Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lee280zx

Outdoor dog urine smell...

lee280zx
12 years ago

Hello--

I sit dogs in my home near San Diego. The smell of dog urine in my small backyard has become a problem.

My yard is not landscaped. I tore everything out when I bought it, and haven't decided what to put back there. Right now it's just dirt. My neighbors tell me our yards are decomposed granite. It's dry, light beige-colored dirt. It's not clay or rich soil or anything like that.

We get very little rainfall here. When it does rain, or when I try to hose everything down (thinking it will cause the urine to soak in), the smell gets much, much worse (especially if it's a hot day).

I plan to put a fast growing sod in the yard and water it frequently. I know the dog urine will cause dead patches, but this stuff will come back. I'm hoping the sod might somehow help with the smell.

I've read that the smell comes from bacteria that digest the chemicals in urine and release gas that has an ammonia-like smell. I guess that's what I'm smelling. I presume that I could spray a bunch of watered-down bleach on the dirt, but, of course, that wouldn't be very eco friendly, cost effective, or good for the grass I intend to eventually plant.

Does anyone know what I can do to lessen or get rid of the urine smell? Do you think the sod will help? I'd really love any suggestions (and yes, I am seeking lessen the amount of peeing in the yard).

Comments (6)

• cynthia_gw
    12 years ago

or Sweet PDZ from the farm store. I like it because it's granular and safe.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sweet PDZ

• lee280zx
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, annz and cynthia.

I've ordered some Odormute and am going to check my local feed store for the Sweet PDZ.

Do either of you have experience with these products?

Thank you,
    Lee

• Barbara Witte
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

i have found for my outdoor dirt area a combination of these three priducts used at different intervals works great. Simple green odor eliminator yard spray used as needed with espona organic lime that is safe for pets and animals applied to the dirt about once a month with ground cover bark from earthgrow on top. All of these priducts can be found or ordered from Home Depot. I ordered the Simple Green odor eliminator online at Home Depot and bought it in bulk to avoid shipping charges and because it was not readily available in the store and used a sprayer that i had left over from when i purchased simple green odor eliminator online with a sprayer that was over priced in comparison to buying the larger container at Home Depot. The simple Green alone may do the trick, so if you can try that first and add the other products if need be.

• susan chambers
    4 years ago

I know this is an old question.. I was looking on line today to try and resolve my stinking side yard...I used SweetPDZ.. and I guess it works initially, but is very fine granules that will get tracked inside and believe me, you don't want that stuff all over your house! It is meant to be put in horse stalls and shoveled out along with the wood chips or whatever they use in there, most horses don't come inside.. it's also heavy and once wet.. really wet. I made the mistake of removing pea gravel and putting in sweet PDZ and rubber mulch thinking I could rinse it down, the sweet PDZ would take care of the smell and the rest would sink into the ground. Doesnt' help that this area gets little sun. So, I have removed the rubber mulch and sweet PDZ and oh man, not an easy job for an older lady to take on. I have also used the Simple green outdoor spray, it works and has a very pleasant scent, but doesn't last long and you go thru a lot of it! We have 4 dogs, 2 large, 2 medium.. This space is not huge, but right outside the garage side door and when we've had ill or old dogs, they got right to this same spot since it's close to the door which didn't help the matter.. .that's when I tried the rubber mulch to be softer under foot. Lawn won't grow and I've thought about ground cover and now pondering doggy artificial turf with special gravel and such used underneath for drainage and keeping the smell down. I read that with that you still use simple green to wash it down or you'll end up with smelling fake grass. I'm amazed at how real some of the new fake grass looks... Maybe it's time to build a ramp out of the kitchen door so they come out in to a larger area of the yard to spread the stink around a bit! My mom had the same problem, and until i came over and scrubbed down her walkway with bleach water nothing worked and she tried it all. working with dirt is a bit more of a challenge. I just sprayed a half and half sprayer full of regular simple green to the pea gravel and dirt that is the worst area dn letting it dry.. hoping that will help a bit.. guess we'll see.. it's at least non- toxic, and a bit less expensive than the marketed dog spray, albeit minus the enzyme's which I'm thinking play a major role.

• SaltiDawg
    4 years ago

Call a couple of San Diego area dog kennels and explain you're "just" a dya care and not fter their business. See if they'll offer up some device. Just following up on a couple of good posts above.