Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need advice on disinfection

Posted by cal_dreamer (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 7, 09 at 15:19

My 15 year old dog recently got out of our backyard after some workers left the gate open. Our fault, we didn't double check before we let him out. He was picked up and taken to the pound about 3 miles away - amazing because he is mostly blind, mostly deaf and has really bad hips.

Sadly by the time we got him home he was very ill and exhausted. We've been debating about when to put him to sleep, and this is it. By the time some of you read this, he'll be gone.

He just had a big accident of foul smelling, watery bloody stool in our dining room. (No big deal to me, I'm a nurse and have seen worse.) The problem is that my daughter is throwing a surprise party for my husband saturday night.

I wiped the floor with sanicloths and let air dry. Then I sprayed lysol and let it air dry per directions. When I get home, I'll wipe everything down with a bleach solution.

My problem is that since we don't know what he had picked up on his travels or in the shelter, what additional precautions should I take for my friends who have dogs? I was thinking about having a shallow pan of bleach solution by the door for people to disinfect their shoes before they go home, or is that overkill? How long should I wait until I can let a dog in my house and yard?

Thanks for any advice. I'm planning to ask at the vet today, but I'll probably be too distraught and forget.

Thanks in advance, Holly

Follow-Up Postings:

o
Need advice

For those of you who were so kind last time he had a crisis, here's a link to the old thread.

Here is a link that might be useful: Old thread

o
RE: Need advice on disinfection

i don't have any advice as far as sanitizing things but i do want to say how sorry i am for your loss. i lost my female corgi to cancer a few weeks ago and i know what a hard decision this is to make.

i went back and read all about cody in the thread you linked. he sounds like he was a wonderful family member.

((((hugs)))) to you in your sorrow.

o

I'm so sorry about Cody. I know you loved him and he knew it.

It sounds like you've done all you can about disinfecting the floor. I think everything should be okay for your guests with dogs. After all, we walk along streets and sidewalks where all sorts of "stuff" has been dropped and we pick it up on the soles of our shoes and come in the house, don't we?

OMG, reading what I've just written makes me think we should become a no-shoes household.

o

I think a mop down with chlorine bleach is sufficient. I wouldn't do anything more than that...

I tend to think along the lines of monablair, regarding people walk everywhere, everyday trampling lord only knows what around.

I think of my floor as a vast garden of microflora and microfauna.

o

Thanks everyone,

Guess you are right, seems like I kind of freaked out for a bit thinking about other dogs possibly getting sick and having to be put down.

Took a walk tonight taking the "lost dog" fliers down. Was so upset when I put them up I can't even remember where they all are. Who knows what I brought home on my shoes :)

Thank you for your kindness, and your advice.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here