Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kittenbites_gw

I am hating my Shih Tzu...

kittenbites
14 years ago

Ok...not quite that bad yet but good grief!

My Shih Tzu is driving me nuts and my family has just about had it.

Our dog is a 3 year old Shih Tzu male. We have had him since he was 6 weeks old.

From the start I have worked with him on his behavior but I guess I must have done everything wrong because he just hasn't gotten the message.

He poops and pees wherever he wants, he is sneaky and always seems to be trying to 'get back at' members of our family. I don't want to attribute human behavior to him but he is very specific about his targets.

I have read about what the problem is...he thinks he is top dog although honestly, I do not understand how he could possibly believe this since I consistently correct his behavior. I have controlled his entertainment and food, I have controlled everything so that he would know he only gets what he gets when I allow him to have it. He has been loved and played with. He has premium foods, mostly grain free, raw and home cooked but even his kibble is grain free and top line. He is regularly groomed and attended to. He has plenty of toys to play with. He has kids to play with. He goes for walks although he would probably like more.

I just don't know what to do with him.

Here are two examples of his behavior:

Yesterday, my daughters and I got up to my mom's for dinner. She lives right behind us so it isn't like we were gone for a long period, about 1.5-2 hours total.

We come home to candy spread all over the house that he got from the top of my husband's computer desk (about 6' up), a brand new box of tea ripped open and scattered AND a soaked pee pad (he has a litter box with pee pads)that he specifically picked out of the trash without spreading trash everywhere. He then smashed the soaked pee pad onto my daughter's blanket.

Another example:

The other day my daughters and I were sitting around crocheting various things and just having a good time. Our dog never even asked for attention, he was contentedly (we thought) sleeping on his back most of the time.

The next day, I find a ball of our yarn dragged into a part of the house we have banned him from and barred off (so I have no idea how he even got in there) and he POOPED on the ball of YARN!

Another example:

Usually our dog is never alone but since my mother and I got into a car accident back in April, we have been going to the chiropractor and other therapists regularly throughout the week.

I was concerned about Ziggy (our dog) being unhappy so I began taking him with us since he has always been a good car dog.

In the approximately 45 seconds that it took us to go in and ask our chiropractor if Ziggy could come into the session with us (which he was allowed), he POOPED in the car!

Now he isn't allowed to go in any of our cars because he also pooped in my husband's car.

He has pooped and peed in our bed.

He is sneaky, always waiting to pull his bathroom behavior when we can't catch him.

He waits for us to go to bed and then rampages in my husband's computer desk.

BTW, he does use his pee pads as well so it isn't that he doesn't know how to use the appropriate place.

There are a lot more examples of his bad behavior I could list but it all ends the same...with Ziggy crapping somewhere he absolutely shouldn't...or peeing.

I cannot fathom what he is trying to tell me and it is getting to the point that none of us even want to know anymore.

Any ideas?

Please understand before posting, we have been very consistent with him. I have read reams of information about these issues and how to handle them and nothing has worked.

The only thing I have not done is actual crate training and that is what is next if for no other reason than I cannot trust him to be in the house alone or otherwise unless directly supervised.

Thank you for your help in advance.

-Stephanie

Comments (112)

• Jon Darling
    6 years ago

Well your first mistake was getting a shih tzu. Their brains are the size of a grape. Bladders too honestly. My mother in law had four at one point! Worthless little ankle bitters, constantly peeing and pooping where ever they feel like it. We give them human attributes like "stubbornness" to explain their behavior but the reality is decades of breeding for small and cute has taken the already under developed brain of a dog and shrunken it down by at least half, maybe more. What did we expect to happen?

• Molley Carter
    6 years ago

We have a three year old male who was not hard to train! We have him crossed trained to pads and outside, too! I read this could confuse him but he was paper trained when we got him at 9 weeks. The pad training is wonderful when the weather is bad! He is also walked twice a day for around 2 miles total! The main thing is to be consistent and you have to be the Alpha dog! Good luck!

