Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ehrlichiosis--Poor Pup!!!

Posted by airforceguy (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 27, 12 at 17:54

I had posted earlier about Mel---The Malnourished pup--we are fostering from a Grenada Nicaragua rescue organization. The plan was to foster and if all worked out with our other dog, keep her!

She had some kind of infection going on inside her when we first got her, so she was on Clavamox for 10 day. Yesterday I noticed white flat like worms (just a few) in her stool, so it was back to the vet today. Vet said she just does not look right, so lets redo the blood work!! The RBC and platelets 2 weeks ago were on the very low side of normal---but today they were very low (can't recall the #'s) So he redid the tick test. 2 weeks ago it was negative, but today it was just barely positive!! He said that the disease can take 1-3 weeks to show up--which it now just had!!

So now she is on 3 weeks of doxycyline.

From my readings, it is passed via blood. So there is some risk to my other dog and 2 cats. As well they say since we caught this early, her chances are good for fighting it, BUT she may be a lifetime carrier of it.

I guess our biggest concern is she infecting our dog and 2 cats!! If anyone has any info that would be super. Our vet here in Nicaragua is very good, but they don't have all the latest high tech or info that other vets form N. America may have.
Many Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ehrlichiosis--Poor Pup!!!

what a skinny little thing she is! And so cute with her big cone ears. According to this university, the transmission danger is still ticks, a tick biting her then one of your other pets. So tick control would a consideration.

In general, dogs infected with Ehrlichia are not considered to be directly contagious to other dogs or humans but can act as a reservoir of infection for the tick vector. These ticks could then expose susceptible dogs to infection.
http://www.cvm.okstate.edu/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=272:what-is-ehrlichiosis-i-would-like-to-learn-more-about-ehrlichiosis-and-how-to-protect-my-dog&catid=27:small-animal-questions&Itemid=315

good luck, I hope she responds well to treatment.

o
RE: Ehrlichiosis--Poor Pup!!!

She has actually put on 3 lbs since that pic (nearly 3 weeks ago) and looks much better!!

Really no surprise that she has it, as she was covered in ticks when we brought her to the vet---they had to give her 2 tick baths over a 2 day period, and shaved her!!

I think the chances of her passing it on to the other animals are slim. But as you stated she can act as a reservoir!! Thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here