Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dj123_gw

Vet recommends euthanasia tomorrow 16yr old sick Tabby

dj123
12 years ago

Hello,

My cat, Rock, is a 16 year old male tabby. He has had a thyroid condition for 2 yrs and has been taking tapizole to reduce his thyroid function & was doing well. In the past month his behavior is lethargic and we noticed he has become very thin. We took him to the vet she gave him fluid infusion for his dehydration & told us he had lost 25% of his body weight since he was in 1 year ago (is 6 1/2 lbs was 9 lbs). Blood test results: his thyroid function needs to be reduced more, we are giving him a higher dosage of tapizole. His red blood count is very low, doesn't know why he is now anemic. She suspects underlying more serious issues, possibly cancer. If they put him through tests and found the problems then what. She said maybe it's just his time. He is not drinking or eating for 3 days now. She doesn't recommend more tests because he is so weak & is 16 yrs old. She said if he continues to not eat or drink over the weekend we should bring him in Monday to euthanize. Since we came back from the vet he has been getting worse. If the thyroid was the cause of his problems he would be most likely acting the opposite. Very thirsty, drinking alot (he has always loved water, drinks from faucets) and have energy not be lethargic, hardly moving. We have been giving him the increased dosage of tapizole with a syringe applicator since Friday, also administering little water through it. His eyes have become watery. He purrs and moans, walks hesitantly a bit than lays down. He has always had a great fear of the vet. I am sure everyone understands how painful it is standing there not knowing how to help our loved one, if what we come up with is helping, to do or not to do. We would be so grateful if he could get well and stay with us awhile longer. Any advice would be greatly appreciated and give us hope. Is there something we can do to make him better?

Comments (25)

• petaloid
    12 years ago

If even your vet recommends euthanasia, I would guess it's time, because she could gain more income with further treatment.

It's super hard to make this decision, but the purring and moaning indicates that he is feeling miserable.

In the past, what has worked best for us is to be in the room with the cat, holding/petting it while the shots to euthanize are given.

I prefer the two shot method, where the first one tranqilizes them and the second one sends them over the rainbow bridge.

So hard to say goodbye to our kitties, but afterward we knew we had done right to end their suffering.

• cynthia_gw
    12 years ago

I'm very sorry your beloved kitty is so ill. Did you know that purring doesn't always mean contentment? It's also a type of self-healing, and cats also purr when stressed. If he is not showing improvement in a day or so and you decide to let him go, perhaps consider a mobile vet who will come to your home. That will be less stressful for Rock and for you too.

• dj123
    Original Author
    12 years ago

We thank you for your quick replies. If it does become necessary I think we may be able to locate a vet that would euthanize in our home rather than bringing him into our vet. Thank you for your information about the 2 shots, we were not aware of that. Does anyone have any advice regarding force feeding food to Rock. I don't know if it's worth it, putting him through the discomfort & possibly fear of doing this. I just don't know if this works. Has anyone had good results by doing this to an older cat? Once again, we would greatly appreciate your thoughts to help us give our Rock any possible chance to recover. Thank you so much.

• jean001a
    12 years ago

Perhaps your own vet will come to the house. Ours did. But we had to ask.

• michelle_phxaz
    12 years ago

Oh, I am sending the biggest kitty hugs, this is the worst part of having kitties. I have been through this, and with all these signs I think he is telling you that it is time. You know he is misereable, and I think your brain knows it is time but your heart doesn't want to admit it.

Let him go before it gets worse, I so totally agree with all the above posters on their recommendations. Try to see if someone will come to the house to do it, hold him in your arms and whisper into his ears how much he means to you and how much you love him and how much you will miss him. He may not hear you but your heart will, and you will know you have done everything you can. He will understand and know that you are doing what is in his best interest even though it feels so wrong.

Let us know how things are going, I am sending him lots positive energy and hope things turn around. We are here for you anytime, day and night, so post if you need a shoulder or a cyber kleenex. This forum helped me through it, I hope we can be there for you too.

Sending furbaby hugs and sandpaper kisses,
    Michelle

• dj123
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Your post was soo sweet I don't know what to say, I cried. You are very understanding and kind. We decided to try force feeding. I hope it helps. It's our only chance. Thank you for your support, hugs & kisses.

• Elly_NJ
    12 years ago

You've done such a good job with him all these years. It is terrible to come to the end and worry about his comfort.

I don't think at this point feeding him will improve his life. Fluids, maybe.

Don't let it go on too long. It's so difficult to let go, but you want him comfortable and at peace.

All my best to you and your sweet boy.

• dj123
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Your post was soo sweet I don't know what to say, I cried. You are very understanding and kind. We decided to try force feeding. I hope it helps. It's our only chance. Thank you for your support, hugs & kisses.