• khristen2
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

A friend gave me a Shih tzu/Yorkie mix - female - spayed, who is now 2 years old, weighs about 5 pounds. I have had her ever since she was 10 weeks old. Another friend gave me her thorough bred Shih Tzu also a female - not spayed, who was almost a year old when I got her, and barely weighs 3.5 pounds. (several vets have said she is too small to fix) At this point, I hate both of them. They constantly pee and poop where ever they please. I have tried puppy pads, crating, I always take them outside at least every hour or 1 1/2 hours, praise them and give them treats for being good girls and pottying outside. I am blessed to have a job where I work from my home, but I do have to go out on appointments, sometimes once a day, sometimes all day. If I am gone, I leave them in the mud room where their crates are as well as comfortable sleeping mats. The room is comfortable, warm in the winter, cool in the summer. They have food and water when I am out all day. I don't mind them using the tile floor, if they are there all day. I can clean that up quickly. (They actually do not potty when I am gone, so I know they can hold it). I have tried scolding them, and putting them in "time out" when I actually catch them using my house as their personal bathroom, tried getting down on their level and being the "mom dog" (I read somewhere that this works - NOT)

I have had all kinds of tests ran, blood work, full physical examinations, including x-rays and scans (they have become extremely expensive) by several veterinarians - NOTHING has been found wrong with either of them. I have tried child gates, tried being "the alpha female", tried keeping them on a very long leash while with me in my "office", tried keeping them around me and watching them, but they manage to sneak into the living room and pee and poop on my very expensive Persian rug. Other times, they "tag team" and one will pee in one room while the other pees in another room. These are not "seldom used rooms". These rooms are used all the time, so it is not a matter of going to a room where no one goes.

My house is beginning to smell of dog urine. I have used so much Urine Remover and top of the line urine deodorizers that My house should smell some what normal. I have had a dog trainer - who actually raises Shih Tzu's and Yorkies -, who said she had never had such difficult dogs to train, and gave my money back. My husband has left and moved to another home that we have, since he cant tolerate the dog's behavior and the smell, I cant tolerate it either. All of my carpets will have to be replaced and the hardwood floors are going to be impossible to sand down enough to remove the stains.

I have had dogs, cats, and many other kinds of critters all of my life, most have all been larger dogs, but were easy to train. I am a major animal lover, but this has been the most horrible experience ever. I have had a pet Opossum (who was badly injured when I found him), a pet Raccoon (also severely injured as a very small baby), squirrels, and at one time even a monkey (someone gave to me about 30 years ago). All of the wild critters were rehabbed, and released back to their natural habitat. I am located right next to a 100 acre walking trail with deep woods and several small creeks.

None of those animals, even the wild ones were this much trouble. I have had it, and am totally over these dogs and am ready to get rid of them. They are impossible to train. They are lovable, but I am becoming extremely resentful of both of them and want them out of my house. My children, both older teenagers, have moved in with their dad because they are fed up with these dogs peeing and pooping in their rooms. I will not resort to putting them down. I have tried giving them to friends who I know would love them and take good care of them, but they have seen how these dogs are, and want no part of them.

The full blood Shih Tzu will come in, after being outside for almost an hour, will pee outside, but come in, squat right in front of me, and run like hell to hide where I cant get her. I know she is doing it out of spite. ( yes I have been told that dogs are not capable of thinking and being spiteful - thats crap! After coming in after pottying, she will literally jump on my lap, get down, sit down right beside me and pee - then run, She is extremely intelligent, both are very intelligent pups) She hates to go out, will sit down, toss her head like a petulant teenage girl, like "talk to the paw", but eventually she will pee. But she ALWAYS comes back in and pees and poops in the house - then runs and hides. I have crated her, that makes her worse. (she will pee on the couch or chair or my bed) I have had a very calm voice, praised both of them for peeing and doing their business outside, and give them treats, NOTHING works. They seriously act like two out of control 2 year olds.

I am at my wits end. HELP!

• Debbie Morgan
    5 years ago

I'm having thoughts of just checking into a hotel, and leaving my "Birthday gift" 6 week old Shihtzu...with my Husband..the gifter! I'm losing my mind with my shihtzu. She is a bitter. My arms look like hamburger. Totally not able to wear short sleeves in 100 degree weather. Anyone know where I can sell her or where to find d a trainer with Kevlar or chain mail outerwear?

• khristen2
    5 years ago

I have found that little Shihtzu puppies like to chew mostly due to their underbite. Does your baby have soft toys to chew on? She/He is teething and this will last for about 2 - 3 months - just like a baby. A friend of mine actually bought a paci for her pup, and it worked great. Also, correct her when she is bitting you - gently tap the top of her muzzle and a strong NO! will usually help. She is establishing her boundaries and also this is a sign of trust. She is bonding with you and trusts you, but, like babies, they dont have an understanding that bitting skin hurts. Both of mine have finally settled down and I am not having the messes in the house as much. I, like you, was at my wits end. I have also found that Shihtzus are very bad about throwing up a lot. I talked to my vet and was told that since their stomach is only about the size of their paw, they pass food through very quickly, then actually throw up bile because the tummy is empty. I have been making sure that mine always have some type of food available and before bedtime, actually give a small portion of Tums Smoothies - which keeps the stomach acid and bile at bay. Preventing acid reflux is actually what it does. Please feel free to correspond as you want. It always helps to have someone to talk to.

