Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I took my dog to the nursing home today

Posted by weed30 (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 11, 09 at 17:54

I had a retired neighbor who let my dogs out and played with them every day. Sadly, he had a stroke a few weeks ago, and is now in a nursing home. His wife ended up getting pneumonia, and after being in the hospital for 2 weeks, they moved her there too. They are in separate wings, because he has to be in the 'locked' area.

Today I took one of my dogs, Daisy, to see them. I brought Florence over to where Jim is, so we could all visit. They were both happy to see her, and she was so good! All of the residents who were out and about wanted to say hi, and Daisy LIVES to be petted and scratched, so she was in doggy heaven. I brought a bag of treats with me, and she showed everyone that she could sit, shake, lay down, roll over, and give a kiss. It was really a nice afternoon for all of us :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I took my dog to the nursing home today

That's an awesome thing you did! My mother spent a couple of months in a nursing home, and there are some of the saddest, loneliest people I've ever seen in there. I bet Daisy just brightened up their day!

o

years ago, i used to take my corgi kids to the local nursing home. this is a farming community. many of the residents had to leave their beloved pets behind and they longed for the feel of fur and sloppy kisses. i always called ahead to let them know i was coming, they would bring many of the residents to the day room and put them in a big circle. my pups would go from one chair to the next, getting treats and pets. like yours, they were in doggy heaven.

my female corgi, one day there, disappeared. it was unusual that she wouldn't stay right with us. i went looking for her. one of the nurses pointed to an open door at the end of the hall and told me she was there. when i peeked in, maggie was sitting on a chair next to an elderly man's bed. he was stroking her head and cooing to her. i learned later that he passed away that very evening. i think she knew he was nearing his end and wanted to offer him comfort. she was such a perceptive little girl!

o

Daisy does seem to brighten everyone's day - she is about half the size of a normal beagle, and very social.

ninapearl, that is such a sad sweet story.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here