Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cal_dreamer

Need advice on disinfection

cal_dreamer
14 years ago

My 15 year old dog recently got out of our backyard after some workers left the gate open. Our fault, we didn't double check before we let him out. He was picked up and taken to the pound about 3 miles away - amazing because he is mostly blind, mostly deaf and has really bad hips.

Sadly by the time we got him home he was very ill and exhausted. We've been debating about when to put him to sleep, and this is it. By the time some of you read this, he'll be gone.

He just had a big accident of foul smelling, watery bloody stool in our dining room. (No big deal to me, I'm a nurse and have seen worse.) The problem is that my daughter is throwing a surprise party for my husband saturday night.

I wiped the floor with sanicloths and let air dry. Then I sprayed lysol and let it air dry per directions. When I get home, I'll wipe everything down with a bleach solution.

My problem is that since we don't know what he had picked up on his travels or in the shelter, what additional precautions should I take for my friends who have dogs? I was thinking about having a shallow pan of bleach solution by the door for people to disinfect their shoes before they go home, or is that overkill? How long should I wait until I can let a dog in my house and yard?

Thanks for any advice. I'm planning to ask at the vet today, but I'll probably be too distraught and forget.

Thanks in advance, Holly

Comments (5)