Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Has anyone used CoQ10 on a cat?

Posted by biwako_of_abi (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 6, 10 at 22:38

My female cat, who will be 17 next month, has kidney failure. She is still eating, but thin, and she vomits rather often--usually once every one or two days. I came across an article saying that some research (how reliable, I don't know) had shown that taking the gel form of CoQ10 had helped some humans get off dialysis, so I am thinking of trying it on my cat, but I don't know how much to give. Being just an enzyme, can it be harmful if the amount is too large?
I am already giving her Azodyl, but can't tell how much good it is doing.

Here is a link that might be useful: CoQ10 research article

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Has anyone used CoQ10 on a cat?

I am sorry about your cat. I am myself thinking about CoQ10 for my cat in early stage of CRF (and mildly hyper-T) on people's suggestions. They report it makes a difference for their cats who are both Hyper-T and CRF). The dose they use is 30mg once a day. I have asked my vet about several dietary supplemens, and she said she would get back in touch with me. Hopefully, she will...

I am sure you have come across this site: Tanya's Feline CRF Info. Center. Scroll down to dietary needs, also to holistic treatments for supplements. This site is the bible for people with CRF cats. You can also join the yahoo support group for CRF cats.

I, too, would love to hear from people using CoQ10 with their cats...
Best of luck,
Anne-Marie

o

I worked in a Dialysis unit for 25 years and never heard of that being used let alone curing kidney disease. As far as I know it is used mainly for hearts

o

Thanks, Anne Marie. I will check out the Feline CRF Info. Center and the Yahoo support group.

Beegood. Well, it claims to have been research, so perhaps more research needs to be done...or, who knows, there may be something bogus about this article I came across. In general, I am mildly skeptical about things that claim to cure incurable diseases, when they are not being used by the mainstream, but at this point, anything seems worth a shot, so long as it is not actually harmful.

o

Biwako, some members using CoQ10 for hyperT AND kidney issues only give 15 mg/day to help strengthen the heart. Does your cat only suffer from kidney insufficiencies? I do recommend that you talk to your vet about an appropriate dose for your own cat, but a low dose is always better at the start.
For kidney issues, many use RENAFOOD (dietary supplement) and omega-3 fatty acids (salmon oil, fish oil).
Good luck, Anne-Marie

o

A compromise (given real lack of info on the CoQ10 and dosage concerns) would be to feed her a sardine or two each day. Sardines are one of the few foods high in CoQ10 plus Omega 3s and B vitamins. All good supplements for your kitty but delivered naturally through food so you don't have to worry about dosage. And much easier than giving her another pill.

o

Cynthia, yes sardines are full of great stuff if your cat goes for fish! However, I might be concerned about the phosphorus level (not good for CRF cats).
Anne-Marie

o

I only wish I could give her sardines. I'm sure she would love them, but unfortunately, almost any amount of any fish makes her vomit. Could it be an allergy? She has been this way for years.

I gave her CoQ10 for two days after writing here--only 1 drop each time--and then I took what remained myself! Those two days, she didn't eat after having the supplement, and I was a bit worried it was nauseating her, so I stopped. It was a relief when the next morning, and again today, she acted hungry. I may try a tiny bit again some day when she seems to be doing well.

Tanya's site has so much great information that I know I will be reading it again and again. Many thanks for everybody's suggestions.

o

Do Not give your cat Sardines or any type of fish; its high in phosphorus, & phosphorus aids in the advancement of kidney disease. Give your cat Co Enzyme (c0q10) supplements. Here is a protocol for administration;

1) Get gel capsules instead of tablets. Gel capsules have a liquid form of the enzyme that is more readily absorbed than solid forms.

2) If the lowest gel capsule dose you find is 100mg, snip the capsule in two with non-corroded scissors. Give half a capsule (50 mg) once a day. If you want to stick to the 30 mg protocol (i.e if the cat is particularly small), snip a smaller piece out of the capsule.

3) Purchase ubiquinol (the reduced, bio available form of C0q10) instead of ubiquinone (the non-reduced form of c0q10). Studies using ubiquinol (instead of ubiquinone) show more promising outcomes.

C0q10 helps prevent apoptosis (Cell death) which is how kidney disease advances. Thus in the least, it will stop the advancement of your cat's kidney disease & stabilize the condition.
In some cats, c0q10 can raise liver enzymes. Therefore, get the cat regular blood tests. If a blood test shows any liver enzyme elevation, stop the Coq10, wait about a week and a half to two weeks for the enzymes to normalize, re-do the blood chemistry panel if possible and then re-start giving the cat c0q10. It's benefits far out weigh any potential for side effects, the most prominent one being the liver enzyme elevation. Also do regular blood tests if your cat is hyperthyroid and watch for any elevation of t4 values, lest you need to administer a higher dose of carbimazole/methimazole or take the cat for I-131 radio-active iodine treatment. This is an important part of the c0q10 treatment as hyperthyroidism robs the cat's body of its c0q10 and thus aids in the advancement of both heart and kidney disease. Good luck!

B. Khan

o

Thank you all for your comments! I seem not to have gotten notices about a few of them in the middle, but received B. Khan's message in an email today.

The cat I first wrote about here died in Dec. or 2012 at 19 years of age, after 3 years or so of serious kidney disease. In her case, Azodyl seemed to have no effect on her vomiting, so in the end, I relied entirely Ubiquinol and a home-made diet based on "Dr. Becker's Real Food for Healthy Dogs and Cats" (early edition).

Someone named Jackie, who was having trouble getting messages posted, emailed me privately with a lot of good advice, particularly about the use of Ubiquinol.

The veterinarian was greatly surprised at how long my girl remained in good condition, saying more than once, that she was "off the charts." I think she actually lived 2 years or more beyond the time when he had expected her to be on her last legs, and she was still eating and seemed comfortable and reasonably active almost up to her last day.

Now I have a 22-year-old male cat with CRF, who is doing amazingly well on Azodyl and Ubiquinol. Are you familiar with the squirt cans of Ubiquinol being sold by Dr. Mercola, whose newsletter I get? I used to cut capsules, but now find it a lot easier just to give a squirt or two from the container and mix it into the food. The container keeps oxygen out and so helps preserve the Ubiquinol. Each "pump" provides 10mg of Ubiquinol, according to the label, and I give one or two "pumps" with each dish of food, which probably works out to 40~50mg per day.

So far, it seems to be working very well. The cat is maintaining his weight of around 6.5 lbs. and apart from some arthritis and senile dementia, he appears to be happy--sitting on my lap while I watch TV and purring, enjoying a daily turn or two around the garden, and eating very well. He even trots a bit at times, and considering his great age, I think that's pretty good.

He often rejects the Azodyl if it is not mixed in with a bit of fishy cat food, but I will see what I can do to minimize his exposure to fish. I also appreciate the information on liver enzymes and the thyroid.

At 22 years and 2 months, every day is a gift. The only sad thing is that, in spite of his dementia, he still remembers and terribly misses the other cat, who was his great friend. He starts up from bed in the middle of the night to call and look for her, showing disappointment when she doesn't come. In the daytime, over and over, he demands access to the closet where they used to sleep together, where he sniffs the bedding and looks up to see if she might be on a higher shelf. I know he is probably seeing her in his mind in all these places, and it is heart-rending to see his grief when she doesn't materialize. In his younger days, he was the most intelligent cat I have ever had, and I'm glad he has retained some of his memory; but it's kind of too bad that senility did not blunt his sense of loss.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here