Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chi83

Scab behind cat's ear and chin (warning - scab pics!)

Chi
11 years ago

Hello,

Last night I noticed a lump on the top of my cat's head, right behind the ear. The fur wasn't missing but when I looked at the spot, there was a sizeable scab. I noticed some dry blood but there was no active bleeding and it didn't seem to be bothering him. I decided to just watch it for a few days since he's in fine health otherwise.

However, tonight I noticed a spot under his chin. This has a little bit more fresh blood but I wouldn't say it's actively bleeding. It doesn't seem to be bothering him either.

Some things to consider:

1. I have another cat who is a bully and they often get in big fights where the fur literally flies. It would not be unheard of for this other cat to tear out a clump of fur or swat/bite him. I did notice a relatively large clump of fur on my bed the other day.

2. This cat is strictly indoors only but he slipped past my roommate last week and got outside. He was only out there for about 5 minutes until I caught him but he was roaming around in the bushes and foliage and chewing all the plants in my complex.

3. He got into the trash the other day and tore apart an Arby's foil wrapper and licked honey mustard out of those little plastic cups. I've heard cats can sometimes have skin reactions from plastic?? Or maybe the sides of the little cups cut or irritated his chin. He was licking the cup for a good 5 minutes before I noticed (I thought he was grooming himself!)

He's eating fine, acting normally, not scratching. He's 7 and had blood work last year where everything was normal except his liver enzymes were elevated slightly.

Any ideas what this could be? I think I'm safe to wait a few days and see what happens but I wanted to see if anyone had any ideas on what it might be. Thanks!

Comments (4)