Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christine1950_gw

Polydactyl kitten

christine1950
9 years ago

Happy Thanksgiving eve to those of you that are here to read this.
My 7 month old kitty is going in to be spayed next week and I was thinking about having the extra nail removed while she is under the anesthesia. I've read that the 6th nail will curl under and cause alot of pain for a cat. Have any of you had any experience with our 6 toed wonders. Thanks Christine

Comments (13)

• spedigrees z4VT
    9 years ago

My 21 year old cat has multiple toes and claws on all 4 feet and she's never had a problem. Just snip off the tips of your cat's extra two claws every couple months with a (human) toenail clipper; there's no need of amputation. The extra claws don't get worn down naturally as the "regular" claws do, thus if they are not trimmed regularly they can grow in a circle into the pads. However it is a simple matter to just give a two snip pedicure 5 times a year or so. I've been doing that for 20 years now.

If you were managing a feral cat colony, it would perhaps be advisable to amputate extra claws during spay or neuter operations, since feral cats cannot be easily caught or handled, but for a house cat, I don't see a necessity.

• laurief_gw
    9 years ago

I currently have 3 polydactyl felines, and I've had several more over the decades. The extra claws on my cats are only problematic if I don't keep the hooks clipped off. It's not a big deal to do nail clipping, esp. if you start them as kittens.

It's important for you to understand that declawing doesn't simply involve removing the claw. It is amputation of the toe at the joint below the nail, comparable to having your own fingertip amputated down to the joint below your nail ... except that you wouldn't have to walk on the amputated stump.

Nail clipping is a far more humane option.

Laurie

• christine1950
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you both very much, I will have the procedure cancelled!!
    I thought it was just a simple nail removal... I AM SO GLAD I ASKED before I did a horrible thing to my little girl......

• laurief_gw
    9 years ago

You are VERY welcome. Now if we could just convince veterinary professionals to call this barbaric practice what it really is - amputation, most often inflicted on the animal for the convenience of the human caretaker.

Thank you for safeguarding your little one.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Laurie

• calliope
    9 years ago

Certainly agree............I know I must sign an agreement any time I take a pet in for a procedure or surgery and oft-times the clipboard is just handed to me like they expect I won't read it. A health care professional (whether veterinary or human) has a certain amount of obligation to explain what the surgery involves before they ask for consent to proceed. It's what they call 'informed consent' in human hospitals.

• vedabeeps
    9 years ago

One of ours has 3 extras on each front and an extra on each back, when it sounds like she's wearing high heels on the wood floor it's time for a manicure. No need for anything drastic. :)

• christine1950
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks again to all of you for your input, I will be calling the vet tomorrow to cancel this and I will also remember to tell them again next week when I bring her in.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!!!!!!!
    Christine

• Carol Ann
    9 years ago

My polydactyl has 26 nails. 12 in the back and 14 in the front. He is 2 years old . I bought a good pair of clippers from the vet and we trim them every month. Congrats on your kitten. They are very athletic cats enjoy;)

• Carol Ann
    9 years ago

This is a picture of his hind feet,

• christine1950
    Original Author
    9 years ago

tilou2, your cat is beautiful. I love his feet. Joey's spaying went very well, he put in the self dissolving stitches and he trimmed all her nails and cleaned the ear's of any left over ear mite yuck. She was back to her funny self by 9 last night. This picture was taken after I picked her up Friday morning, she still was a little out of in. Oh, and after calling to cancel the nail removal, I did double check on Thursday morning and it had never been removed from the paper work, only in the comments on the computer. So once again Thank you all for your help..
    Christine

• Carol Ann
    9 years ago

Beautiful cat Good luck and have fun with him. Here is a picture of the nail clipper I use to trim all his nails. When I cut them my husband holds him near the stove light as it shines directly on his nails and I can cut them easier because I can see the pink inside the nail.This is a picture of Ti Lou and his adopted brother Saysus

• Carol Ann
    9 years ago

My 2 cats

• christine1950
    Original Author
    9 years ago

How cute your kitties are, guess they couldnt get any closer. I live alone so I cant clip my pets nails, and have to take them to the vet for that. I have never had any luck trying to cut the nails with only 2 hands LOL.....