Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caligal_gw

Turkey day for your pets?

caligal
12 years ago

What special treat will you give your pet this Thanksgiving? We will be gone half the day, so I want to leave something yummy.

Frozen kong treats will be left at our home for our golden. He will get hours of enjoyment out of those.

Some turkey when we return, too!

Comments (13)

• schoolhouse_gw
    12 years ago

I hadn't thought of it, but perhaps I'll bring a doggy, or should I say, kitty bag home from my brother's house.

gobble, gobble!

• Meghane
    12 years ago

They'll get a little of whatever we're having.

This is the first year in a very long time we aren't traveling for T-day and they aren't stuck at the boarding kennel. So we plan to celebrate!

• caligal
    Original Author
    12 years ago

meghane, sometimes it is nice to just stay home. your pets will be so happy! I may ask my sister if we can bring our dog. I hate when he is alone for extended periods of time.

• lynn_d
    12 years ago

They will all get a tiny bit of turkey and dressing with a bit of gravy. I know that it is silly but we hate leaving them alone on holidays....they haven't any idea but I feel so guilty!

• caligal
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, we are thankful for them.... so we can let them know by sharing some special foods!

• Ninapearl
    12 years ago

i'll be away from home for most of the day. i will leave my 2 with kongs stuffed with peanut butter than i will freeze tonight and i will give them bully sticks, too. by the time they are all done with those, they'll be ready for an extended nap. :)

happy thanksgiving, everyone!

• GreenDesigns
    12 years ago

Be very careful sharing people food with your pets. The period between Thanksgiving and New Years is the prime period when pancreatitis strikes pets---all because their owners overdid the people treats. No spicy foods. No dressing with onions and spices. No high sodium gravy. Just a bit of turkey and some of the veggies if they aren't in sauce or overly seasoned.

• spedigrees z4VT
    12 years ago

Our dog will be eating turkey all week, as will we. Brynn's turkey will be pulled off the bone in small bites with baked ground eggshell, enzymes, and vitamin/minerals mixed in, and turkey juice drizzled over. My cat may eat a bit of turkey as well, but she really prefers her chicken.

I home cook for all our pets, so to them, Thanksgiving isn't anything out of the ordinary, except for the fact that we're both home with them all this long weekend.

• susanjn
    12 years ago

There's something wrong with my cats!

Usually when we take out the turkey, they start circling like sharks. Today they just ignored it. It was a really good turkey, too.

They must have become vegetarians. :)

• Lily316
    12 years ago

I felt bad putting the dogs in their crates for the day. I did take them on a long walk first and brought them plate scrapings from dinner..turkey, potatoes, asparagus, squash..They loved it. and forgave me.

• jomuir
    12 years ago

ours got turkey & carrots that cooked under the turkey, on paper plates. They usually don't get table scraps but I've been giving them rotisserie chicken scraps lately so they were keen for the turkey.

They almost ate the paper plates! Now it's been 3 days of turkey & I'm afraid I've created 2 little monsters.

• calliope
    12 years ago

I boiled chicken for broth in which to cook noodles, and after I chilled it and pulled off the fatty skins, the pup got some snacks off the meat. Yesterday, the DH fed him some turkey and gravy..........I told him to go light on it, but I suspect he didn't and the dog barfed on my rug. Yeah, agreeing with green designs.....no onions, light on the spices and fat-free. Pancreatitis is nasty stuff.

• pamghatten
    12 years ago

My 2 dogs were invited to go to dinner too. My sister and BIL had dinner at their house and they have 2 dogs ... so the 4 dogs played like mad and got fed turkey (from the Amish) by my sister. My sister overdoes it with her dogs and people food at the table.

My dogs know better ... if they get something, it's after I've eaten and it's in their bowls. My sister is always amazed at how gently my dogs take something from her fingers ... her dogs, not so gentle!