Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Outdoor dog urine smell...

Posted by lee280zx (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 17, 11 at 2:19

Hello--

I sit dogs in my home near San Diego. The smell of dog urine in my small backyard has become a problem.

My yard is not landscaped. I tore everything out when I bought it, and haven't decided what to put back there. Right now it's just dirt. My neighbors tell me our yards are decomposed granite. It's dry, light beige-colored dirt. It's not clay or rich soil or anything like that.

We get very little rainfall here. When it does rain, or when I try to hose everything down (thinking it will cause the urine to soak in), the smell gets much, much worse (especially if it's a hot day).

I plan to put a fast growing sod in the yard and water it frequently. I know the dog urine will cause dead patches, but this stuff will come back. I'm hoping the sod might somehow help with the smell.

I've read that the smell comes from bacteria that digest the chemicals in urine and release gas that has an ammonia-like smell. I guess that's what I'm smelling. I presume that I could spray a bunch of watered-down bleach on the dirt, but, of course, that wouldn't be very eco friendly, cost effective, or good for the grass I intend to eventually plant.

Does anyone know what I can do to lessen or get rid of the urine smell? Do you think the sod will help? I'd really love any suggestions (and yes, I am seeking lessen the amount of peeing in the yard).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Outdoor dog urine smell...

I've used lime, aka soil sweetener, to cut down the odors in dog runs but I'm not sure how well it will work on the type soil you have. http://www.gardenguides.com/99762-use-lime-rid-dog-urine-odors-soil.html

Your easiest solution may be to buy an enzyme used specifically in dog kennels. I've used the one below on concrete and inside the house and it works.
In addition to using one of the products mentioned, I think what will really help is to use an oscillating sprinkler daily in that area of the yard. It will slowly dilute the urine and allow it to migrate into the soil.

Here is a link that might be useful: odormute

o

or Sweet PDZ from the farm store. I like it because it's granular and safe.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sweet PDZ

o

Thanks, annz and cynthia.

I've ordered some Odormute and am going to check my local feed store for the Sweet PDZ.

Do either of you have experience with these products?

Thank you,
Lee

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here