Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kitchendetective

Another canine renal thread

kitchendetective
9 years ago

Thursday our lab mix rescue dog acted lethargic, less interested in going for walks. Friday we took her to vet, Creatinine 1.9 bUN 56 PHOS 7.3
She was on IV fluids for three days now Crea 1.9 BUN 39 Phos 6.8, but now Alb only 2.2 and ALT 131-- these were within normal limits before. She is off IV now and eating and drinking at vet.
Today our Great Pyrenees vomited foamy yellow vomitus. I took him right in. CREA 2.1. All other values normal. He is now on IV and got something for his tummy.The dogs are indoor dogs, walked on leashes. The only thing new in their diet is past three weeks of Blue--salmon version, when vendor ran out of usual lamb and rice. The GP is about 4 1/2 years old. We think the lab mix is the same or up to a year older. We are told it is unlikely that the "premium" dog food would cause this. No pesticide, ethylene glycol, medication, etc. that they have access to. They do sniff and lick grass and we live in the woods and have pastures. They have been known to sniff various scat--deer, chicken, cow, possum, rabbit, fox, coyote, raccoon, cat could all be around, although we monitor the dogs closely during walks. They drink the same RO water that we do. I am very worried.

Comments (14)

• lzrddr
    9 years ago

Would change diet anyway to something bland and see if their values improve⦠at least none are that far out of the ordinary, and if acute, could likely return all the way to normal⦠but for two young dogs to develop elevated renal values is extremely suspicious for eating same thing.

• annzgw
    9 years ago

If you're sure they both didn't get into something in the pasture then I would be suspicious of the dog food. One never knows when it could have gotten contaminated somewhere.

I used to be a big believer in Blue but when my dog began vomiting on a daily basis (once a day....yellow/foamy) I switched to another brand and he hasn't vomited since.

• kitchendetective
    Original Author
    9 years ago

They are both at the vet, eating the vet's food, whatever it is, and under evaluation. Thank you both for responding to this thread. DH suspects the food, too. I am so upset.

• kitchendetective
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The great news today is both dogs' blood and urine lab results are completely normal with all IVs and catheters out. Vet wants to keep lab on a special diet for her kidneys (don't know name yet), but says GP can go back to normal food, but not the salmon mix they were on for a few weeks when lamb/rice was unavailable. I am not sure that we should return to Blue at all, though. We can't pick up the dogs until tomorrow. What do you all think?

• ardcp
    9 years ago

i would go for another food altogether. a lot of the premium foods are processed at one plants so when there is a recall, they all get recalled even though they are different companies.
    i have a shihtzu with allergies. i was told salmon is a "hot" protein as is beef, chicken and lamb. my daughter works at a boutique pet store and has had quite a lot of training on foods/proteins etc and usually recommends Fromm, arcana, evo or orgin. we use fromms as it is a small family owned company, has had no recalls, and is less costly than orgin. my dogs like the pork and peas as well as the lamb and lentil.
    good luck:)

• kitchendetective
    Original Author
    9 years ago

What is a "hot protein"?

• ardcp
    9 years ago

apparently a hot protein is one that sets allergic animals off. i would liken it to the peanut for us in that peanuts are a food that many are allergic too. not to say that it would bother a non allergic but it is a common allergen

• kitchendetective
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you. I'm sorry that I did not see your response earlier. Right now, the Lab mix is on a canned food from the vet. After one week, she will be tested again for kidney function issues. The G.P. is having rice and eggs and lean meat cooked by DH until I locate Origen or Fromm's. I returned to Petco and they said a Blue rep would be in touch with us. They do not carry the other foods recommended here. I was hoping not to mail order, but may have to do so. One store 90 miles from here may have it.

• annzgw
    9 years ago

There are many excellent dog foods available at your local pet store so check out some of the brands recommended in the link below.

When my dog was having trouble with Blue one of the staff at Petsmart said she'd had several other people say the same thing........their dog started vomiting after feeding it. I doubt you'll learn very much from the rep....but you may be added to their data.
    I now feed Nutro Ultra and my dog is doing very well on it. Groomer says skin and coat are in excellent condition : ).

Here is a link that might be useful: Dog food ratings

• ardcp
    9 years ago

petco and petsmart don't carry fromms,orgin or evo near me either. fromms is a small company so maybe they can't do the volume the big chains require? my other daughter lives in boston and orders it online as she has the same problem. i would guess if you go to the company's website, it will give you a list of online and local retailers.
    i wish you and your dogs well:)

• kitchendetective
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Following up for the helpful people here. Both dogs' blood and urine labs are completely normal now. They are starting on Fromm's tomorrow. The vet has had a cluster of renal failure in dogs lately. No common thread that he can find. In one particularly bad case, the probable cause was dog licking zinc-containing sunscreen. They haven't gotten into any zinc here, though.

This post was edited by kitchendetective on Sat, Nov 1, 14 at 1:43

• annzgw
    9 years ago

Forgot to ask.........do you feed any treats? If so, check out the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Treats from China

• kitchendetective
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, they had treats, but they were Blue treats, too. Salmon biscuits and those little smoked-flavor hearts. We discontinued all Blue products. Lab mix is on Fromm's Gold and GP is on Orijen Large Breed Adult, but they keep trading food. I'm not sure that matters as one is 55 lbs. and the other 110.

• dirt_cred
    9 years ago

Wondering where Blue gets their salmon. Could that have an effect? Some fish farming is pretty bacteria ridden from what I hear.