Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deeeeeleeeeete

22 year old cat

Debbie Downer
11 years ago

My cat will be 22 next July. She had the beginning stages of kidney disease a few years back, but is still quite stable. Sometimes drinks/pees more than normal, but not always. (I think feeding nothing but wet food has helped in that regard.) Occasionally pukes up a mucous mess after she eats, but not very often, may or may not be kidney related.

Has given up grooming so she looks a mess, and she sleeps most of the day and then spends the night as she has her entire life, either sleeping next to my head or sitting there purring.

Still uses the litterbox faithfully, except if the other cat gets in her space and terrorizes her (then she just lets loose wherever she happens to be.) If its a sunny day she still goes out on the back porch and sleeps in the sun and occasionally I take her down to the garden in a carrier - its nice to see her still being a cat and finding some enjoyment in life.

So Im not needing any advice at this time about letting go - I think when the time comes the worst of it will be just the sheer loss of it - 22 years of a kitty purring all night next to your head is not something I will easily let go of The only regret is not having her teeth cleaned at 10, or at 15 when it could have been done. The thing is - I thought a 10 year old cat was old! Then I thought 15 was old and she wouldnt live much longer. Little did I know!

Just curious if anyone out there has had such an elderly cat - just how long do they live anyway? And what things have you done to make them more comfortable.

Comments (26)

• Lily316
    11 years ago

I had a Siamese who live to 20 or 21. He was the love of my life. Now I have another one who is my heart cat. I have three others who I love dearly, but this one who is 10, I hope will be here as long as yours. She's with me all day and i even dream about her.

I also have another indeterminate aged cat...could be in upper teens. I've had her since I rescued her pregnant and starving. No age but estimated at 7 or 8 and that was 10 years ago, Routine is the answer, and a stress less life. And keep them inside for a protected life.

• calliope
    11 years ago

My last batch of kitties (let's say a collection I rescued from various sources) lived to their later teens but one who succumbed to FIP and her mother, a feral who died from cancer). The oldest of whom was eighteen and was still healthy other than a megacolon probably the aftereffect of a fractured hip when he was a kitten. Twenty plus a couple years is yes, not an unusual lifetime for a healthy, well-cared for cat. My mother had one who lived to 21, almost 22. My MIL even had a large dog (collie mix), a totally outside farm dog who had no vet care at all and ate human food (don't look at me, LOL, I had no control over it) and that dog lived to twenty, and up to the last few months was still going out on hunts. No for a dog, especiallly a large dog, especially an outside dog, and throw in all the other circumstances. That is ancient. God bless and hope you kitty sets records and has more healthy, happy years to come.

• jomuir
    11 years ago

We had a cat who lived to about 19-20. I got him from a neighbor who couldn't tend to him enough. He was awesome.

The oldest cat I ever knew was a Siamese too. She boarded at the vet I worked at every winter when they went to the Caribbean for a week to scuba dive.

She was so cranky! And spoiled. Owners left deli meat & cash to replenish deli meat. Instructions included whispering sweet nothings while she was hand-fed. They'd phone every day & we had to hold the phone to her cage.

Then she got sick at Christmas one year & we were so busy. The Dr. had her on a back counter on a heating pad (she was almost gone, no danger of falling off) & I kept going to her to say I'll sit w/you at lunch. She died before lunch & I went in the X-ray room to cry. I NEVER cried over animals passing away but she was special. And I really wanted to be with her to make her passing more peaceful. The hospital was a madhouse that day. I believe she was 23 yrs old.

• dees_1
    11 years ago

Animals live a long time in my house. Last my 18-1/2 year old last July. The old man before him was almost 21 when he passed. I have a 22 year old cockatiel that plays with the 1 year old cat.

If you take care of them, they will live a long time. Just give them all the love you can.

• petaloid
    11 years ago

We had a long-haired white indoor kitty who lived to be 22 and a half. The vet said she was his oldest patient.

She had to be brushed with a de-matting comb and have subcutaneous fluids for kidney failure the last few months, which we gave her at home pretty easily.

Another two boy cats lived to be 18, and those had the fluids the last year or so.

• luvdogs
    11 years ago

boy, would i love to see a 22-year-old cat. can you
    show pictures of your beloved?

