Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
birding_nut

Anyone's dog afraid of their own farts?

birding_nut
17 years ago

I have a labrador retriever that, when she passes gas (you know the ones you can hear), she shoots up and runs like someone goosed her in the bottom. Then turns around with this expression on her face like, "What the he_ _ was that?!". It doesn't happen on the silent but deadly ones. It is like when they are loud, it scares her! It is kind of humerous and my wife and I have busted a gut numerous times over this. Was wondering if anyone else's dogs do this.

Thanks.

BN

Comments (47)

• alison
    17 years ago

I've never seen an animal scared by the sound of it's own gas, but when my old cat would pass one of the really stinky ones he always looked shocked, and then stared at me very accusingly.

"He who smelt it, dealt it!"

• quirkyquercus
    17 years ago

Mine don't normally have audible farts but not long ago I was taking them someplace and Beasley who is extremely anxious in the car and usually throws up, was put in the front seat on a piece of cardboard incase he did throw up and he was sitting there trembling and terrified and then the light turned green, he slid, boom the loudest fart then he jumped up like someone stuck a firecracker under his bum. But he usually farts in his sleep and you can't hear them but you sure can smell them. LOL

• share_oh
    17 years ago

LOL - those are too funny!

I remember one of my dogs let out an audible toot once and he turned around and looked at his behind like what was that?!

Usually they are the silent but deadly ones... I'll say "pshew! Who did that??" and the dogs all look guilty!

Sher

• mazer415
    17 years ago

Excuse me....I have the winner. 87 pounds of pure super chicken in a dog suit. NO MATTER silent, no matter deadly, loud, or any other way, when my dog farts, he shoots up out of the position he was in and runs away EVERYTIME. His ears are back and he acts like someone just lit a firecracker off near his butt. I ALWAYS ask him if it was "a burnie" and comfort him accoringly, how sick is that???!?!!

• labmomma
    17 years ago

I thought it was just ours - middle child constantly farts out loud as he goes up the steps to the second floor. He hurries faster as he hears himself. We are upstairs laughing because with hardwood you can hear a pin drop. Old gal and young one fart out loud but don't seem to be phased by it.

• quirkyquercus
    17 years ago

Not to hijack the thread as they say but the other day he let out a loud human-like burp too. Never heard that before. He was running around right after dinner that might have had something to do with it.

• noinwi
    17 years ago

This is hilarious! Our current dog does the looking behind him bit, but a Dobie we once had would just poot away while going about his business like it was all in a days work. And he could really clear a room! I've heard Dobies are notorious for being odoriferous,and I have to agree!

• gardenut213
    17 years ago

I am totally cracking up over this thread! Yes...our dog Belle will fart, and then jump up and look behind her with a scared look, ears down and slink away. We just laugh, then clear the room. P.U.!

• labmomma
    17 years ago

QQ - I have heard my guys burp too. The first time I heard it was the old gal who has so many problems the newest is GI difficulty, so I assumed it was just part of the GI thing. I have now heard the other two burp as well.

I love this thread too. I think it hysterical how much we actually get from our pets, laughter at their sometimes odd behavior being one of the best!

Its nice to have a funny post when its usually a problem going on with one of the pets.

Just enjoying every single one them!

• lil_green_thumb
    17 years ago

I have been laughing since finding this post - to the point of tears!!
    Since doggie has gotten older she no longer jumps or looks behind her. The smell is what gets her now! LoL!
    Of course if DH farts I ask Jorja if she did it. She sniffs her own butt and will bark if it wasn't her as if to say It was Daddy! If she did fart she will sniff then get a funny look on her face and move away. Like she is embarrassed or surprised that it was her!

• ggschmerl
    17 years ago

My little Emma farted loud one time, and she whipped her head around and growled and snarled at her butt. It was hilarious.

Mindy

• caliloo
    17 years ago

Dobie mom here and yep - she is afraid of the audible ones too! And yes, they smell horrific!

OMG I crack up because if she hears one it will send her into a "tear around the house at full blast" frenzy. And yes, she has actually barked at her own butt.

And people wonder why I (affectionately) call her idiot princess! LOLOLOL!

Alexa

• quirkyquercus
    17 years ago

Farting is always funny suject matter.
    If the world is ever about to come to an end, just before the nuke drops or the asteroid falls, I want someone to tell me to pull their finger.

• chelone
    17 years ago

Our dog gets the leftovers from our plates. We eat a lot of fresh vegetables, whole grains, beans... yeah, yeah, yeah.

Nah, when they're audible he simply turns and looks in the direction from whence they came. Just the way he does when we do it; must have something to do with praise. We're always looking at each other saying, "good one!", "nice hang time", "Wow!".

Mazer, try the praise! works like a charm, lol.

