Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Female cat in heat questions

Posted by rjinga (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 5, 09 at 22:46

I have a 1 year old female cat who is now in heat, she is tormented and for some very strange reason she is fixated on our 75 lb pitbull. He is beyond patient and truly a saint as he just sits there and let's her rub all over him, etc.

Tonight (I wish I had my camera) oh my, she climbed on top of his head/back of his neck and was biting him and clinging on, straddled his head. It was the funniest thing I have ever seen. She was acting like a male cat would if he were trying to mount a female..she is so small that she literally was just straddled the back of his neck.

I need to get her fixed, I realize this. She is 100% an indoor cat. and only goes out with very close supervision.

What can be done for her during this rough time to ease her "pain"

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Female cat in heat questions

I know nothing about cats...but I would say take her and get her fixed now. WHy wait.

o

What can be done for her during this rough time to ease her "pain"
Getting her spayed.

only goes out with very close supervision.
I would not underestimate the power of nature. My first cat, years back, went into heat days after we found her ...While waiting for an appointment (she got spayed ASAP), we had a stray tom rip through a screen, trying to get to her.

o

Oh yes, be very careful with a cat in heat. The urges will drive her to do things she normally wouldn't and will attract bystanders who may take desperate actions. The other day someone was telling me a really amazing story of an indoor cat who went into heat and how she went to great lengths and very creatively managed to escape the house.

My mother recently took in a PG stray and she is worried that the cat will go into heat before she can get her fixed. Her vet won't spay until mama has finished weaning her kittens (kittens are almost 6 weeks). The cat is secluded in a very secure area, but still...

I wouldn't worry too much about her pain-wise. Just worry about keeping her in and worry about your own sanity- isn't she driving you nuts? I've never had a cat who went into heat but have always heard such awful stories about how obnoxious and unbearable they become.

Your dog sounds like a real sweetie though.

o

You want to ease her situation, take her to the vet and get her fixed ASAP.

o

By the way, that "rough time"? You are in for a very long wait if you are waiting for it to ease up. Cats are not like dogs - they don't go in and out of heat in a season. Once the female cat goes in heat, she pretty much stays their until either fixed or fertilized.

o

I've never had a cat who went into heat but have always heard such awful stories about how obnoxious and unbearable they become.

Just recently, I fostered a mom cat with babies. We were waiting for her to wean the babies off, so she could go into adoption/spayed.When the babies were about 8 weeks old, she went into heat.

Sweetest, neatest cat - and all of a sudden, she was peeing on kitchen counters (leaving her scent), crying a lot and loud, attacking my cats, and driving some of my male neutered cats nuts. It is frustrating both for the cat and for the owner.

Got spayed and back to normal sweet neat self.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here