Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sue36_gw

Cleo is gone

sue36
16 years ago

Our sweet little Ragdoll Cleo passed away today at 2 years and 1 month old. I've never spent a night in this house without her. It seems very empty right now.

Some of you may remember she developed uveitis in March 2006 and we then learned she had FIP. I spoke to the breeder and learned the entire litter had it. She survived longer than all the others even though she was the littlest cat in the litter. We treated the eye and it them went to her lung in November 2006, and we had that drained and she rebounded, shocking everyone. The eye kept causing occasional problems, but she's been happy and generally healthy for most of the last 18 months. Se was a very special cat who was especially fond of DH who would play the whistle game with her (he would hide and whistle, and she'd hunt for him).

A few weeks ago she stopped wanting to eat and we had to entice her with fresh tuna steak and other treats. She then began losing control of her back legs and the vet told us the FIP had become neurological and was in her spinal column. She's been eating almost nothing, just drinking water, even though she was taking Pred and an appetite stimulant (Remeron). She dropped to about 7 pounds.

By Friday night DH and I knew she was going downhill rapidly. We covered the furniture with plastic and blankets so we didn't have to worry about the occasional leak. Last night I stayed up until 3:00 am with her and then DH took over. She had a seizure at around 3:00 am and then another one a few hours later. She would race around, panting and drooling, with a terrified look on her face. They were getting closer together today and we had to make the decision I never wanted to have to make.

We took her out in the yard to walk in the clover, which she loved. She watched the monarch butterflies and wandered around the garden we just planted. She had two seizures while we were out there, and we finally took her to the emergency vet. When we brought her in the vet seemed surprised we were there to put her to sleep. Wrapped in a towel in my arms you couldn't see how thin she had become, she looked like the little two year old cat she was, with her big blue eyes. I explained the medical history (advanced non-effusive FIP with spinal involvement and seizures). She had two more seizures while we waited. She went very peacefully, purring right to the end.

We buried her in the center of the new garden. Eventually an urn will mark the spot.

I want to thank all of you that gave me great advice and offered words of support over the last 18 months.

Here is a link that might be useful: More pictures

Comments (22)

• Elly_NJ
    16 years ago

So very sorry. She is a beautiful cat, and had lots of love in her short life.

• lilacs_of_may
    16 years ago

Such a beautiful kitty. I am so sorry to hear of her passing.

• cynthia_gw
    16 years ago

I'm so sorry. How heartbreaking to lose such a young kitty. Your actions in the last few days were just the right things to do and I hope it brings you some peace.

• sunshinetm
    16 years ago

I am sorry for your loss, never easy. Terri

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    16 years ago

I am very sorry for your loss. She was cute.
    Sammy

• Lily316
    16 years ago

She was a beauty and you made her last day special.She was lucky to have had you.

• premier
    16 years ago

Sorry to hear about your loss. She was beautiful.

• pranjal
    16 years ago

I'm very sorry for your loss. Cleo was a beautiful kitty, and very lucky to have you to take such good care of her.
    (((Sue)))

• quasifish
    16 years ago

I'm so terribly sorry. She was a gorgeous cat.

• petra_gw
    16 years ago

I am so sorry!!

• acorn
    16 years ago

She will grace your garden with the love and beauty she gave you in her life.
    ((((Sue and all)))))

• biwako_of_abi
    16 years ago

I'm crying; so sorry for you. I once had a Cleo, too, an orange Maine Coon cat, who lived to be 12. Your Cleo's time with you was much too short, but even the most loving owners don't get to say how long we will have our beloved pets with us, and you made her days happy. She was indeed beautiful.

• cat_mom
    16 years ago

I am so sorry for your loss...

• dobesrule
    16 years ago

I'm sorry she is gone. Even tho her life was too short you made it special while she was here.

Lisa

• lynn_d
    16 years ago

Rest well, Cleo.

• ilovepoco
    16 years ago

I'm so sorry for your pain. My old dog is going downhill with hypoglycemic seizures of increasing frequency and severity. It's so hard to watch and be able to do nothing to help... and to wonder if it's finally time. I'm so glad you had a few quiet moments together at the end. Cleo was quite a beauty.

Susan

• bessiedawg
    16 years ago

Cleo was a beautiful kitty. I am so sorry for your loss.

Linda

• harriethomeowner
    16 years ago

I'm sorry. She was really gorgeous. I just went through this and understand now how hard it is.

• lynne_melb
    16 years ago

Sue, I'm so sorry to hear this.

• ines_99
    16 years ago

It is never easy to lose a pet at any age, I still think of my cat Daphne who died of cancer in 98. I feel alot of guilt on top of the pain because I didn't even know she was sick until it was too late. At least you knew and did everything you could.

Cleo was a beautiful kitty. I hope it is true that we all get to see our lost animals again someday!

• weed30 St. Louis
    16 years ago

Sue, I am sorry about your sweet Cleo. It's heartbreaking to lose one of our babies :(

• clubm
    16 years ago

I'm so very sorry. Cleo was a beauty. Its so hard when
    we lose our beloved pets. I lost my Delhia on Oct 16 she
    was an 8 year Dobermen to cancer and like ines 99 didn't
    know she was sick until it was to late.