Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
retraining puppy and adult dog: advice needed

Posted by nihal (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 29, 06 at 17:32

Hi,

I am hoping someone out there might have some advice on how to solve my puppy problem.

I have three dogs, all female, ranging between 6 years and 1 year.
The puppy was never properly housebroken, and as a result, has recently gone from being "half" housebroken, to not wanting to do ANYTHING outside. Curiously, she is only interested in swallowing possible goodies on the street, but not minimally intrigued by the smell of other dogs, including the older two.

Is there an age at which puppies/dogs become attracted to the smell of other dogs? Is it normal that at 1 year she is not?

As if on cue, one of my other dogs, has decided to "keep the puppy company"... so now I have two soiling dogs at home, although the 6 year old only does this occasionally during the day, but apparently every night.

Does anyone know how I can change this? I am out at work all day, but there is someone at home with the dogs and who takes them out at regular hours. However, she has no experience with dogs and is, I think, much of the reason why they "untrained". I thought of putting the puppy back in her crate, at least at night. Is that advisable at this stage?

Any advice would be most appreciated,
thanks
Nihal

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: retraining puppy and adult dog: advice needed

I believe in crate training....no dog is too old to have a refresher course in crating...never use it as punishment, though. Just get their bladder/routines back on course.

o

Yes! Back in the crate! Whenever a dog regresses in its housetraining, you can go back to the crate training and start over.

If they do mess in the house, be sure and clean it up thoroughly with enzyme cleaner (or I use white vinegar) to remove the odor, which they will keep going back to.

o

I need some more information. Are any of your dogs fixed? This could be a problem right there. Have multiple females can cause problems with Alpha female marking, and the girls will end up marking just like boy dogs do.
You write "The puppy was never properly housebroken, and as a result, has recently gone from being "half" housebroken, to not wanting to do ANYTHING outside." How come this pup was not housebroken? Can you shed light on this? Curiously, she is only interested in swallowing possible goodies on the street, but not minimally intrigued by the smell of other dogs, including the older two. There is a couple of ways to stop this behavior and it is my opinion that the sooner the better, because poisonings do happen, and I would hate to hear of it. While walking your puppy, if she puts something in her mouth she is not suppose to have IE anything you dont give her, get a travel sized toothpaste tube or a small bottle of tobasco sauce and dab her tongue. Now there are people who have had a cow when I said I dabbed my dogs tongue with toothpaste because YOU ARE NOT SUPPOSE TO SWALLOW IT, well you only need a small amount, the mintier the better, and hopefully you wont need to do it for long, I dabbed my dogs tongue, told him to leave it, maybe three times, since then all he eats is grass. Besides I would rather dab his tongue a half a dozen times then end up with a sick dog because he does not know any better. Some dogs like the taste of toothpaste, try the tobasco sauce.

Is there an age at which puppies/dogs become attracted to the smell of other dogs? Is it normal that at 1 year she is not?
Your dogs behavior is not normal, but I dont know much of her history, where she comes from, if you take her out everyday for walks or not, or what her daily routine is, the more info you can give, the better.

As if on cue, one of my other dogs, has decided to "keep the puppy company"... so now I have two soiling dogs at home, although the 6 year old only does this occasionally during the day, but apparently every night.
*I am wondering if the puppy is fixed or not...this might explain your older dogs behavior, best to get the older one into the vet for a check up tho, this could be a sign of things not being right and it happening just when your puppy is doing it might be coincidental.
Does anyone know how I can change this?

When you say the person at your house takes them out during the day, what does this mean, takes them out back in a fenced yard to romp, or actually takes them for a good long walk. Your puppy might be suffering from what I call the fishbowl disease, where she is not getting enough outside stimulation. Sounds like her walkies is more about eating and sniffing than about walking. Walking with your pup should not be a stroll. it should be the first 5 minutes being duty time and the rest an outright brisk walk. This helps pups focus and helps them pay attention and helps rid them of excessive energy. Please fill in some more of the blanks and lets see if we can get this problem figured out.

o

Hi Mazer,
thanks for your post and your offer to help. Here is some of the missing info:

the two older dogs (6 and 5 years old) are fixed: the puppy is not. But of the two older dogs, only one has restrarted soiling again.

