Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
celestevah

Just moved Cat!

celestevah
14 years ago

I am a worrier and it sucks! I got my cat almost three years ago, as a kitten. I moved when he was almost a year old and couldn't have him where I was moving (which was a 6 month temp situation).

My aunt watched him and he went from being an only pet to sharing a house with a dog. My aunt ended up having him for over a year and a half because I ended up moving out of state. Where I live now, I can have pets.

My aunt told me I could take him. She just got another new dog inherited by her boyfriends daughter for the past two months. So Cobra just went from a two dog household to a stressful 7 hour drive... (the dr gave us a sedative and it only partially worked). He ate a teenie bit and from what I can tell, he hasn't eaten any of his dry food or drank water or used his litter box.

He kept me up all night meowing, or wanting to snuggle, or causing mischief. He's pretty vocal this morning and all last night and today snuggly and purring etc.

I know it's ok to leave him home alone while I'm at work for 8 hours but it breaks my heart to think about how lonely he'll be. I know he'll be ok and it'll be a couple days for him to adjust but... he'll be ok right? Will he get depressed being alone?

Thanks

Comments (4)

• olyagrove
    14 years ago

Maybe he needs a buddy, another kitty to play and snuggle with?
    I am gone Monday -Friday, 8 hours a day - I guess most of us working are ...But my cats seem not to mind - they play with each other and spend hours and hours sleeping...

• celestevah
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for responding.

We can't afford the adoption fees/neuter etc right now. I know he'll just lay around all day and play with his toys. I left a radio on in my room kind of low, hoping that will help.

• olyagrove
    14 years ago

That is understandable...Yeah, the kitty will probably re-adjust his (otherwise busy :)) schedule to match yours and will probably sleep lots while you are gone! Felines do nap lots and lots :)

• bonebloodyidle
    14 years ago

Back in xmas 2000 I emigrated from Engalnd and took my then 3 year old tomcat with me. At the new place I kept him in for 3 days with plenty of food, water and lavatory facilities available. Then I let him out. New landscape, new territory, new animals & insects for him to get used to. He loves it here. I have moved a couple of times since and in each instance have kept him in for 3 days in the new place. I am always aprehensive but he always comes back. He knows where his food is! He has always been left alone during the day, cats are good at that. They sleep or just sit there staring at the wall for hours. I often wonder what goes through their minds. Nuclear physics?