Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
schoolhouse_gw

Do our pets appreciate music?

schoolhouse_gw
10 years ago

I've always been curious about this. Do dogs and cats "understand" music, i.e. hear it the same way we do? or is it just noise? Does it bother them? I have the Christmas music station on TV playing now. Do they even hear music?

I used to have a dog that watched TV and would come running from another part of the house whenever she heard the theme song to her favorite show or commercial. But was it just certain changes in tone that caught her attention? I realize they probably don't enjoy songs like we do, but you know what I mean.

Comments (9)

• oregpsnow
    10 years ago

I know that some people leave a radio on softly at night if they get a new puppy. And on Animal Planet there was a French Bulldog who constantly watched her "stories" on a big TV and seemed to react to the sound by jumping up at the TV.

My cat doesn't seem to care about the TV or radio but she does seem offended by roaring leaf blowers or the noisy garbage pick-up people. I do think there should be a law against gas-powered leaf blowers :)

• Debbie Downer
    10 years ago

Well there's scientific evidence that cows produce better when classical music is playing - so, maybe cats and dogs like it too. I like to leave the the classical music station on for my cats if I'm gone for a long time. I noticed they were playing classical music in the cat area in the Humane Soc. a few times when I went there recently looking for my lost cat.

• vicki7
    10 years ago

I don't know if they like it or not, but for some reason I always assumed they do. I have 3 dogs, and every time they are left alone, I have soft, classical music playing.

• socks
    10 years ago

I like to leave music on for the pets if I'm gone for several hours. Otherwise, the house is creepily silent. A little stimulation for the sense of hearing can't hurt, right?

• eccentric
    10 years ago

I think it might depend on the dog or cat. Our American Eskimo - he of the hand-like paws knows how to open and close the car windows, turn on the TV with the remote AND press the start button on the small CD player - and he does all regularly so I am going to say yes. He does have a fit though should I sing - can't blame him - pretty awful.

• cparlf
    10 years ago

Our Shi Tzu loved the TV, and would sit there and wait for an animal, dog, or cow or horse whatever, and would bark at it.

My son is a Wheaten terrier, (OK, if you don't understand that, then what can I say) and we leave the TV on for him during the day in our bedroom. He sleeps on our bed, where he can watch TV and look out the back window at the woods. I think even if the only benefit is that it drowns out other noises that would make him bark and run around, it helps him relax and chill so he is ready to go for his run when I get home.

My .02, your mileage may differ.....

• socks
    10 years ago

I understand! My grandson is a Westie!

• ryseryse_2004
    10 years ago

Our two labs wag their tails when Rush Limbaugh's theme song comes on each day. Real dittoheads, those two!

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

RyseRyse - LOL! My Jessie (long passed now) used to come running when she heard the "America's Funniest Home Videos" theme song.