• Cindy Sohan
    5 years ago
    I have a four year old Shih tzu, got him when he was 2 months old. Never had any issues. Guess I was lucky, he was house trained in less than a month. It could also be that yours is a little jealous of the girls.
  • khristen2
    5 years ago

From threads that I have read, it seems that the male puppies are easier to train than the females. The females tend to "rule the roost" and are very independent. As silly as it sounds, my vet told me that sometimes the dogs do not see their "parents" as being alpha, so he actually got in her face and let out a low growl, and she backed up and laid down. So, I have been trying that when I see one of them about to go in the house - after just coming in from outside, and it works. They both see me as alpha female now. Things are much better. My family thinks I'm ready for a longed sleeved white coat.

• HU-559880530
    5 years ago

We just adopted a 3year old shih Tzu we put him in the crate when we leave max 2 hours when we go out. He is good dog we tell him to go to the crate bec we are going out he will go straight inside but starts growling if we closes his crate and wont stop growling not until we leave the room.We have a routine for him on weekdays and diff on weekends. Just today we(my shih tzu and I) were sitting in the front porch this afternoon he started acting weird he started playing with a rock so thats just fine with me but when its about to go in he doesnt want i have to hide the rock so he went in but he stayed behind the door with a sad face. He forgot the words- come eat play dance drink sit treat and etc. So I put him in the crate bec I have to pick up my daughter when we came back he was fine and following all the commands and even plays with us again. Anybody knows whats with shih tzu and a rock?

• Frank Car
    5 years ago

HU-559880530 He's a SZ and they love toys and play things, he was upset since you took his new toy away.

• Sue Riffle
    5 years ago

I'm pretty wise when it comes to training dogs, I too own a 3 year old Tzu. All the comments that have ben given you, about their dogs, is not helping you with your problem. I think you have done everything a person can do, so I would suggest tough love, You HAVE to be the Alpha...get a crate, be firm, put him in, with a treat, THEN go run errands. When you come back, open his crate, praise him and another treat. You don't want to make the crate a punishment, but I think , in time, he will be happy that he's pleasing you. GOOD LUCK, and be consistent

• HU-409123124
    4 years ago

Oh my goodness. I am not really a dog lover. Last July 2018 in the South of France I badly broke my right ankle. Hospital St Raphael for a few days then I decided to return to the UK. Hospital, operations,infections,plastic surgery- boring but a long time recovery. End of February 2019 my daughter suggested we re-home her bosses six month old male Shih tzu. I'm not walking, whatever was i thinking? He was being re-homed due to fighting with his Shih tzu brother.

I think due to pain killers and not thinking straight I agreed, well he can be re-homed again if necessary I probably thought. One thing the previous owners had said was not to change his name. "Peanut" Actually the name suits him.

Obviously inheriting /re-homing a dog comes with responsibilities. They suddenly enter into a new environment and family - we have guinea pigs and six adults and visitors daily.A busy household.

This little dog has settled into our home unbelievably well. Ok a few accidents in the first week but he really is still a puppy. He really is a delight. I am beginning to walk-not far but enough for him,no pulling;coffee shop and back! No accidents in the house at all. No destructive behaviour,if he is desperate to go out will tap or "talk" just to let us know.If guinea pigs being cuddled he will come sniff and lick.

Our vet has suggested that we put him forward to be a therapy dog. Wow a re-homed dog coming into a home with people with no previous dog experience. A wonderful story for us and Peanut- although my daughter has re-named him 'Peanutingham'! He answers to both!

