Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
handymac

Guard dog does it again

handymac
12 years ago

Wife and I went to visit Mom over Thanksgiving.

We generally leave the two dogs at home and have someone visit twice a day to exercise/feed while we are gone.

That someone needs to be a person Max is familiar with, since his main job is to deter any stranger from getting inside the house uninvited.

This time we asked LOML's younger brother, who has been a frequent visitor lately(on card playing and football nights.

I explained the routine, left the food material on the counter, and told him the secret password. I noticed he chuckled when I said secret password.

We left Thursday morning. BIL was to come in about 5 or 6 PM, exercise and feed.

We got a phone call at 5:30. Wife said his voice was a bit shaky. He told her Max had allowed him in the front door, but no farther. Every time he moved, Max growled. He also said Max has very mean eyes.

He stood immobile several minutes, until he remembered I had told him the secret word. He said it and then said Max looked at him as if to say "Well, finally! What took you so long?" and ran to the back door to be let out.

He followed Molly out---who has respectfully stayed out of the way---exercised them and fed them. Let them back out and had a small heart attack when Max came running at him---he had forgotten he had picked up Max's tennis ball and was just holding it. You just don't hold Max's tennis ball---you bounce it and he chases it. Then teases you by letting you almost get it and then runs merrily away.

Said he always thought Max was a good dog, but never knew just HOW good he is.

On a side note, SIL visited Saturday, bringing her two nephews. The younger nephew has some mental disability. Max played with him like he never does with anyone else---dropping his prize tennis ball at the boy's feet and chasing it no matter how badly the boy threw it.Took all the time the boy needed to interact and spent several minutes with his head on the boys lap as he rested.

I'm not sure which event makes me more proud of that formerly uncontrollable dog.

Comments (6)