• 3katz4me
    11 years ago

Mine have lived to be 16, 19 and 20. The ones I have now are 18, 13 and 3. Twenty-two seems to be getting pretty close to the top.

• Debbie Downer
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Loved the old cat stories - and jomuir, some I think prefer to be alone when they pass. Ive heard of that happening w people too, they wait until everyone is out of the room. I think in spite of your regret the kitty knew you cared.

Sorry, luvdogs, I'm one of the few on the planet who still doesn't have a digital camera. Kashka (my namesake!) looks kind of like a punk rocker with matted spiky calico fur, other than that surprisingly good for her age. I wipe her down with a warm wash cloth now and then but it's not really getting out all the dirt and oil anymore. I wonder if there's some kind of shampoo thats easily rinsed and wouldnt leave a lot of residue? She would complain about being bathed but if it was over quickly I think she would appreciate being clean.

• gogwmos
    11 years ago

We had George who we put to sleep at 22. He was blind, deaf, and had asthma (we thought hairballs but it wasn't) and he had stopped eating and drinking. He was telling us it was time to go.

Indoor cats live on average 12-15 years whereas outdoor cats only live on average 4-6 years. I read that recently, very shocked because George was an outdoor cat all his life.

Our Frankie passed away from heart disease (common among Ragdoll cats) at 10, and he was an indoor cat. His sister Lily is 13 and 6 years ago she was getting very thin and bony and we took her to the vet hospital. She had kidney stones. They did surgery to remove the stones from her right kidney and discovered the left one was completely dead. The hospital did an ultrasound a day later and it showed the stones were back. We chose not to have anymore tests or procedures done and took her home to live out the rest of her days. When we got home, I sat with her for a little talk. I told her we loved her so very much and if it was her time to go we would help her on her way, but we really loved her and wanted her with us as long as she wanted to be here. She watched me and listened the whole time without moving a muscle, and, a week later when she should have passed or gotten worse, her former skeleton feel seemed to have more meat on her bones and she seemed perkier. We took her back to the hospital and they did another ultrasound and not only was the "dead" kidney healthy and functioning, the stones in the other kidney were gone completely! The hospital was so amazed that one of the students (it is a teaching hospital) gave us the last tests and ultrasounds at no charge, she was going to write a paper about the "miracle" that Lily was.

We also switched to Hill's KD prescription dry and wet food, it is expensive (all four of our cats free feed on it) but I believe it has kept Lily healthy and alive.

They will let you know when they are ready. Your heart will tell you one thing, but listen to your mind and your kitty, that is where the decision lies.

Best of luck, and here's to hoping for a long life for her!

• mudhoney
    11 years ago

My cat is 19, with renal failure, and he is the skankiest looking thing you ever have seen! Never grooms himself (doesn't even like to be brushed), skinny at 6 pounds, usually has a shaved neck from blood draws and we usually have to shave the matts off his back here and there. Teeth and breath are just awful! I wish like you I had found a vet that was good with teeth to do work on them when he was younger (My vet at the time told me he was "too old" at 13). But I love him to pieces just the way he is! I'm having problems right now with eating--will post myself. With a cat that old, I think you develop a really special relationship.

My other cats lived to be 18, 19 and 20. Great health up until a year or two before they died. I did lose a couple when young to coyotes, and two to feline leukemia quite young. They were all outside cats--I can't stand being cooped up and can't do that to my cats.

• Elly_NJ
    11 years ago

Kashka, you are lucky and so is your dear cat. Good idea on keeping her on wet food! Keeps her better hydrated.

Some things to offer an older cat:

1. Put a heating pad set on low under her bed to keep her warmer. Or get a Snugglesafe.

2. Get a grooming mitt, or just stroke with a glove.

3. Warm her food slightly.

I envy you. Kiss your cat for me.

• NYCGRIFF
    9 years ago

We (my wife and I) had two wonderful female cats. Both lived past 20 years. Jasmin, the oldest, lived to be 22 1/2 years and Sydney, lived to be 21 years. Unfortunately, in 2009, they both developed kidney disease. (After a long and expensive hospital battles) we were forced to do the humane thing and allowed them to succumb to their illness. It hurt both of us very badly, but we are now emotionally buoyed in the knowledge that we all had a grand old time during those 2+ decades.

• stoneys_fatali
    9 years ago

My wifes best friend just lost her cat of 25 years.