As for her housebreaking; shortly after I had her I was obliged to leave her in care for a couple months, due to my own health problems. the person who cared for her has also been caring for my other dogs for several years, and is where they stay when I am out of town. However, no matter how hard I have tried, she is not disciplined and does/did not take them out at regular hours... hence he unsuccessful housebreaking. Then, when I got the dogs back, I reinstated regular hours, but then I only take them out in the morning and evening, and my housekeeper (different person) takes them out during the day, supposedly at fixed hours. At first the puppy did some indoors, some out doors, but I realized recently that it has become a "purely indoor" thing.
Regarding the walks, i live in a very dense, polluted, and general animal-hating city (Casablanca, Morocco) where "brisk walks" are saved for the weekend when the dogs can be taken out of the chaos to the beach or the countryside. Otherwise, their walks are 4 half hours walks (these are french bulldogs, hence small), to as grassy an area I can find. Of course, I DO NOT let my puppy eat ANYTHING (not in my presence) (and I will try the tabasco. I had used it years ago on my furniture to stop the chewing, and it seemed to work), but I am sure that which the other woman, she gets away with eating things....
Another thing I must clarify: the puppy is very attracted to other dog poo.. but when her sisters pee, she is totally disinterested. If one of the other two pees, the other promptly goes over with her own marking. The puppy though is not interested in this, but loves the smell of other dog and and cat droppings... this, however, does not make her do her duty, just sniff and, if she could, take a bite.

I have had my older dog examined, and apparently hers is a nervous/behavioural thing. she is much more nervous than my second dog, with whom I don't have these problems. I am sure her peeing in the house is a behavioural thing. But physically she is fine.

I recently moved from France, where I already had the dogs, to Morocco. As I explained, this country is rather hostile to dogs, and as it is, finding someone who is willing to care for them has been a bit of an ordeal (I don't like leaving them alone at home all day), but finding someone who is disciplined and knowledgeable enough about dogs is... like finding a needle in a haystack. Not totally impossible, but just about. None of this helps my situation, but it's the best I can do for the moment.

I don't know if this additional info helps any, but again, any and all advice is most appreciated.

Thank you,
Nihal

o

Nihal, Sorry to hear of your troubles. FIRST put the puppy back in the crate. The housetraining needs to be done first and foremost.

SECOND - please have the dog spayed/neutered. Since I am only on the first cup of joe I am not sure if you said sex of dog.

I have 3 dogs, 1 female (12 yrs.) and 2 (5 & 3 yrs.)male labradors almost 100 lbs each. . The youngest eats (if I am not watching) the middle dog's poo. Now, gets weirder, the middle dog used to eat the old gal's poo, but now both boys are in the backyard and my old gal goes only out front. So that was solved. Before that, vet recommended either a basket muzzle when the poop eater was outside with poop available or, put meat tenderizer on the dog who's poo was being eaten. I didn't want to do the tenderizer since the sodium count was so high, I wasn't sure if it was really good idea to give that to an 11 year old dog on 15 meds a day LOL. I don' think eating poop is a good thing (can cause worms and yucky other problems), but I think the soiling in the house should be addressed first.

That said, my old gal was completely house trained, but put back in her crate at about 9 months old because I came home and she had chewed the skirt off of a sofa in the house. I got the crate out, cleaned it off at 10 p.m. and put her back in it for about a year. She learned not to eat my furniture.

My youngest (3yr. old) still goes into his crate, likes it. I don't have the heart to put it away.

I know it gets crazy with the crates taking up alot of room, but IMHO it is the only way to train your pet.

I don't know a thing about reaction to opposite sex or other dogs, except to say that with each dog we add, it usually potty trains faster since he follows the older dog.
Bets of luck to you.

o

Hi Labmomma, thanks for your advice; I had the crate sent up last night (i had lent it out a while ago) so as of tonight, little Emma goes back into the crate. Meanwhile, while I am out, I have reduced their movement area within the house to a small portion of the kitchen, big enough for them to move around and for their little beds, but not much "hiding" space. Let's see how they react to that.

One question though: what difference would it make to have the puppy spade ? I mean, in terms of her housebreaking? the other two are spade, but I was undecided about this one lest I want to have puppies later, so I was giving us (me) time to decide. I have always spade my dogs as I hate the notion of reproducing dogs that would end up Gosh Knows Where and cared for Gosh Knows How... but I am moving into a house with a huge garden in about a year, and thought that maybe, at that point, I could considering having (and keeping some) a litter of puppies.
the point being, is there any known cause-and-effect issue between spade dogs and housebreaking?

I used to have another dog a while back who also ate poop, as did my currently middle dog.. I avoided it as much as possible, but they both just grew out of it at some point. I am unsure though if this is the current case or not.
Well, wish my luck on my new disciplinary measures :=))

Enjoy,
Nihal

o

I rescued a 2yr old dog who was getting my routine, I have given him free reign & it's too cold outside for him, he has peed all over and has BMS in house, what should I do? I am feeding him at the same time & trying to take him out at the same time, he likes to walk, but it's too cold to walk now and will not make on demand

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here