
    level of the starchy vegetables like pumpkin (although sweet potatoes do tend to be
    extremely digestible especially for those with allergies), and not a preponderance of the
    sugary vegetables such as carrots.

Sweet Potatoes and Oxalates

Sweet potatoes are among a small number of foods that contain measurable amounts of oxalates, naturally-occurring substances found in plants, animals, and human beings. When oxalates become too concentrated in body fluids, they can crystallize and cause health problems. For this reason, individuals with already existing and untreated kidney or gallbladder problems may want to avoid eating sweet potatoes. Laboratory studies have shown that oxalates may also interfere with absorption of calcium from the body. Yet, in every peer-reviewed research study we've seen, the ability of oxalates to lower calcium absorption is relatively small and definitely does not outweigh the ability of oxalate-containing foods to contribute calcium to the meal plan. If your digestive tract is healthy, and you do a good job of chewing and relaxing while you enjoy your meals, you will get significant benefits - including absorption of calcium - from calcium-rich foods plant foods that also contain oxalic acid.

• beegood_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you. I guess there will be no more raw Ys & SPs for the dogs. The last thing I would want for them to have is kidney failure.I worked on a dialysis unit for 25 yrs and tho it isn't the same it is not something I would knowingly do to my dogs. Life with kidney failure no matter who has it is not nice.