Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
petra_gw

Need fluid admin advice

petra_gw
11 years ago

We've hit a snag, Mr. Peanut does not want the fluids. Everything was fine for a while, but now he struggles and complains and just will not hold still. Tonight, we barely got half the needed amount into him because he kept struggling and dislodging the needle, and we finally gave up. We've tried room temp fluids, warmed, larger needles, smaller needles, doing smaller amounts daily, larger amounts every 2 days, food, treats, distractions, nothing is working. Have any of you dialysis experts run into this and, if so, how did you deal?

Comments (10)

• laurief_gw
    11 years ago

I can understand trying different techniques and tools to find what works best for Peanut, but I'm afraid that that strategy may have actually caused the problems you're having now. Each time you tried something that may have made him more uncomfortable, like larger needles, room temp fluids, or larger fluid volumes, you may have soured his attitude toward the whole procedure and made him distrustful. Now he doesn't know what to expect, so he's expecting the worst.

Stick with 20 ga needles, warmed fluids, and smaller fluid volumes daily. Distractions work with some cats, while other cats find distractions irritating. If distractions aren't working with Peanut, try just sitting very quietly and benignly with him during admins. My Billy was quite cooperative as long as I sat like a stone next to him, but the slightest movement or sound on my part would irritate him and make him try to leave.

Also, cats can develop scar tissue at the site of admin, making admins uncomfortable if you use the same site every time. Billy had a favorite site that I used for almost a year before he suddenly started fighting the procedure. Once I moved a centimeter over, he was fine again. If you generally place the needle so that fluid runs down Peanut's left shoulder, try placing it so fluid runs down his right, instead.

Laurie

• petra_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No, we tried different procedures as a result of him becoming intolerant. Everything was going fine initially, but then he became really resistant. There wasn't any change in procedure or supplies, but he did not want it any more. So we started trying different things, but he is still resistant. As for the admin site, we use a different area each time, plus switch sides, so probably no scar tissue. I just don't get it, unless he feels better over all and has decided he doesn't need it, ha.

• quasifish
    11 years ago

I'm sorry to hear you've hit a snag. I mentioned before that my kitty was a cranky fighter and we had best luck with her in a restraint bag. She was more comfortable when she was "swaddled." I don't know if trying something like that would be an option; it might be something you could ask your vet for his opinion on. S/he might have some ideas as to how to make administration more tolerable for all involved.

As I recall, there was one lady on this forum who would sit in her empty bathtub with legs outstretched and the cat between her legs. This was the position and location that worked for her and her kitty. It can be very strange to find that thing that works for you. My kitty also did better in a closed room (like a small bathroom) where there was little to no distraction.

After 6 years, Muddy developed a tremendous amount of scar tissue all over the back/shoulder area. By the last year the vet was suggesting that we could administer most anywhere along her back- the vet pulled up her skin to show me all the areas down the back we could do this. Still, she seemed to tolerate some areas better than others, just like Laurie said, for Muddy it was left shoulder running down that side.

• petra_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, a swaddling bag might the next step. We also switch sides and areas, but it doesn't seem to make a difference re. his tolerance. He was so good initially, my husband could pretty much administer the fluids without my help. But now, it takes two of us and it still doesn't work too well. I guess we'll just have to keep on with it whether he likes it or not, he is doing well otherwise.

• quasifish
    11 years ago

Well, at least he seems to be feeling better. That's a good sign :)

Muddy was such a wirey little contortionist that DH could not hold her still long enough for us to administer fluids- that is why we ended up with a restraint bag (I made my own out of canvas, a few old zippers, and some velcro). I recall one early administration when she broke loose from DH and took off running, leaving me with squirting needle in hand... Before we got the restraint bag, it was much more stressful on us all, and we had so many mishaps.

We figured that even if she had to be confined in a restraint bag, it was for such a short time, and the benefits were enormous, that the pros completely outweighed the cons by a long shot. I wish she could have been one of those cats who would sit still and seem to understand that this was for her benefit, but she was not. In time, she seemed to prefer the restraint bag. At least it is one more option if all others seem to fail you.

• petra_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It sounds like it worked well and made life a lot easier for all of you. I keep wondering why Peanut was fine with it initially, and now he is so resistant. Maybe he feels so much better from the fluids that he has enough energy to be feisty.

• Lily316
    11 years ago

I'm just hoping my 25 pound Henry never needs this, because to apply a drop of frontline takes two people totaling 280 pounds just to hold him down, and not get our faces raked in the process.

• petra_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

^^ I can relate, we have one with a major needle phobia. We didn't know this until he turned out to have stomatitis and had to have all of his teeth extracted. They sent us home with a baggy full of pain med syringes and he got so violent when we tried to give him the first shot, he almost injured himself. There would be no way we could give him fluids.

• lisa_fla
    11 years ago

The only thing I can think of right now is sometimes people put kitty on top of the clothes dryer for fluids-small room, small area, not much wiggle room.

I have a large dog that is good for the most part, but certain things on our walks can agitate him. I have to keep in mind Cesar Milan saying 'the energy travels thru the leash' and keep my demeanor calm and don't back down and turn around if I see something can cause problems Animals can sense if you start tensing up. Trying to be completely relaxed is a skill you can work on. Maybe tell yourselves to me pretty quiet and matter of fact no matter what transpires.

Today was an interesting day for us-I started fluids and Trevor sprung a leak-he just sat there and waited for me to shut off the line and retry. I moved the needle to his left side and it happened again!! He hopped away and I let him-small room the door was closed. I turned around a minute later to decide whether he was in the mood to continue or if I should hold off for an hour. He was stretched out on his side about 3 ft long it seemed just purring. Guess being soaked on both sides didn't faze him LOL. Of course-we have been doing this for almost 4 years so we have experienced it all!!

I can sense your determination and kitty will eventually give up and comply I think.

• Lily316
    11 years ago

It IS true. Animals sense the energy in the room. I totally get anxious with him. The other five animals are a piece of cake. Dogs are fine, cats a little less but are compliant. I swear Henry knows when the Frontline comes in the mail. His eyes get squinty ,and he sniffs the air. He MAY kill us someday...lol