Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donna_loomis

Why Can't They Get Along?

17 years ago

I have a spayed female, 10 years old. In August we found a litter of kittens in our back yard. After feeding them outside for a couple of days and making certain that Mama cat wasn't coming back for them, we adopted all three. Lost one. The two brothers that remain are the sweetest babies and went from feral to cuddle cats in just days. Now, I understand that Penny was used to being the only cat and would take some time to adjust, but I am seriously doubting that it is EVER going to happen now. Absolutely every time she sees them she hisses. She has now begun taking swipes at them. Last night we made a trip to the emergency vet because George's left eye had blood in the iris. We were lucky and the eye itself wasn't punctured, but he's taking several medications and has to wear a cone until it's healed.

I am hoping that some of you can give me advice on how we can help them get along, please.

Comments (12)

• 17 years ago

When you brought them in, you kept them separated at first?

This should usually be done when bringing in cats.

Cats are much more territorial (generally speaking) than dogs.

If you did not do this, do it now. Give the kittens a room to themselves for awhile. Allow your kitty to sniff them from under the door, she knows they are there, but also knows they are not stepping on her turf.

Once she has calmed down about the situation, you can give her the option of coming into the room (preferable when the kittens are a bit older)...just keep a close eye on her.

Make sure you add an additional litter pan...one of her stipulations to them might be that "they can stay, but they better stay out of her litter pan". This is very common.

They might share, but she may not like it...they need options.

She will come around, but the introductions should be done gradually.

• 17 years ago

Webkat, thank you so much for your wisdom. It gives me hope that we can work this out.

• 17 years ago

Nikita was 2 yrs old when we brought Max into the house, and as Webkat said, we kept them separated for quite some days (we did not have a clue as to how Niku would respond, being the only cat until then); she acted extremely aloof until one day we let them out together in a room with no place to hide, and Max just kept playing around her, ignoring the hisses and swats.

I think she finally realised he meant no harm and gradually they became friends. But it is very important to keep praising the older cat when the new one is around so that she doesn't feel threatened. It also helps if the new kitten is not afraid of other cats I think. When Simba came to our house a year later, Niku left it to Max to handle the entire thing. Turned out Max is really great with kittens, he plays with them the first time he meets them, though a gentle swipe usually causes the kitten to fly against the room, but they don't seem to mind it. Niku accepted Simba once she saw Max playing with him.

Yes, also keep separate litter trays in the beginning, and make sure that the cat cannot be cornered when using it.

Once they get to know each other, you can try putting out food together (or initially, at a little distance), and see the reaction.

Lastly, never, NEVER let them be together unless you are absolutely certain that they are friends. One swipe from the older cat could cause real harm to the little one.

I think it's only a matter of time before Donna will see Penny and George cuddled up together! Donna, please do keep us posted on the developments. Good luck !!

• 17 years ago

Donna, how are things going? I have been wondering about your kitties. :o)

• 17 years ago

Webkat, the situation has not changed much. Penny is still hissing at the boys. But no more swiping at them at this point. I discovered a product I had not been aware of - Soft Paws, and put them on Penny. They do not interfere with claw retraction, but soften the tips of her claws. Just insurance. Thanks for asking how they are doing.

• 17 years ago

They should be fine- eventually- I find it takes 3-6 mos for all to be one happy family. Make more of a fuss over the older cat. Makre sure everyone has their own space.

• 17 years ago

I apologize if someone's suggested this already, but...
    Have you tried Feliway?

It's a feline "happy" hormone that eases tensions.

I used it once & was gratified with how it calmed everybody down.

• 17 years ago

Sylvia, I have never heard of Feliway. I will definitely check into it. Is it something my vet will need to prescribe?

• 17 years ago

Feliway is a plug in difuser of cat hormones. You get it at Petsmart for $42. It does work. I have one running now due to various things which lead to increased jealousy and bullying.

• 17 years ago

1. older cats are rarely tolerant of kittens.

2. The only way you get them all to tolerate each other is if you move house. It's like moving to nutural territory. At the moment your older cat is territorial of 'her' space. It's been her space from the start & there's no way she's gonna allow others in it. It's only natuural & you've brought in more kittens to add, she's defending her territory & keeping invaders out.

Moving to a new house gives them all nutural territory & they all sort themselves out pretty quickly & live happier just tolerating each other & knowing each others own space.

I don't think there is a lot you can do in your current home. This is just the way things go naturally. Keep an eye on the kittens & keep them seperated from the older cat.

• 17 years ago

It takes a LOOONG time sometimes before they start getting along.My cat is the same way,he hates other cats.Webcat5 offered some great advice though.

• 17 years ago

Feliway comes in 2 forms, a diffuser type & a liquid or a spray.

One is more expensive, one is less.

It seems like the $42 one is the diffuser type & includes the diffuser (sort-of like a plug-in air fresener).