• anna_bow
    4 years ago

I have a nine month old shih tzu and have had no problems with him really. He came into our family at 8 weeks old, already crate trained and grooming trained and partially toilet trained. He has not had an accident in the house in months. What I have learned is that I needed to take him out every two hours while he was young. I gave him praise and a reward for every pee and poo. I would also say "Yes pee pee. Good boy." Now if I say "pee pee" he knows what to do so it is quick when it needs to be - like last thing at night. He goes into his crate at night only, It is covered - like a den and he really likes it. The best investment was a puppy pen. He goes in that when I have to go out - keeps him out of mischief. I think the most important thing I have learned is to go to a really good obedience class. I learned a lot about how the dog thinks and how to bring out the best in him. I also learned that the word "No" is not a command. One is not telling them WHAT to do. So instead of "no" I give him a command. So say for instance he gets into the cat food. He knows the words "Leave it". I say it really firmly and when he leaves it, he gets a treat. But I also have a gate in the laundry room for the cat! It has been a real learning curve for me, but the basic obedience class was so helpful and now we are going to the intermediate class. It has made such a difference, These are quite strong minded dogs for all their cuteness and sociability, and one has to find one's inner "Dog trainer". I am working on that. I strongly suggest taking your dog to a trainer. Forget the you tube videos.

• Kimberely Westpfall
    4 years ago

I've had 12 over the past 10 years ( and yes, there's been a little inbreeding). I think dog trainers are a waste of money. I've used shock collars since I heard Seazer the dog whisperer-the most famous trainer- used them. And he was RIGHT- and so is Sue!: tough love is real love. Its the the only way to keep our Shih tzus obedient and loving. Seazer said: A dog is a herd animal and wants to be part of your family's pecking order. I combine just a itty bit of quick pain with a LOT more love and affection (they sleep w/ me) that comes naturally and sincerely from a happy mistress. Remember a dog knows if someone is insincere or frustrated. People marval at how good my little sweetums are! And they're more entertaining too!

• Ninapearl
    4 years ago

@ Kimberely Westpfall sorry but i vehemently disagree. the methods used by cesar millan are antiquated and downright cruel. look at ian dunbar and patricia mcconnell if you want to see what a GOOD trainer is.

i don't care what breed you have, inflicting pain and/or rough handling does not get you anywhere. period!! i've had many, many dogs during my adult life and have been rescuing great danes for 11+ years now. never once have i ever had to use anything but positive reinforcement training with a single one of them.

• Debbie Downer
    4 years ago

Im hating this thread and wish it would go away, and stay gone. Anyone hating their animal might want to think about finding it a new home.

• Pamela Kriitzmire
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I AM AMAZED AND IN SHOCK READING SOME OF THESES COMMENTS... And are you kidding me to Shock collar a shitzu... I guess I was very Blessed to have had my girls,,, I have had 4 shitzu's which lived to 14 - 12 - 11 - 7 years old and now a 2 month old that I am training for my daughter... They were the sweetest most well behaved pet I ever or could ever have... They went on vacations with us, sleep with us, hunting camp on weekends and I just don't get it... All were Female and maybe that is the difference ?? I remember being so upset with myself that I was crying because we were sooo late coming in from a fishing trip.. We left a 5 am and was suppose to be back at 3:30 but ended up almost 9 pm before I was back home... I was so upset because I knew my Shasta baby would hold her urge to go and that upset me as I would have rather her went in my house than hold it that long... She of course held it. My shitzu's were crate trained and used the crate for 1 year then free room all of the time.. NO and I mean NO accidents unless was really sick... I leave something on usually a TV or radio or even just a loud fan... I don't like it quite so figure they wouldn't either... They were my best friends!!! Also the girls named Tapanga, Asia & Shasta Harley were all free to eat whenever they wanted and they trained themselves to eat and to adjust their potty time to our schedules.... I will never have any other pet except a female Shitzu... This is Harley and she is is my now 7 year old... Never a better friend than this sweet sweet girl!!!

• HU-24597561
    3 years ago

Oh my...your 4 female shihtzus sound just like my 4.5 year old female shihtzu. Identical behaviour. She holds her pee for as long as possible and loves her crate. She is the sweetest most intelligent and sociable dog!

The only problem...she is not spayed and stays on heat for a long time. While she is on heat she has accidents regularly. Even after her walks. She will actually wait to come inside to do her business.

Can anybody help?

• anna_bow
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I fully disagree with shock collars or inflicting any pain. My shih tzu is beautifully trained and behaved, thanks to wonderful group training classes in town. However, training takes time and patience, It cannot be done really through youtube videos as each dog is different. It is not a one size fits all. You need to find your shih tzu trainers voice!! So don't be afraid to spend some money on proper training that is tailored to your dog. If you then follow the instructions really consistently, it will bear fruit I promise. The thing is the training is for us really - teaching us how to understand our dog and how to be patient with them It helped me to really connect with my dog and he is very keyed into me now, especially when we are out for walks.

