Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suzieque_gw

Traveled w/Dog on US Air?

suzieque
11 years ago

Hi - I have a 10 lb. chihuahua mix. I am looking for people who have specifically flown with their pet on US Airlines. I know the dimensions that US Air allows, but am having trouble finding just the right carrier.

If you have flown with your pet in the cabin on US Airlines, what carrier have you used?

Thanks.

Comments (17)

• suzieque
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Correction: US Airways (not US Airlines)

• airforceguy
    11 years ago

If you do a google search us airways approved pet carriers You should find quite a few!! As well keep in mind most carriers only allow so many dogs in the cabin at once--so book early.

• suzieque
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for your reply. I've done lots of google searches but there are none that US Air specifically approves that I can find, and I've also learned that "airline approved" carriers are not always so; it's a marketing thing.

So, I posted here looking for people who have specifically flown with their pet on US Air, to see what they used.

And you're right - most carriers only allow a few. US Air said it's first come, first served, so I have to arrive early.

• airforceguy
    11 years ago

On Us Airs website they give the specifications. If your carrier is within those specifications you should be fine. Print it from their website and take it with you

We traveled from DC to Nicaragua with our dog and 2 cats. What I did before the day of travel--I took the cat carriers (they traveled with us in cabin) and the dog crate (underneath) to the airport and got the air carrier to ensure they approved!!

• suzieque
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I know. They give the specs on the website. I get it. I guess I haven't been clear. I am going to buy a carrier. There are so many, and so I thought that I might be able to find someone who actually has flown their dog in the cabin with them on a US Air flight. First-hand experience vs all the web searches and specs.

Good idea to check it in person ahead of the trip, though. Thanks.

• airforceguy
    11 years ago

I know what your asking,lol As long as your carrier matches US Airways specifications--the carrier will be fine. Another thing one has to consider--How comfortable your dog is in that carrier! If there is not enough room in that carrier for your dog, they can still deny you! So just because a carrier works for 1 person, does not mean it can work for you--plus you will be dealing with different ticketing agents. So as long as one is within US Airs carrier specifications(print off the web page) and your dog has enough room, you have a leg to stand on. Saying Freddy from the internet carrier was fine for his US Airway flight, is going to mean nothing.
    Funny thing when we traveled with our cats--no 1 asked about them--at all!! Safe travels

• annzgw
    11 years ago

As long as the carrier is a soft-sided carrier you shouldn't have any problems. The only problem I had one time was with a hard sided carrier that wouldn't go completely under my seat. It was a shuttle airline on the second leg of the trip so the plane was smaller.
    I still had room for my legs and I threw a blanket over my legs and the crate......the flight attendant never said a word.

I've traveled with small dogs and also a cat, all using soft-side carriers.
    Even if it's slightly larger than USAir's specs the carriers are usually flexible enough to squeeze under the seat. My current carrier is made by Sherpa and the one in the link below meets USAir specs. You'll pay more for that Delta logo so shop locally or online for a similar one.

My carrier is 18" long but I've made it work!

Here is a link that might be useful: carrier

• jill1273
    11 years ago

Suzieque..I'm a flight attendant at US Airways..we see lots of different carriers all the time. Any soft sided carrier will be fine (they look like duffle bags with mesh sidings). Make sure is has some thickness to the bottom (padding/mat/etc) and a shoulder strap is helpful when struggling down the aisle. You will probably just need a small one since you have a small dog, so it will probably fit under seat on any of our aircraft types.. There is a limit of 2 dogs in the cabin so make sure you mention when you book your ticket. They're not as stingy with the bag as you think, as long as the dog has some room to get comfortable and is not squishing out of it is fine.. I usually don't even realize there's an animal on board till I see it on my paperwork...Looking at Petsmart's website, I've seen the Petmate/Bergan/Sharpa brands..Also, just fyi..don't book a seat in the emergency exit rows or bulkhead row (first row of coach with a partition wall in front of you)..can't sit there with an animal..good luck and happy flying!!!

• suzieque
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you, thank you, thank you! Jill, you've set my mind at ease. Interestingly, the woman I spoke with on the phone from US Airways said that the limit is now 6 dogs in the cabin. Yikes - if it's 2, I'll make sure I get there really, really early (she said it's first come, first served).

I did end up purchasing the one that annz linked to (thanks, annz). I bought mine from Amazon and it should arrive today. My trip is in a few weeks so I'll have some time to get the pooch familiar with it.

Thanks so much!

• airforceguy
    11 years ago

I'm surprised its first come first served!! Doesn't make much sense to me why they would do that--what happens if 10 people show up with dogs?? One does see a lot more people traveling with the small dogs--especially during the holidays. Have a good trip

• jill1273
    11 years ago

To clarify..it's 2 dogs per cabin (first class and coach, so 4 total) but they may have changed it to 6..we are usually the last to know things..lol! I've really never seen more than 2 or 3 on a flight so the odds are in your favor unless you're heading to a dog show!!

• suzieque
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks again, both. Yes, I agree that first come, first served is odd, but I'll make sure I'm there early, aka first! And yes, hopefully there's no dog show where I'm going. :-)

• jill1273
    11 years ago

I would call reservations the night before with your flight # and just ask them if there are any other dogs listed for the flight..then you'll know how early you should get there.

• suzieque
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Not a bad idea, but how would any other dogs be listed? The agent said they don't take that info before hand.

• suzieque
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Not a bad idea, but how would any other dogs be listed? The agent said they don't take that info before hand.

• jill1273
    11 years ago

They should have it listed since there is a fee for bringing an animal..not totally sure, but it couldn't hurt to check if you want.

• airforceguy
    11 years ago

I called for the fun of it a few days back--that agent told me the same thing--first come first served and one pays at the airport!! But of course it doesn't hurt to try and call...As we all know talk to 1 person, and they tell you something else,lol