Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mfoxjackson

Crate or Whelping box?

mfoxjackson
11 years ago

Hi All, I was hoping someone could answer my question.

If a dog has been crate trained and sleeps in her crate every night, will she use that same crate as a whelping box if she has puppies? Or should it be a different box and or location?

Thanks,

margaret

Comments (7)

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    11 years ago

My girls whelp and raise their pups in their kennels or a bit bigger kennel all the time. The puppies stay in the kennel until they are moving around more (about 2 weeks) and I then put them in a kiddie plastic pool with bedding and news paper or I put their kennel in an x-pen with news paper and keep the kennel door open. I find this the best way to kennel train my pups and house train them. :)

A word of caution, I have shelties and their pups are not usually in danger of being rolled on. I would be concerned with a larger dog in a kennel without a safety rail. :)

Ginny

• mfoxjackson
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Ginny for your help and answering my question.

Sylviatexas, while I appreciate you have an opinion, I hadn't asked if it was ok for someone's dog to have puppies.

I wondered why when I searched the forum prior to my post and I saw a lot of posts leading with a request for no judgements or lectures. Makes sense now.

• sylviatexas1
    11 years ago

Does it seem reasonable to ask for advice & attempt to censor the advice offered?

This is a Pets Forum, not a breeders' forum;
    I've always found the participants here to be concerned with the welfare & well-being of pets.

Perhaps you'd be happier on a forum dedicaed to breeding.

• mfoxjackson
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I understand your point Sylvia, however I am not a breeder and never did I say it was MY dog.

• texasredhead
    11 years ago

Are you asking your original question about someone else's dog. I believe Sylvia's concern and mine may concern "backyard" breeders. I have a male Pembroke Welsh Corgi, and a female Cardigan Welsh Corgi, both from AKC registered breeders and both dogs came with their AKC papers.In both cases, when I origionaly purchased these dogs from two different breeders, I signed documents agreeing to have both dogs neutered and I would not use either dog for breeding purposes. Now, I am not lecturing you or anyone else. It is just that better breeders are concerned about the integrity of the breed.

• calliope
    11 years ago

And there are those of us who have rescued pregnant females and aside from aborting their pups, are obliged to provide them with a safe and humane place to deliver. We would be asking a question like this as well.