Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carmen_grower_2007

Dog whistles?

carmen_grower_2007
13 years ago

Anybody have or know about these? Does the sound carry over long distances? We ring a bell to call the dogs in but when the woods are fully leafed, the sound doesn't carry far enough.

Normally we let them run through the acreage but it is hunting season and large yellow labs can look like deer to drunk hunters!

Comments (12)

• debbiep_gw
    13 years ago

I've wanted to know about these to.I'd like to have one for Annabelle.She doesn't run loose but I would still like to use one.I'll keep reading this post.

• mazer415
    13 years ago

Yep, dogs can hear the whistle, but the problem is will they respond to them. In my opinion I can whistle myself without a manufactured whistle and a regular whistle carries longer distance than a dog whistle. My opinion, if you are worried aboout your dog in the woods during hunting season, put an orange vest on him....you should be wearing one as well....that way there is NO MISTAKING a person or a dog and tragedy will be averted. You can purchase vests on line or make them yourself...

• Ninapearl
    13 years ago

while we don't allow hunting out here, there will still be a stray hunter go through once in a while. my dogs all wear bright orange bandanas this time of year.

• carmen_grower_2007
    Original Author
    13 years ago

We also use the orange bandannas but I think the vest idea is even better -- there are probably patterns for them. Do you know that the dog whistle doesn't carry as far as a regular whistle? I heard the opposite but don't know how a person could test it.

Yes, they always come when called if they can hear us.

• debbiep_gw
    13 years ago

Well,I for one can't whistle at all!I just always wanted one to try(dog whistle).I don't need the vest as mine don't go out of the yard.

• carmen_grower_2007
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I did the google thing and found several silent whistles but all had bad reviews --- claimed they weren't silent. Would really like someone who actually uses one of these to comment.

• carmen_grower_2007
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Now this could just be the ticket! Anybody familiar with storm whistles?

Here is a link that might be useful: Storm Whistles

• carmen_grower_2007
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I ordered several of the storm whistles and will let you know how they work out. We are in the middle of nowhere so the sound won't bother neighbors - we just need it to carry a long distance. I made a bunch of dried deer liver sticks to train them with once the whistles come.

• Elly_NJ
    13 years ago

Why not a regular whistle?

• carmen_grower_2007
    Original Author
    13 years ago

A regular whistle won't carry any further than the cow bell we use now. I need a sound that carrys through woods, wind up to a mile.

• Elly_NJ
    13 years ago

A whistle is piercing. You want to cover your ears.

A cow bell, not so much. Lower pitched, rather pleasing.

Whistles are louder.

But, whatever.

• carmen_grower_2007
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Received them - two short bursts and the dogs come running no matter where they are. It gets their attention which is all I needed.

Sponsored
Ramos Timber
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Westerville's Top Craftsman & Exceptional Quality Tile & Stone