Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sarah_socal

Another "Is It Time" Question (sorry long)

sarah_socal
9 years ago

Hi all. As you might have guessed, I am afraid I am getting close to the point when I have to make a decision about our older cat. I firmly believe that one of my duties is to make the tough decision. But I am afraid my emotion is clouding my judgment and I need independent views. Here is the situation:

Our beloved kitty turned 19 in August. That in and of itself is amazing. He is also blind (diagnosed almost 2 years ago), has high blood pressure (diagnosed 1.5 years ago and treated with pills) and is in renal failure for the past 2.5 years (pretty stable in this regard).

1 year ago, he started a new behavior. He walks in circles. Always clockwise. It wasn't too bad at first, but just recently it has taken on a sort of frenetic feel; he just won't stop. He does it when we are there and when he is alone. Even when we talk to him it is really hard to get him to focus and come to us. He just circles. It seems to be a involuntary behavior.

And in the past couple of months he has started to pee outside his litter box from time to time. That is very unusual for him but is happening more often. He also seems not to be hearing or smelling as well as in the past.

Were it just the peeing, I would get him checked out but I feel like this is all part of bigger issues with him rather than an infection. I think he is old and confused and has some sort of underlying neurological problem that is progressing and causing the confusion.

When you can get him to focus on you, he is very sweet - purring, rubbing, etc. So he seems like himself then, but otherwise, circle circle circle. He is still eating pretty well and he does use his box most of the time. I think he just gets lost.

So there is the background. I always thought it would be quite clear when it is time - that he would stop eating, that he would lose mobility. But here I am wondering if he really has quality of life to justify keeping him for us. He purrs after all so clearly he must be happy (not really, just so easy to convince yourself).

I would be happy to take him to the vet for treatment but the reality is that even if they pinpoint the cause, what is there really to do? He is over 19, blind, HBP and renal failing. How many things is it reasonable to try to fix?

We plan to give it the weekend to see how he does but I would appreciate any words of wisdom.

Comments (5)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

I think you've already answered your question :-(

Our pets try so hard to please us, even when they are in the condition you describe. It is so easy to get swayed by the displays of affection and attention that even pets on death's door exhibit. You want to think that maybe everything's OK when subconsciously you know it probably is not. And sometimes it's very hard to actually the judge the quality of life they may have......afterall, they cannot communicate verbally how bad they may be feeling, what kind of pain they are in, or how confused or disturbed they might be. All we can go on is their actions and they do their best to put on a brave front for us.

Deciding when is the toughest decision a pet owner has to make. Been there, done that too many times and it doesn't get any easier. It is always best to do it before the animal is really suffering.

Take the weekend and spend some quality time with your kitty and lavish him with attention. Feed him his favorite treats and cuddle and love him. And know that you have been a great pet parent, otherwise he wouldn't have made it to this ripe old age, and that you gave him a great and long and loving life.

And then do what you know you need to do.

My thoughts are with you.

• sylviatexas1
    9 years ago

It seems you've worked something like a miracle, keeping him functioning for this long, but it really sounds like his enjoyment of life is over.

The only time I've heard of that circling habit or obsession was when a friend told me that her ancient Weimaraner (dog) did it;
    he would circle & circle, getting a little further away each time, until he circled himself into a corner, where he'd just stand with his nose towards the wall.

He had cognitive something-or-other, which is the canine version of dementia or Altzheimer's.

At this point, I think keeping him with you would prolong, not his life, but his death.

I'm sorry, & I'm holding both of you in my thoughts & in my heart.

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

Sarah, big hugs to you and your kitty. I agree with Sylvia - your love, care, and attention have given this cat extra years, but I think it's time to let go.

When we made that call for our old Lab, my biggest fear was that he would fall down and hurt himself while we were at work. He had terrible hips, had lost 35 pounds, and had to be carried up and down the stairs. We came home at lunchtime every day, so he wasn't alone more than a few hours at a time, but the idea of something happening to him while we were gone haunted me. I know he could have hung on for a few more weeks or months, but I would rather err on the side of caution than risk having my dear pup suffer for even a minute.

Does your vet make house calls? Lots of vets do, so the pet isn't stressed out by one last trip to the vet. My dogs love the vet, but I've never known a cat who does.

• sylviatexas1
    9 years ago

' my biggest fear was that he would fall down and hurt himself while we were at work.'

We all need to think hard about this very real possibility or likelihood.

The Weimaraner that I mentioned was 20 years old, & the vet had told his owner that it was time.

She'd had the dog through thick & thin & she just couldn't bear to face it.

& she thought she had the luxury of time to get used to the idea, something I guess everybody thinks.

When her dad fell, she had to make a fast trip out of town to help him.

A neighbor come in twice a day to check the dog, & there was a big doggie door for him to go outside.

The dog fell into the backyard pool & drowned.

His owner was devastated, but it did her beloved dog no good, & I don't think she'll ever get over it.

• sarah_socal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone. We are in a holding pattern for now.

He is doing better than he was but we are ready to take him in at the first sign of further decline.