Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chisue

Tramadol 50 mg for dog same as for human?

chisue
12 years ago

Our dog broke the first joint of a front toe and was given a prescription of Tramadol 50 mg for pain -- and to keep him off the foot more. He improved fast. There are ten pills left.

I have a prescription for Tramadol 50 mg for osteoarthritis pain. I take it 'as needed' at night -- when a two Tylenols don't help enough.

Can I take the dog's leftover pills? (Is a rose a rose here, or is there some difference in the meds?)

Comments (22)

• debbiep_gw
    12 years ago

I think they are the same as I have that same dosage and was told by the vet I could use mine for the dog instead of a new prescription of them.

• Ninapearl
    12 years ago

yup you can use them. i have a whole bottle left over from my senior dane girl. i keep them handy. ;)

f.y.i...if you call a pharmacy, they will not tell you one way or the other if it's ok to use a medication like this that was prescribed for an animal. i tried and i don't think i could have BEAT it out of him!

• Meghane
    12 years ago

Definitely the same drug.

Human pharmacists have no idea what drugs are OK to give animals and make HUGE mistakes ALL THE TIME trying. PLEASE don't ever trust a human pharmacist with ANY questions about animals. Could very easily kill a pet.

Also some of the larger chain stores employ not so bright pharmacy assistants. I Rxd amoxicillin liquid 50 mg/ml for a canine patient. The pharmacy called and asked if they could substitute a different concentration. I asked what concentration did they have?

250mg per 5 ml

DUH!

• chisue
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, all! I'll give 'em a try -- probably tonight since DH and I just flipped our king bed mattresses. LOL (At least THAT is easier with a pair of extra-long twins. I can't remember how we ever flipped a single king, although...we were younger then.)

• cynthia_gw
    12 years ago

I borrowed a Tramadol from one of my dogs years ago. I have lots of meds around for them, but don't even stock aspirin for me. As a matter of practice, when ever I get a new rx for any of my dogs, I look up the pill using one of the pill identifier sites. You input the shape, color, imprint, and the site identifies it. If it is what it's supposed to be we're good to go. I just don't trust anyone in a vets office or a pharmacy to dispense the right pill 100% of the time. Mistakes happen, everyone is human.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pill identifier

• jrueter
    10 years ago

Tramadol 50 mg should contain the same amount of the same active ingredient whether for animals or for humans.

Before you swap meds with your pet, even if sure it is the same active dose, you should check if it is an immediate release or modified release (long-acting, once-a-day, etc). The way the tablet is designed for modified release COULD be very different for animals or humans in the way it releases the active ingredient. (I don't know for sure about tramadol)

• chickadee4
    10 years ago

I just spent 24 hours in the CCU after taking a pet medication.
    I am all for self medicating when you are a 100 percent sure you are aware that it can be done.
    I developed vomiting and diarrhea having an allergic reaction . The meds that they gave me to combat the allergy caused me to throw PVCs.
    Just be very aware of the side effects and that it is the SAME drug.
    I giggled reading the 50mg/cc and they offered you 250mg/ 5cc.
    Just make sure you are taking the correct dose prescribed as a human requires.

• robertz6
    10 years ago

Boy, it pays to look at the prescription before or after you get it from the pharmacy. Several years ago I got my one prescription filled from Wal-Mart. I asked why the cost was so much higher than usual, and was told the doseage was different. That was correct. Gave my name and birth date twice.

So, unhappily, I pitched it in the bag, and went home. Tossed it in the medicine cabinet. Two days later I open the container and removed one. Somewhat different shape of the pill. I looked closer at the label. Different name, address, and pill!!

• pekemom
    10 years ago

Yes, our vet said we could use my husband's Tramadol for our peke when he was having severe back pain last year...

• henryrollins
    9 years ago

getting harder and harder to find though. Anyone have a source?

• lzrddr
    9 years ago

what do you mean? It is a prescription drug, and just starting last month, it is now a controlled drug as well (need a special prescription for it). It is widely available at just about every pharmacy there is in the US... but you certainly can't get it over the counter.

• organna55
    8 years ago

My Akita got neutered and was prescribed tramadol 50mg but in liquid form he takes 4 ml 2-3 times a day my shepherd also got spayed she tales 3 tablets 2 times a day ..I was wondering what's the difference in tablets and liquid form

• PRO
    a dogs life
    7 years ago

250mg/5ml is the same as 50mg/ml... Do the math

• 4thumbs
    7 years ago

I did a search on the web (try DuckDuckGo-they don't track you) to see if I could use my glucosamine-chondroitin for our dog's arthritis. I was surprised to find that WebMD actually answers such questions! As with any med or animal problems, there are tons of sites and a simple search posing the question of safety of a particular med for an animal will help ease your mind.

• mollyluv23
    6 years ago

Chisue, did you end up taking your dogs tramadol? I'm asking because my vet prescribed 50 mg for my dog and did some tree trimming and now I can't move my neck or arm. I'm in pain. I have Aleve and tylonal and ice. Did it make you sick? Should I try it?

• 4thumbs
    6 years ago

It should be the same. However, also consider trying CBD oil for your pain. It's available in most states and is legal. Check it out on the web.

• marion_midnight
    6 years ago

I have my dog .25 of a 50 ml pill. He is l0 lbs. Over the 4th of July he wouldn't have slept at all he was so stressed out. Works for a l0 lb mammal but not an 118 lb LOL

• SaltiDawg
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

"Tramadol is a narcotic-like pain reliever."

"tramadol is not for use on an as-needed basis for pain."

"Fatal side effects can occur if you use tramadol with alcohol, or with other drugs that cause drowsiness or slow your breathing."

It is moronic to discuss/advocate the use of a drug like this by a person not under the care of a doctor.

• 4thumbs
    6 years ago

I urge all to research CBD oil for your pets. It's legal in all states, but I suspect the oil would be of better quality if you live in a state that allows medical use. Then you could use a dispensary if you have a medical marijuana card.

CBD is especially effective for pain and anxiety in pets. It worked wonders for my 13 year old dog who could barely get up due to the arthritis in his hind legs. I was simply astonished at the results.

• Charles Baird
    4 years ago

I’ve tried two separate CBD oils. Never saw an effect. All this “it works wonders” seems too good to be try. I’ve taken CBD, and it helped me sleep but I’m skeptical about it improving a dog’s mobility

• 4thumbs
    4 years ago

CBD is now becoming widely available in retail stores. Before you purchase it, please read the following.

There are two types of CBD. The one that is legal throughout most of the country is derived from hemp. The following article will explain the difference:

https://honestmarijuana.com/hemp-oil-vs-cbd-oil/