Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
2 cats moving in - help

Posted by dcrowex (dcrowex@aol.com) on
Fri, Nov 13, 09 at 8:04

Next month, we are moving my inlaws in with us from another state. They are bringing their dog and 2 indoor cats. We currently have 2 dogs. We had a cat but he passed away earlier this year and really never came up to the main living room area. He stayed down in the family room. My inlaws will be living on the first floor.
My question- what do I need to do prior to these cats arriving? I am worried they will urinate on things to mark their territory. Any suggestions?
We have remodeled our house to accomodate my elderly inlaws. We extended our home to them, knowing they would never leave their animals behind. It was all of them or none of them. I am just trying to find out if there is anything I can do beforehand to prepare for this. They are good cats now, but they will be in new environment.
Would appreciate any help or advice.
Thanks.Deb

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 2 cats moving in - help

You might lay in a supply of Feliway (sp?).

It's a kind of feel-good hormone that relaxes & mellows cats.

Bless you for taking in...everybody!

o

Can't say that any of my cats have urniated on things to mark their territory. Just make sure they have a safe, easy to get to place, to use their litterbox(s).

o

dcrowex, you are a good person.

I'll second the Feliway to help the cats adjust. Will they have places to get away from the dogs? They won't wish to be at the mercy of the loving, licking hounds 100% of the time-they may not want to be with dogs at all. So a room or other place where the cats can get away is excellent. If floor space is a problem, go vertical. Provide places where the cats can clamber up out of the way. They like to be over their surroundings anyway. Don't be surprised if they take to fridge sitting. It's high (perfect), it's probably warm (even better), it's out of dogs' reach and it's near food.

o

thanks for all the tips. yes the cats will be able to be away from the other dogs. my husband is just really worried (me too) about the cats urinating around the house. the cat we used to have that died several months ago urinated on a lot of things down in the family room and we had to replace the carpet. i am so hopeful this is going to work out with no problems.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here