Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newhomeseeker

Cat pulling stiches out

newhomeseeker
15 years ago

My kitten was spayed last monday (8 days ago). I've been very careful not letting her run around or jump on things as not to tear her stiches out. I let her out of my bedroom last night and she was crazy, running, trying to play with the other cats and I had to calm her down. She was allowed out for about five hours while I supervised her. Well this morning (she is now confined to the bedroom again) I heard her chewing on something that sounded like plastic and I found her trying to pull her stiches out. She had managed to get one of them out nearest the bottom of her stomach (near her tail) and there are four left. I do not know when she pulled it out (didn't do it when I was watching she was working on the next one) So I called the vet and they said as long as the skin isn't gapping open it should be ok (its pink but not open). They gave me an elizabethan collar for her to wear. I haven't put it on her yet as I'm at work but will do so as soon as I get home (I checked on her at lunch time and she had left the rest of the stiches alone. She is scheduled to have the stiches removed in 10-14 days from her sugery (today is day 8).

Should I be concerned about the suture she pulled out? Should I take her to vet so they can repair it? I've heard horror stories about cats pulling out their stiches and bleeding to death so I'm very worried.

Comments (4)