Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
airforceguy

Ehrlichiosis--Poor Pup!!!

airforceguy
11 years ago

I had posted earlier about Mel---The Malnourished pup--we are fostering from a Grenada Nicaragua rescue organization. The plan was to foster and if all worked out with our other dog, keep her!

She had some kind of infection going on inside her when we first got her, so she was on Clavamox for 10 day. Yesterday I noticed white flat like worms (just a few) in her stool, so it was back to the vet today. Vet said she just does not look right, so lets redo the blood work!! The RBC and platelets 2 weeks ago were on the very low side of normal---but today they were very low (can't recall the #'s) So he redid the tick test. 2 weeks ago it was negative, but today it was just barely positive!! He said that the disease can take 1-3 weeks to show up--which it now just had!!

So now she is on 3 weeks of doxycyline.

From my readings, it is passed via blood. So there is some risk to my other dog and 2 cats. As well they say since we caught this early, her chances are good for fighting it, BUT she may be a lifetime carrier of it.

I guess our biggest concern is she infecting our dog and 2 cats!! If anyone has any info that would be super. Our vet here in Nicaragua is very good, but they don't have all the latest high tech or info that other vets form N. America may have.

Many Thanks

Comments (2)