Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Antlerz?

Posted by ms_minnamouse (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 12, 10 at 15:45

Has anyone tried these? They're deer antlers. I'm concerned they make break tips off of Ginger's teeth.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Antlerz?

My friends lab carries around shedded deer amtlers everyday, gnawing on them for months...I dont see a problem unless the antler gets to be a small tip, them I would chuck it for fear of it going down and getting stuck..

o

i know several people who give their dogs deer antlers and they last forever and the dogs LOVE them.

i'm gonna check those out. the hunters around here won't part with antlers!

o

I got one for our dog and his interest lasted about 5 minutes. He is probably in the minority.

o

I just bought these for my 2 boxers. They love them. One of my boys destroys most chewies in minutes. He has been gnawing on his antler for days and it's barely scratched! I will definately purchase more of these.

o

We deer hunt so always have a supply of antlers, plus we find shedded ones in our woods. The secret to the longevity of deer antlers is that you have to age them for at least a year and probably two. The fresh ones will get chewed up right away. Deer shed their antlers every winter and you seldom find them in the woods even when you have hundreds of deer. That is because small animals devour them right away.

We have two labs and aged antlers are the only thing they can't chew up. No splitting or splintering.

o

But do they break off the tips of teeth?

o

These two still have all of their teeth tips and my former dog who lived to be 16 yrs. kept all of his teeth also.

o

If you soak them in chicken broth now and again they love them even more.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here