Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vieja_gw

Min-Pin w/liver problem .....

vieja_gw
10 years ago

We seem to have an invisable sign in our yard that 'welcomes' stray/abandoned dogs! We have our own German Shepherd that we bought, then came some Min-Pins (Miniature Pinschers) friends couldn't keep in their apt. & now a tiny, scruffy little terrier-like dog that followed my husband home recently: No collar, no tags, no microchip & no response to'found puppy' on Craig's list ... well he joined the others need-less-to-say! Just minimal Vet bilsl for neutering, vaccinations, license, microchip = $$$$ once again! One of the Min-Pins ('Bambi' ..only 7 lbs & 9 yrs. old.) has to have her teeth cleaned as she is old, has a tiny mouth but the vet required labs done before sedating her for teeth cleaning. lab tests showed elevated liver levels & Vet won't do cleaning until liver levels are OK again. 'Bambi' (she has 'fruit-bat' stand-up ears... looks like a deer!) was just put on 'Denamarin' Rx for three months & special food to see if levels return tio normal so she can have her teeth cleaned.

Has anyone ever had a dog on this drug &, if so, has it helped? With all the cost of giving these rescues a good home, we are limited to how far we can treat a dog this age to have her teeth cleaned.

Appreciate any ideas... thanks!

Comments (2)

• lzrddr
    10 years ago

Denamarin isn't technically a drug, but a 'nutriceutical', which puts in in the category with vitamins, coenzume Q, glucosamine and chondroitin etc. It is a combination Milk thistle and a product called 'SAME' (pronounced Sammy). It is very safe and seems to help the liver heal itself, though not what I would call a strong or powerful product. Just about any liver malfunction can potentially respond positively to Denamarin, but that doesn't mean it will. Still, since there are few down sides, why not try?

The best thing for helping abnormal livers (aka hepatopathies) is to get a proper diagnosis, so you really know what is wrong and what exactly should, if anything, be done about it... this usually requires an ultrasound and often a punch biopsy of the liver itself. Unfortunately elevated liver enzymes are not specific for any one condition, and literally several dozen different liver problems can look identical on blood work.

• vieja_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so much for the info.! I noticed that some of the ingredients are what I have taken in the past also!
    'Bambi' has had her first pill.... oh, what a battle?!! She would suck off the cheese we wrapped the pill in & then spit it out! The other dogs were watching (yes, those Min-Pins do smile,,, they taught the Shepherd to do so also but her big 'smile' can be misinterpreted by strangers!!!) so it helped as she was aware they would take her discards so she finally swallowed it. She is now on I/D liver diet canned dogfood also.

We have a older married couple who are both Veterinarians that have a clinic near us & they don't push what they know are our circumstances with all of our rescue dogs... esp. as they are nearing their breed's life expectancy & aren't suffering.

All the dogs are/ were on dry kibbled Alpo 'Come & Get It' ... get 40 lb. bag at Sam's. Purina always gave our Shepherds diarrhea!

Appreciate your response ... thanks again!