;)

• toomuchglass
    17 years ago

When I first read the title - I thought is said "the owner's farts" ...LOL
    My Rottie is like like Mazers ---
    You'd think a secret hand reached up through the floor and grabbed her butt ~~~

• boopug
    17 years ago

I have almost as good a time doing the opposite. One of my pugs will be under the blankets, I`ll fart, it scares them and they will jump up , turn to try to get out , going woo woo and yepping the whole time. Yeah, I`m a pig !! lol

• weed30 St. Louis
    17 years ago

ROFL! Great thread! Yep, both of my dogs fart. Maggie looks at her butt like 'what the heck was that?!' Taco, oh boy is this dog talented. When I had her on regular dog food, OH MY GOD! Some of you speak of your dog's farts being able to clear a room. There is no way that they smell as bad as Taco's did. Absolutely horrific! And they were....THICK...for lack of a better description. They didn't dissipate, they hung around like a dense fog or something. Really disgusting. Since changing her food, her gas has gotten much better. Um...wait...that didn't sound right.

She also does the running up the stairs farting with every step thing. That cracks me up!

I am glad that they both fart though...so convenient to be able to blame mine on a creature that can't talk ;)

• mazer415
    17 years ago

My dogs farts are so bad that they are actually like bubbles floating around, oily bubbles and they float around to each person in the room getting that person slimed as they float past...The worst, being trapped in a car on a cold rainy day with the heater on and the windows rolled up. It is no wonder he gets so upset when they are released. Poor guy, I never fail to console him.

• johndeere
    17 years ago

I have never had a dog that did that?I hear people talk about gassy dogs.But none of mine ever did it that I know of?Maybe its in the training?Did you dog owners teach them that trick?Or maybe Shelties and Collies just do not have it in them?

• JerriEllijay
    17 years ago

boopug, I do a similar thing to one of my dogs. If I send out an audible one while he's sitting on my lap... he'll jump as if I've pinched him. heeeheeee hee

• 3dawgs
    17 years ago

We call our boxer Stinkbomb sometimes. She always looks around after she farts like "who did that?"
    Jen

• beeanne
    17 years ago

like some of you I had a dog that would look at his butt like "what the hell was that noise. Did that come outta me??"
    Another one burped, but it was like he saved them. Then he would come up, lay his head in your lap, belch real loud and then walk away and go lay back down.This may have been a trained response because when he first did it accidentally he got lots of laughter and attention. We continued to do that and the 12 yrs of his life he saved his burps for those he loved.

• toomuchglass
    17 years ago

I can't stop laughing !!!!!!!!!!!!!

• weed30 St. Louis
    17 years ago

beeanne, too funny! You reminded me of my cousin's Great Dane. I was over one day, and we were on the couch watching TV. Thunder came over and sat down -- we were eye to eye. Something happened on the show, and I looked at Thunder and said "What do you think about that?" And he let out this HUGE belch. It was so funny!

• Rudebekia
    17 years ago

Just to let you all know that this is not confined to dogs. While I have never heard an audible "toot" from one of my cats, they do pass gas on occasion and, yes, I have been given the accusatory "look." (Of course, cats also give their owners "the look" for lots of other things. I get it if I spray on perfume, whistle, peel an orange, etc. Cats have perfected "the look.")

• beeanne
    17 years ago

And it's amazing how they can switch from "the look" of disgust, to "the look" of love in the blink of an eye.

• birding_nut
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Wow, I am so glad I posted this question! I showed this to my wife and she was amazed at how many other dogs are afraid of their farts too. Now at least we don't think our dog is so strange! Thanks, everyone.

BN

• xspoiledobratx_yahoo_com
    17 years ago

OMG...I can't believe I found this. My Chihuahua does this. She is terrified of her own farts. It is funny! But lately it has got so bad. Now it seem silent or loud she gets scared. She runs looking for someone to comfort her. It happens everyday! I'm worried about her because she gets so scared and it can last for hours! It usually happens at night and she insists on sitting on your head!! My vet said to give her a little bit of childrens pepto. I wish there was a way to show her not to be scared!

• munkos
    17 years ago

Our boxer will let a little toot out, then look at his bum, creep forward, put his ears back, head down and wag just the tip of his tail like he's all embarassed! its about the cutest thing ever. Then if you ask him if he tooted, he gets pretty excited, lol. I havent heard my beagle fart, but I've smelled her, yick. Though Im pretty sure she'd flip if she ever heard one come out of herself. Shes afraid of most noises. She can outbelch the best of them though!

• bbaird
    17 years ago

I'm at work, and, I'm trying not to laugh out loud. My eyes are tearing, however. I guess it's like whne you try to hold a fart in :) This is the funniest post.

My cat doesn't fart, but, if an audible one goes off near her when she's resting or sleeping, she jumps up startled.

A joke:

A girl brings a new boy home for dinner. After dinner in the living room, the famliy bloodhound, Duke, is sitting near the boyfriend on the couch. The boyfriend lets out a silent (secret) fart, hoping that nobody will notice. The smell can't be contained. The father yells, "Duke!".

The boyfriend thinks to himself, "Gee, this is great. I can fart away and they'll think the dog did it.". So, he lets another one rip. The father yells, "Duke!". A minute later, the boyfriend lets go another one.

