Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Companion kitty for senior cat?

Posted by jessicaml (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 3, 11 at 15:45

DH and I have a 14 year old female cat. I love the cat, but she's "his" (as much as a cat can belong to someone). Lately I've been really wanting my own fur baby, and cats can be so much more fun in multiples. I've read conflicting advice on what would be the best match. Some say a kitten is least threatening to an adult cat; others say a kitten is too rambunctious for a senior cat. Yet others suggest young or senior adults. Any age would probably be a neutered male from the shelter, properly introduced in stages. What do you think? Or is any additional cat going to be too rough on the old lady?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Companion kitty for senior cat?

In my experience, elderly females rarely enjoy the company of other cats unless they've been raised in a multicat household. If you really want to bring in another feline for yourself, however, I would recommend either a young female kitten, or an older, very mellow, neutered male with a history of living peacefully with cranky females. I would NOT recommend a male kitten, as they tend to be obnoxiously active and demanding of play. If you want a male kitten, then adopt two so that they can wear each other out and hopefully leave the older female alone. If you adopt an adult, your husband's old girl may be more accepting of a mellow, neutered male than she would be of another adult female.

Of course, these aren't hard and set rules. Individual personalities always override any generalizations about age and gender matches.

Laurie

o
RE: Companion kitty for senior cat?

If you decide to go forward with adopting, I'd make the recommendation to foster a cat and test the waters first. Personalities very but you may end up with an unhappy old lady for the rest of her days. There are a lot of rescue groups (at least around here) that need placements until a cat can find its forever home. If you are open to an adult cat, by all means try that first. Once grown, the kittens are just that much harder to place. I think fostering is a great approach for anyone considering a pet. And if it doesn't work out, it alleviates the guilt because you've at least you've helped the animal waiting for a permanent spot.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here