• gardenandcats
    12 years ago

I have been in your place many times. I have had to have two put down this past year. One was 14 the other 13..It is the hardest thing to do. But sometimes it is their time. And it is the most loving act of kindness that you can do for your baby.
    As much as we want them here with us and want them fixed at this age it sounds like you have done all that can be done. Not eating or drinking. The weight loss. and the moaning .Sounds kitty is in pain. Hugs for you ..I'm sorry

• 3katz4me
    12 years ago

So sorry to hear this sad story. It sounds a lot like my 16 year old orange tabby who has hyper-T and also recently became anemic. He's eating and drinking but less than he used to and he has lost weight also. I've been thinking for a while that I will soon be heading down the same path you are on now.

I've had a couple kitties put to sleep and the last time went much better than the first time. First time was at our house and the second at the vet but the second time I asked for something to sedate my kitty before I brought him in so it would be a peaceful ride and a peaceful end. I was given some acepromazine pills for when the time came. So I gave him two of those and he slept on my lap like a baby. It went as well as that kind of thing could go. I said my goodbyes at home before I took him in and I didn't linger there.

It's so hard - my heart goes out to you.

• petaloid
    12 years ago

dj123 -- I sent you an e-mail

• Lily316
    12 years ago

I think it's time. I know you don't want to hear it, but your vet probably thinks he won't get better. Believe me, I understand the grief. Sometimes I think the utter sadness of losing a pet is worth it. I've gone thru it so many times and each time is rougher. It would be nice if someone would come to your house. It would be a final gift to the dear little kitty you love. He would not be afraid in his own surroundings with his loved ones. Good thoughts to you.

• dj123
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I can not say enough about how loving, understanding & supportive you all have been helping us cope in our most difficult time. The owner of the practice came to our home today, he has treated our pets over the years as well as the vet Rock saw last week. He examined Rock and told us there is a mass in his intestines which unfortunately if you remove one mass there is always more down the road. This type of cancer spreads very quickly. He didn't recommend putting him through major surgery at his age, because he would need another and another. The vet said it was his time & the most loving thing we could do is put him to sleep. We did. We will bury him and keep him close always. Trying to type and see through my tears is difficult so I will say goodbye for now & thank you to all my new friends here who when I reached out was there for us. This is the first time I have ever shared online and I hope I can help and be there for any of you in need. My family sends their love, thanks & prayers for all your compassion.

• homebodymom
    12 years ago

I am so sorry for your loss. It is the worst part of being a pet owner, but the most loving gift we can give.

hugs being sent your way ((( )))

• cat_mom
    12 years ago

My heart goes out to you, and I am also typing through tears for you and for Rocky. He was lucky to have you and vice versa.

(((HUGS)))

• Lily316
    12 years ago

I know you're going thru a very bad time now, but know you absolutely did the best and final loving act for your beloved cat. Please accept my sympathy and know I believe someday you will reunited again with your dear Rock.

• pamghatten
    12 years ago

So sorry to hear about Rock ... take time to greive .. you did what you had to do, and he is no longer in pain.

• Elly_NJ
    12 years ago

Thinking of you and your sweet boy.

• cynthia_gw
    12 years ago

I'm so sorry.

• cal_dreamer
    12 years ago

Hope you are soon filled with great memories of a beloved companion. I'm so sorry for your loss.

• 3katz4me
    12 years ago

I am so sorry.

• schoolhouse_gw
    12 years ago

Sorry. Always a hard time, rest assured you did the right thing.

• Debbie Downer
    12 years ago

So sorry to hear of your loss of your kitty companion. It sounds like you did everything you could... even coming here to see if there was anything else you might be missing. And, it sounds like he was in considerable distress - cats generally hide their pain, so for you to notice it .... well, that means something. Take care and all the best to you.

• michelle_phxaz
    12 years ago

I am sending hugs your way, you did the right thing and Rocky appreciated it. He is no longer in pain, he is somewhere that he can chase angel mice and eat all the kitty treats he wants. I told my Frankie to be at the door to meet him, and he will be his buddy.

I am glad you had it done at home and buried him near you, you will always be able to go out and talk to him and know he is watching over you.

Furbaby hugs and sandpaper kisses,
    Michelle

• mobile-vet
    12 years ago

I am so sorry you Vet is recommending Pet Euthanasia
    It is difficult without knowing if there are changes in the lab work. But sometimes the tapazole can make cats not feel very well. There is a new prescription diet from Hill's called y/d. It is suppose to have decrease Iodine and is suppose to treat cats with hyperthyroidism without the use of medication. It is new but might be worth a try. There maybe other diseases going on... if this is true then obviously the diet will not help.