The father yells, "Duke! Get away from that boy before he sh*ts all over you!".

• joepyeweed
    17 years ago

If your dogs are farting alot and burping alot you may want to change their diet.

My dogs don't fart, and if they did it would smell like roses. ;-)

• pranjal
    17 years ago

Hilarious thread !! One of our cats, Max, used to fart, barely audible, but real obnoxious odour - and then give the others the 'look'; haven't heard him pass gas for quite some time, and boy are we happy about it.

When DH lets out a loud one, the other cat, Simba, jumps up at the source of the noise.

• immrlizard
    17 years ago

My crazy dog did the same kind of thing at Christmas. My Mom was over and the dogs haven't seen her for a couple years so they were over by her all day. We asked her not to give them too much of the goodies but you know how that is. My lab shep mix let one rip that night then commenced to barking at it. The terrier mix was in the other room came back in the room and helped. Together they scared it away. It took a long time to stop laughing at that. This thread just started it all again. The terrier mix is too much of a lady for that. She does occasionally let one lose at night. Then the tail goes. I think that is the bad part.

• coolmama
    17 years ago

This is one of the funniest things I have ever read...thanks for sharing!

• lmr2020
    13 years ago

I know this is an old thread, but I just found it via google. Can't believe that my Scottish Terrier is not the only dog that is afraid of his own emissions! He jumps up and runs every time he passes gas and it usually startles one of us when it happens. Late at night is the worst, especially if he's sleeping in our bedroom. Nice to know we, and our Bailey, are not alone!

• angelaloudbear_rocketmail_com
    13 years ago

ha my mom and i googled this because our golden retriver is also scared of his farts..hahaha glad to know we are not the only ones! he sleeps on a foot stool by our sofa..he just launched a bomb, jumped off stool, slid on hardwood floors barked at his own ass...haha good times.

• mmontag
    12 years ago

Yep I had an Australian Shepard who was scared of her own farts. It would always scare my mom, especially at night. If my mom would get up to get a drink of water or somthing the dog would creep up behind her and then all of the sudden, phfft.. Aiih Aiih Aiih.. and the dog would be running full speed ahead but sliding on the kitchen floor and usually knock a bunch of brooms over or something. My mom would be there with spilled water and clutching her chest saying, "oh my god!! Damn dog!!! Scared of her own damn farts!!".

One time I was in the bathroom at night and that silly dog crept up to the door and sat down. All of a sudden, raeaeh.. Aiih Aiih Aiih boom.. she farted, screamed, jumped up, and ran right into the door all in a couple of seconds. It scared the crap out of me! Once again I was half laughing and half annoyed, my heart racing in the middle of the night!

We thought she was unique but it sounds like many dogs have the same problem!

• lexi
    10 years ago

Just for the heck of it
    I googled this. My schnauzer does this
    Its Hilarious glad to know
    He's not alone lol

• socks
    10 years ago

So funny!!!! I think I read this some time ago, but it's definitely worth rereading. (Must get a tissue for my eyes!)

• sylviatexas1
    10 years ago

The old couple had been married many years, & the wife was still chiding her husband for his farts.

The wife had gone deaf, & she had about 9 cats inside the house.

Every night the old couple sat in their rocking chairs, reading or knitting or some such.

One night, the old guy let out a really bad fart.

When his wife turned around & glared at him, he pointed at one of the cats.

The wife jumped up & chased the cats outside with her broom.

Next night, same thing.

This went on & on & on.

Eventually, every time the old man farted, the cats ran out the door.

• vicki7
    10 years ago

I've been coming here for years, but never saw this thread. I'm reading the posts to hubby and laughing so hard there's tears rolling down my face. Funniest thing I've seen in a long, long time.
    My schnauzer farts, but it doesn't scare her. She just turns and looks at her butt like 'what was THAT?'

• Dopplergang
    10 years ago

I'm new here and brought by this discussion. Just glad to hear it is normal for some dogs to react when they fart loud. Our JRT Doppler did and we are worried on first few times but find it funny especially when everyone is resting on the living room and he farts with matching weird reaction, he doesn't seemed scared though and acts like "what just happened?".

• Nancy in Mich
    10 years ago

I know that "what just happened?" look!

My almost 14 yo beagle/golden mix, Toby, is going deaf. He can hear some things, though. He does that same look when I talk to him. In his case, though, every time I say something to him that he can hear partially, he turns and looks toward the front of the house like the sound is coming from there. I can be standing right in front of him, say something with him looking directly at me, and he turns to look toward the front!

• evannaz69
    8 years ago

Yes! One time I was home alone and my dog farted, and ran of the couch because he was scared.

• elpaso1
    8 years ago

My horse fared once and spooked himself while I was riding him.

• PRO
    Kayylö
    8 years ago

hahaha, my German shepherd dog always scared his farts when he was a puppy....and we really want to charge environmental tax when he farts too much.