Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jamannor

need ideas- Dog won't use restroom on the dirt at new home.

jamannor
10 years ago

My wife and I just built a house in Michigan and moved in last week. We have a golden doodle dog that is refusing to go to the bathroom on the dirt plot. Since it's pretty much the middle of November in Michigan and it's pretty cold already I don't think planting grass will work until the Spring.

Currently we've been taking the dog on walks and letting him use the restroom on the way (always picking up after ourselves) but today I had a neighbor very upset at me. I don't really understand the big deal since I'm picking up after him but she said her daughter has immune disorders and she compared it to a human pooping in the middle of my yard. She tried to be a nice as possible about the whole thing but I honestly don't know what to do.

I want to be a good neighbor but my dog also needs to use the restroom. Does home depot or Lowes sell sod this late in the season? Will dogs go to the restroom on artificial grass? Will dogs go to the restroom on woodchips or hay? We are planning on getting sod in the spring and this won't be an issue. I just need a temporary fix.

Comments (9)

• laurief_gw
    10 years ago

I think you've already provided good options yourself. Buy a section of artificial turf. Buy a few bags of mulch. Buy a bale of straw. Other possibilities are sand and sawdust. Spread each of these in a separate spot on your lot as far from your house as possible. Hopefully your dog will choose one or more of those as an acceptable surface.

It would also be helpful to collect his stool while on walks and bring it back to place on the new "potty surfaces" at your home. That should help him make the connection between the new surfaces and acceptable places to do his business.

Laurie

• handymac
    10 years ago

We had a pony(male-neutered) that would not pee on hard surfaces---dirt/concrete/asphalt/etc. I just figured he did not like getting his feet/legs splattered.

Go get some sod(artificial will be difficult to keep clean and odor free) or try the mulch idea.

• calliope
    10 years ago

They can certainly get quirky with their poopy routines, can't they? I had a most wonderful dog I adopted as a young adult dog who must have been disciplined severely for choosing inappropriate spots to deposit his payloads. He would not poo on the ground, but parked them on anything raised up off the ground. I suspect, in his mind, as long as it wasn't on the floor or ground, it was OK. I would find the deposits (especially if he had an accident in the house) in wild places. Once in my daughter's ballet slipper right before a performance, once on top of a floor waxer ( I will never figure out how he managed that one) and once propped up on the top edge of the woodwork. He is long gone, but certainly not forgotten.

• socks
    10 years ago

As for your neighbor, she is going through a lot with a child with medical issues, so I understand her reaction. Don't allow your dog to poop pr P there. Avoid the house, jog past it or whatever it takes to prevent this from happening.

• socks
    10 years ago

As for your neighbor, she is going through a lot with a child with medical issues, so I understand her reaction. Don't allow your dog to poop pr P there. Avoid the house, jog past it or whatever it takes to prevent this from happening.

• jamannor
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Success! We ended up being able to train the dog to go in the yard. I started collecting it and putting it into a spot that I wanted the dog to go too. It took a couple of days for him to get it but he has had two successful potty experiences. Thanks Laurie for that helpful tip.

• mudhoney
    10 years ago

We have a piece of artificial turf in our dog's kennel and he loves it, took to it with no problem. He always poops on it. I also have several clients who have artificial turf for their dogs. It is super easy to pick the poop up, and if the section is small, you can take it to the driveway and hose it off once in a while. It keeps their feet clean and dry, and you can keep it in a shady or covered area (where sod can't grow).

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    10 years ago

Dogs are so funny!
    My old girl didn't want to get her feet wet this morning so pooped in the middle of the driveway. At least it's outside!
    My old boy has to go off in the woods for privacy.