Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andydna3

fish advice....

andydna3
13 years ago

I want to get a fish for my daughter, she is nine, also wouldn't mind having one for the aesthetic aspect.

I know Betas are cheap and easy. But I had one years ago and I guess it was sick because it refused to eat and died within a week. And at the stores, hard to tell which ones are healthy or not.

Also I know they have other types of fish at petstore. Pretty ones that are nice to look at. I don't want any that I need a whole setup with filter and exensive stuff. What types can you get to put in plain old fishbowl with some pretty rocks and fake trees and such?

The hardest part for me is making sure the temp is right before I put new fish in so they don't get shocked.

Ok, I know from above reading you are thinking I should stay away from the fishworld. But that is why I write here for help.

Thank you.

Comments (10)

• housefairy
    13 years ago

You can get some really pretty "fancy" goldfish that are fairly inexpensive and very hardy.

The reason people use filters are because fish need clean water. If you feed too much that mucks up the water plus you have to deal with fish poop. So if you don't filter you will have to change water. And water changes have to be gradual. One of the big things is the chlorine in the water. You'll need chemicals from the pet store to remove the chlorine, or let water set out for a couple days before you actually use it.

Take your daughter to the local library and check out some books on how to take care of fish. A good reading experience for her, plus she'll be more involved in how to take care of her new pets.

• debd18
    13 years ago

I have to disagree with housefairy about goldfish. I have a pond full of fancy goldfish and they grow much too large for a fishbowl. Additionally, goldfish put out a lot of waste and really need a filter. They are sociable fish who shouldn't be kept alone. I personally don't feel goldfish are even appropriate for an aquarium unless it's a huge one and are better off in ponds.

The betta is a good choice, but they need heated water and a filter as well. Many people don't give them these things and that's why they don't survive long. They will live for 2-3 years in a small aquarium.

You can buy a five gallon aguarium that includes a pump and filter for about fifty dollars that's perfect for a betta and add a heater for another $10. Bettas should be kept alone, so one would work out well for your daughter. I don't know of any fish that would thrive in a fishbowl.

• christine1950
    13 years ago

I agree with deb18, if you dont follow her advice the fish will only die and that will only break your daughters heart. I think betas are beautiful and your daughter can pick a red or blue one :>)

• pkguy
    13 years ago

I suggest buying an "all in one" little plexiglas aquariums from a place like PetSmart. These are the ones that have the light and the filter etc all built into the lid so you just fill it with water, add the decorations and then the fish when the water has had a chance to settle. There's lots of different shapes and sizes and they are not very expensive.

• mazer415
    13 years ago

My best friend had a goldfish in a bowl for 13 years....she had a small bubbler and the fish was quiet happy in there. That fish was amazing, not only did it live for a very long time, but it almost died from jumping out of the fish bowl one day....Get a good sized fish bowl and put it where it is not going to get any full sun or any hot heat from a heater register, it should be in a warm place where you dont have to worry about temps. Many fish can live fine without a heater in the tank as long as your house does not get too cold. My friend had her fish in the kitchen where it stayed around the mid 70's...as far as finding a good fish, go down to the pet store, if you have a store specializing in aquariums, go down and talk to them and let them know what you are looking for. As with many pets it can be hard on the animals when they are transported from one place to another, if done correctly it can be no biggie. Ask how long the fish has been at the store and if there is a guarantee on the animal and how long the guarantee is for...many pet stores will replace a fish that has died if it dies within a month of purchase. Good luck.

• rivkadr
    13 years ago

Hey, if you live in Southern California, you can have my fish and tank -- it was given to us as a Christmas present, and we couldn't say no to it (from my MIL; didn't want to make waves). We kind of expected the fish would die within a month or two, but the thing is still living...

• debd18
    13 years ago

Wouldn't it make more sense to get a fish that's comfortable in a smaller container than to force a larger fish to adapt? I love to watch my goldfish swimming together and playing in the pond's waterfall. Their lives would be very different in a bowl.

The problem with the tiny tanks is that a betta needs a heater and the temperature is very hard to control in tanks smaller than five gallons. I had a two gallon tank and the smallest heater would make it too hot in the summer, yet the water would be too cold without it because of our air-conditioning. The heaters work on a thermostat, but for some reason they don't do a very good job in the really small tanks.

A five gallon is a great size for the betta because they are very entertaining when they're happy and have some space. They'll swim through tunnels, hide in the plants, strut and show off, and blow big bubble nests.

Really, when compared to other pets it doesn't take much to keep a fish in optimal conditions, so why not do the best you can to make their homes comfortable?

• mamabear_on
    13 years ago

I will add my 2 cents worth here. I would get a betta, as Mazer stated if the room temp is warm....over 60 to 65 degrees then you do not need a heater thus saving some money. Also a small bowl is just fine for the betas. These fish are air breathers....meaning they do not need oxyginated water to survive....not that I would do that but just saying that these fish come to the surface of the water and breath air.

I have had my betta in my office for 2 yrs and have never had a problem and my kids have one each in their rooms and they are all well.

Just get them quality betta food

• Lily316
    13 years ago

I have a betta who is about 6 months old. This is my 4th and one lived about 2 or 3 years. The others were killed either by jumping or by a cat flipping it out. I have no heater, just a very large fish bowl and I change the water completely every week and wash the bowl. I used bottled water. They have to live alone and are very pretty and friendly.

• ms_minnamouse
    13 years ago

Get a proper set up from Freecycle if you don't want to pay for one but don't sentence a fish to a life in a fish bowl. That is inhumane and cruel, which is why fish bowls are illegal in other countries.