Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
so, I bought a Litter Maid...

Posted by vacuumfreak (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 13, 09 at 19:50

I have had a traditional covered litter box with a carbon filter in the top for the almost 4 years I've had my cat (who is about 4 years old now). I don't have time or energy to scoop several times a day and sometimes the smell would be pretty bad in my one bedroom apartment. I finally got fed up and bought the base model Litter Maid for about 90 dollars about a week ago. I was hesitant, because I've read some pretty terrible reviews... but I LOVE this thing!

My cat, Jasper started using it without a problem immediately (which is a surprise because I put the old one in the closet immediately just to see if he'd use the new one). It is has been working WONDERFULLY and has dramatically improved the quality of my life. No more scooping and no more smell. Jasper seems to like it as well, and seems fascinated by its raking action. Of course I will not be buying replacement receptacles due to the expense... I will just dump them or line them with a bag. The newer model that I have is a lot quieter than some older models I've seen and read bad reviews of. The only minor problem is that twice, the rake got a clump stuck to it and didn't allow it to fall into the waste receptacle. However, it did fall in the next time it did a cleaning cycle (I think it just had to dry a little more). I'll take that over constant scooping and stinking any day.

Before I bought it, I thought it would be a waste of money, but I'm here to tell you, if you're considering one, my all means go for it! They come with a 90 day money back guarantee anyway, so there's nothing to lose. I can't even describe how much better this has made life for Jasper and me. I kept the box so I could return it in case it didn't work right or Jasper wouldn't use it... but I'm throwing the box away this thing is staying! If it dies, I will replace it immediately with another!

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: so, I bought a Litter Maid...

Hey Vacuumfreak - I have a whole bunch of the replacement receptables that I would be glad to give you. I had a Littermaid for several years and I too loved it. I never went to replace it because I'm home more often and don't mind scooping it a couple times a day. PM me with your address and I'll mail them to you.

o

OK. I ordered one. Thanks for the review!

Now I need to find a cat.

o

I've got a cat for you.... really!
looking for a new litter maid. We used ours for a bit over a year (with 4 cats) and the motor finally croaked, Haven't broken down and bought another but this scooping 3x a day is getting old!

o

We have an extra cat too Fori (two, really)!

I don't love the littermaid as much with the five cats as I did when I just had one, but it's still better than constant scooping.

o

What are the drawbacks to the LM? I heard the poop and litter sticks to the "rakes".

o

A used cat?!! We must warp a kitty's psyche from scratch!

We're on day 3 with our teen-aged cat. He doesn't bury but he gets it in the box so I won't complain too much. I guess you learn a few things when you've spent your whole life in the shelter!

A little crud (wet litter, it looks like) is stuck to the rake at the moment, but remember, my boy doesn't bury. Our LM is noisy. The reviews on Amazon indicated that some are. It works though! It's only been used about 8 times though...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here