Our cat just turned 6 and we love her so much! I hope she lives to 20..we really can't imagine our lives without her :-)

Stoney

• Amanda Holycross
    8 years ago

this is my 22 year old kitty, Callie Marie. My mom got her when I was 8 as a Mother's Day present and she's been left in my care for the last few years and is so great. She's healthy and still loves to play outside in the sun. I think her hearing has about gone.. Or she's just stubborn and doesn't like to listen. Lol. She has cataracts but that doesn't stop her at all. She's the queen bee around our home and our other two boy cats (11 mo and 4 yrs) let her do as she pleases and leaves her alone. When the time comes for her to pass I'll be heart broken but grateful for all the time we've shared.

• cocoandmike47
    8 years ago

My cat turned 22 January 4,and she does exactly like yours .

• jb5678dance
    7 years ago

Here is my 22 year old baby

• jb5678dance
    7 years ago

• jb5678dance
    7 years ago

Older cats bring so much joy to our lives. Does she use the litter box perfectly? No. Does she perfectly groom herself? No. But does she show so much love? Yes. My kitty is hyper thyroid and takes a quarter of a pill twice a day. She eats only "kidney friendly" food which is important for you cat lovers out there to know about! Kahlua the kitty is sitting next to me as I write this. It's so hard to think about letting our beloved pets go but remember this: no one can tell you that your cat is too old. If she's eating and drinking water and appreciating affection, you be the judge. There is nothing more rewarding than seeing your old cat walk up to you and say hello everyday. Yes, they may walk slowly and not jump so high to the highest place they can find, but these old cats LOVE the love we give them. And who doesn't love waking up to a beautiful cat literally sleeping on your neck? Haha Live on pretty kitties!!!! Xo

• sephia_wa
    7 years ago

What a pretty kitty

• Doug Harrell
    3 years ago

My cat turned 22 Nov 2019. He is an old cat. He has balding now and sleeps all the time. Still purrs. But has blood in his urine and his hind legs are stiff

• annztoo
    3 years ago

Doug,

Even though your cat is old, the blood in his urine should be checked by a vet. It could be due to a bladder infection and treating it could make his life much better. The stiff hind legs could be due to the bladder issue........or arthritis.

It's worth making his last years comfortable.

• HU-139979117
    3 years ago

My Siamese cat is 23 years old she is amazing and has always slept on my head or bed . Like you I regret taking her to the vet more offen about her teeth, she had a few teeth out 5 years ago and that was taking a chance because of her age, and her teeth are terrible again, too old now for treatment but the vet does give her an injection to help her. She is very spoilt and likes to be brushed every evening but has always been treated 1st class I Love her dearly. Karen Townley

• Paul
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I have a 22 yr ..or maybe a few months more ...a silver bengal . She got sick a month ago and wouldn t eat much ...or drink much .for four days... But then ....the fifth morning I was shocked ....she woke up perfect ....as nothing happened .

The vets are cruel . They want to do insanely expensive tests and treatments . I just wanted to find an old time vet who d be ' a friend '... and square with reality . Noone is spending thousands on a cat that old . So,. I support her health with great food and love her every single second we're together .

When I looked at her as a 2 month old kitten ...22 years ago ...I knew the instant we locked eyes ....she was a gift from g.d ....and I mean that !

I love you Tica

I love you Tica

I love you Tica.

This morning. ......

Tica .......was returned to G.D

I love you so much .

Tica

• glaserberl
    3 years ago

One of ours is almost 20 and he has streaks where he won't eat for a few days or just eat a bite or two. He has hyperthyroid and arthritis and is on medicine and supplements for that but when we had his blood work done in September it was excellent. The vet said that it was that of a 3-year-old.

• Janet Campbell
    3 years ago

I have 2 cats, unrelated, that are 18. One has been in kidney failure for a while, and I feed them both a combination of Hill’’s KD and regular food...Duncan would not eat the Hill’s straight. He also takes a very pricey probiotic daily plus an anti nausea drug. Both cats are strictly indoors. The other one, allegedly half Siamese and half Maine coon cat ( all black) has been deaf for years. It is going to be a terrible day here when these so-loved cats die. We’re too old to get kittens or even younger cats again, and each of these cats has one of us as a favorite, though neither are lap cats.