Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
saltidawg

Dog Collar Tag

SaltiDawg
9 years ago

Found something of interest in the subject of dog collar tags.

In way of background. A QR Code is a circular barcode that you can find in many places, including in newspaper Ads. In the Ad case, you would scan the QR and it might take you to the product's web site. Or if you found one on an automobile windshield, it might present a copy of a Parking Pass for that car.

In the case of the dog collar device, the QR code is found on either paper sandwiched in a plastic cover OR it is printed on a metal disk. There is NO GPS or elctronics involved.

So someone finds your dog and collar and sees the QR code. They use their iPad or smartphone and scan the QR. It takes them to a web page that you previously had entered your pets info into... name, address, Vet's phone, medical issues, anything else.

Assuming the person with your dog allowed his/her location to be shared, the www site will also show the location of the phone (ie dog) and text or call or e-mail you.

When you get the text, you also will go to your pet's site and see his location.

As my wife says, why bother with this when that info can be on an engraved metal collar tag, making that redundant.

I hate it when she asks things like that. lol

These QR Tags sell for like $8-$16 dollars and include the lifetime dog's homepage. (You can edit it when you move or the dog's medical needs change.)

I'm not sure whether its needed because of the redundancy. However, it appeals to my techy side. :-)

YMMV

Here is a link that might be useful: An Example

This post was edited by saltidawg on Tue, Oct 7, 14 at 20:38

Comments (5)

• SaltiDawg
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another example... this one includes the "Tap" NFC ability in addition to the scan QR.

Here is a link that might be useful: A Second Example

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

I don't have a smart phone, so if I found a dog with one of these, I'd have no way to contact the owner.

I have name/address/phone number tags on my dog - one for home, one for my Mom's, one for our lake cabin. Those are the three places he goes most. When friends dog-sat for us for a week, I had a tag made up with their info - they cost just a few dollars each.

No need to re-invent the wheel!

• SaltiDawg
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I completely agree that these are not a replacement for an engraved tag... for eight bucks maybe an adjunct.

YMMV

• SaltiDawg
    Original Author
    9 years ago

On amazon.com I asked what the Dynotag could add in value to my engraved tag.

The reply was:

"Greetings,

What you can do with a dynotag is essentially put all relevant information such as food or medicinal allergies, etc. on the smart tag - and update whenever you want.

You of course can add any last minute information (if you are traveling, for instance) re. the friend's address you are staying, etc. and/or you can post a reward for return right on the tag.

Furthermore, when someone scans the tag or visits the unique web address on the tag, you get an instant "view notification" e-mail. If the viewing person allows Dynotag Cloud Service to get the precise location, you get that GPS assisted location in the "view notification" e-mail as well.

In addition to these, you can use the "log book" capability of the tag to record medical history and other significant events in your pet's life.

The dynotag offers all this functionality without use of any electronics and batteries as the information is maintained by the Dynotag Cloud Service. You get all these, for life, without any subscription costs.

Hope this helps,

Dynotag Customer Support"

• SaltiDawg
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Upon reflection on annkh's post and the answers from the Customer service Rep, I now conclude this is not an item that I need... an etched tag or tags will be fine.

I think it may be a product for some, so I'll leave my links above.