Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
3katz4me

Planning for your cats when you die

3katz4me
10 years ago

The older I get the more I become concerned that our cats may outlive us. I feel like I need to make some kind of specific plans for them, kind of like you do in a will for minor children. There is no one I know that would take them and/or who I'd want to take them. All I can think of is possibly making arrangements with a rescue foster care group. I'd happily fund all future care. Is this feasible? What else could you do?

Comments (9)

• sylviatexas1
    10 years ago

There are lots of organizations now that will take your pets 'for life' in return for funding.

Find one that's been in existence for a number of years, check their history, & make sure that your cats will be in a homey environment & not in cages.

• spedigrees z4VT
    10 years ago

My cat is now 20 yrs old. I am 64. Since all but one of my cats have lived into their 20s, if I get another cat, it will have to be an older feline, preferably 15 years or older.

The rescue organizations I have adopted pets from, as well as the breeder of my sheltie puppy, have a clause in their contracts requiring that the animals who have joined my family be returned to the places that adopted them to me upon my death. We need to make this info available to my and my husband's sisters in the near future, as they are our next of kin and will be entrusted with this task of dispersal in the future.

• 3katz4me
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sylvia, what kind of organizations are you referring to? Just wondering what I should be looking for.

• calliope
    10 years ago

My dear Mama, an animal lover who at times in her later life had multiple doggies and kitties, had one older cat (who survived the chinese gluten epidemic in a weakened state) and one diabetic dog, whom she loved survive her. I asked her many times to let me know what her wishes were as to providing them with a home should they survive her. She would usually name several friends or relatives who she knew were also pet softies, but there was more presumption on her part than any indication on their's that they would assume that duty. As it turned out, my daugher (who was a caregiver and companion to her) wanted to assume the care of her dear little doggie and I took her elderly cat. Nobody, however, thought much about providing funds for the dog's unique medical needs. I did manage, as executor to disperse some insurance money exempt from the estate to defray some of the expense for the dog, but I know my daughter had expenses she paid out of her own pocket. Please, consider if you have a friend or relative who will take an animal who is 'left behind' when you go, a reasonable amount of money to make sure they can provide for it as you would, if to do othewise would present a hardship for them or the animal.

• sylviatexas1
    10 years ago

Here's one link, not specific about organizations;
    I'll be back.

Here is a link that might be useful: how to plan for your pet's care after you're gone

• sylviatexas1
    10 years ago

Here's one link, not specific about organizations;
    I'll be back.

Here is a link that might be useful: how to plan for your pet's care after you're gone

• sylviatexas1
    10 years ago

Here's a place to start at least.

You might check with the attorney who drew your will, too.

Here is a link that might be useful: organizations

• sylviatexas1
    10 years ago

Here's a place to start at least.

You might check with the attorney who drew your will, too.

Here is a link that might be useful: organizations

• 3katz4me
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow - there's a wealth of info there. I will dig into it. I will talk to our attorney - we are in the process of reviewing/revising our will which is part of the reason I was thinking about this. I would like to do some research and have some ideas before I talk to the attorney though.