Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
camlan_gw

My cat got covered in paint today

camlan
12 years ago

Well, not covered completely, but a wide stripe down each side. Part of the house was being painted, so I shut her up in the bedroom with her food and water and liter and a big sign on the door about making sure she stayed in there. I had to leave for a few hours, but I thought she'd be safe.

But someone let her out. And now she has a wide stripe of white semi-gloss latex paint on each side. I didn't get home until it had dried. She's being very good and letting me comb and brush it out in small chunks.

But I have no idea if she tried to groom herself and swallowed any of the paint. We've just moved here this past week and I don't have a vet yet. She's acting normally (or as normally as a cat who has just moved house can act, which is hiding under the bed a lot). Should I try to find an emergency vet tonight? Or wait and see if she shows any symptoms?

Comments (7)

• Elly_NJ
    12 years ago

Is there paint on her face? If she were licking herself there would be paint on her face.

• annzgw
    12 years ago

The link below discusses someone who had the same problem. Her vet said the paint is non-toxic.

Here is a link that might be useful: cats and paint

• camlan
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks so much!

No, there's nothing on her face. And the paint on her sides isn't smeared or rubbed into her fur--it's all on the outer layer of fur. She must have just rubbed up against the baseboards while the paint was still wet, I think.

She's behaving normally, although she's being pretty vocal tonight--what with the strange men in the house today and all my extra brushing (she hates being brushed) and the move and all the rain we've been having, I'm surprised she isn't more stressed out than she appears.

Or maybe the tuna with a catnip chaser has something to do with that. Poor baby. She's sleeping with her head on my arm right now making typing a bit difficult, but I don't want to move her.

My neighbor gave me her vet's phone number, so I have a place to call if her condition changes, but right now, I'm hoping she'll be okay.

• gigi7
    12 years ago

I would take her to a vet and have her hair shaved...it will grow back before you know it; I had to do that once! none the worse for wear.....I have to shave two of my cats all the time for mats in their fur..one of them HATES for me to brush him...and the other one is 16 years old and can't groom quite as well as he could before.....I'd for sure do it for this! Just my two cents...take care!!! Love our furkids!!
    Moving has been extremely stressful for all of my animals....especially the kitties...she could be upset for many reasons, but the paint can't be helping...bless her heart..

• pamghatten
    12 years ago

You siad it'slatex, you should be able to wash most of it off.

I certainly wouldn't shave my cat totally for this.

I had a cat who once jumped into a pail of motor oil .. he had oil on the lower half of his body ... took him immediately to the vet and they were able to lightly sedate him and wash it off.

• camlan
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Just an update--she's fine. I called the vet my neighbor told me about on Monday morning and he saw no reason to bring her in. We did make an appointment in two weeks, so that he can see her when she's healthy, just in case she gets sick later.

The paint's all off now. I did have to cut out two clumps, but the rest came out with brushing and a little tugging.

And she's mostly recovered from the move. Well, she's discovered there's a lovely porch on the second floor and she's insisting on hanging out there most of the time. Bit odd really, since she was a stray who fended for herself for three months before running into my house one cold, rainy October evening. She hasn't had the least desire to go outside since--it will be 14 years next week. But the porch is calling to her, no matter how rainy and chilly it is out there. At this point, if it makes her happy and stops the constant meowing, I'm good with it.

This is her normal state:

This is her today:

It's 55 degrees out there and breezy, but she's not coming in.

• pamghatten
    12 years ago

She's beautiful ... and she's laying in the sun!

I also have a stray that came in a few years ago .. I told her if she came in, she was in for good. SHe's never made a dash to go back out ... realizes how good she's got it in the house!

She just needs some time to adjust, and she'll come in more and more.