Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Scab behind cat's ear and chin (warning - scab pics!)

Posted by chi83 (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 16, 12 at 23:47

Hello,

Last night I noticed a lump on the top of my cat's head, right behind the ear. The fur wasn't missing but when I looked at the spot, there was a sizeable scab. I noticed some dry blood but there was no active bleeding and it didn't seem to be bothering him. I decided to just watch it for a few days since he's in fine health otherwise.

However, tonight I noticed a spot under his chin. This has a little bit more fresh blood but I wouldn't say it's actively bleeding. It doesn't seem to be bothering him either.

Some things to consider:

1. I have another cat who is a bully and they often get in big fights where the fur literally flies. It would not be unheard of for this other cat to tear out a clump of fur or swat/bite him. I did notice a relatively large clump of fur on my bed the other day.

2. This cat is strictly indoors only but he slipped past my roommate last week and got outside. He was only out there for about 5 minutes until I caught him but he was roaming around in the bushes and foliage and chewing all the plants in my complex.

3. He got into the trash the other day and tore apart an Arby's foil wrapper and licked honey mustard out of those little plastic cups. I've heard cats can sometimes have skin reactions from plastic?? Or maybe the sides of the little cups cut or irritated his chin. He was licking the cup for a good 5 minutes before I noticed (I thought he was grooming himself!)

He's eating fine, acting normally, not scratching. He's 7 and had blood work last year where everything was normal except his liver enzymes were elevated slightly.

Any ideas what this could be? I think I'm safe to wait a few days and see what happens but I wanted to see if anyone had any ideas on what it might be. Thanks!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Scab behind cat's ear and chin (warning - scab pics!)

feline dermatitis?

o

just look like minor injuries to me... if your cat is not doing this to himself, not sure what else I would guess at for now.

o

My guess would be they're both from quarreling with your other cat. Lucky neither wound abscessed, those can turn nasty fast. The one by his ear looks nice & dry, the chin I'd keep an eye on, if it gets yucky you can put a warm compress on it & hit it with some neosporin or triple antibiotic cream (only once or twice a day, you don't want him licking/ingesting it).

Now we need to talk about his honey mustard eating. Shouldn't he be trying to steal meat or something? I hope he's fine in the end.

o

Ha, yeah, I never thought he'd go for honey mustard sauce. He has weird eating habits. I'm a vegetarian so there usually isn't any meat to steal :) (the wrapper was from a friend!) His favorite food in the whole world is fresh, yeasty bread. If I bring bread home I have to lock it up or i'll find it gnawed on the next morning even if I put it on top of the fridge.

Thanks for the ideas so far. I am relieved no one seems to think it's serious. I'll keep an eye on him!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here