• Victor Lange
    3 years ago

Why do my 4 males keep beating up the 1 female? Their all Shi Tzus.

• anna_bow
    3 years ago

I have heard of people using shock collars, but I disagree with them . My pup is 22 months old now. I have worked hard on training with him. It takes patience, consistence and practice. We went to etiquette training sessions. The first series were on basic training - recall, heel, sit, leave it, and so on - really about you and your dog, and we did fine. Aced the course, The second series was where it got really interesting for me. This was about my dog's behaviour around other humans, Learning now to train them not to jump up, excessive barking, stealing food and so on. Because of Covid it has been online, but with a trainer. I have learned so much, There has been absolutely no need for a shock collar. I have heard of people using them on certain breeds that are runners and find recall very difficult, but that is all.

• K R
    3 years ago

Wow I was not expecting to see this thread pop up. It’s so old! I love my 10 y/o shih tzu, she’s the absolute sweetest and most loving girl ever. She still struggles with peeing and pooping where she wants, but that’s the breed, they’re very stubborn and she gets mad when I leave the house and sometimes will poop when I’m gone. It’s not a big deal really. I could never ever EVER imagine using a shock collar on her 😱

• anna_bow
    3 years ago

This is a really helpful website for shih tzu owners http://www.allshihtzu.com

• James Blair
    3 years ago

First off, your daughter needs some serious mental help! For anyone willing to put down a dog because they don't know how to take care of them instead of giving them a chance of life and a good home YOU ARE A TERRIBLE HUMAN. Second, WHY would someone use a shock collar on any dog especially a small dog like a shih tzu. Would you put a shock collar on a child? And the answer is no. I have an amazing 8 year old shih tzu that has been my saving grace. I am a 45 year old man and when she was 2 years old I went down with heart failure this little girl stayed by my side and wouldn't leave me hardly at all. For anyone out there, if you can't take a dog into your whole life then you absolutely 💯 do not need to have one because they depend on you more than you depend on them and if you are going to get a shih tzu know about there traits first before you get them and make them think they have a family and then throw them out like trash. For my final statement it's not ok at all to leave a dog in the car for a long period of time and I am not talking about running into the store for let's say 5 minutes unless it is real hot outside then at that point use your air-conditioning.

• Debbie Downer
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Im hating that yall are hating your sh i t zu How do I get rid of this annoying thread notifying me every two seconds - ?? Ive tried removing my posts.

• Kenna Salazar
    3 years ago

I got a 3 year old shish tzu and I think he was abused. Not sure

He is the most loving sweet little thing. We are older my husband is 84 and I'm 70 we live in an appt. With a patio. He will pee in the morning on the patio but will not pee or potty out there any other time

We walk him when the weather is good

How can I make him use the patio all the time in the winter

My husband has fallen once in the snow. If anyone can help me

• anna_bow
    3 years ago

Aww how sweet that you took him in when he needed a forever home, My shih tzu wont go in my little garden either. I think he thinks it is part of his home. It's hard to say. I would call a good local trainer, even if it requires a payment. They will be able to help you find an answer I am sure. I have turned to trainers when needed and it has been really helpful.

• Mey Chua
    3 years ago

Hi all... ive got a small little Coton de tulear x Westie male dog, brought him into my life since he was 8 weeks old. He is well trained by his registered breeder. So never really have issues with him pottying... he always go to my back yard to pee and poo. Also never need to crate him when im out. I gave him Kong n lots of other toys when I'm outside... praise him and give him treat when i come home... no accidents or any mess. Always bring him out for walks in the morning... he pees at every tree... brings him to the park which he can off leash... he loves it... i guess all shih tzu will be the same too... ample of exercise, treat them whenever he or she made the effort to go out and pee/poo... give them ample of toys.... one last thing, my dog has a toy room for himself ... also i bought a huge dog canal with private dog deck which i put in my back yard... he loves it and associate it as his toy house. Im a firm believer of no crate or shock collars for dogs. Yes, male dogs are sometimes easier to train as they love pleasing you. Female dogs can be abit harder to train as they can have moods... but they are trainable with time! All the best! :)

• Stax
    2 years ago

Yikes!

• K R
    2 years ago

New HU gotta be a spammer 🙄 geez get a life. When I posted my comment last year I didn’t know my girl had cancer, and she passed in December. I’ve been so sad without her. We are getting a new shih tzu pup in a few weeks, I’m finally ready after over 10 months.

• Ninapearl
    2 years ago

i flagged/reported that stupid idiot. i don't see the post here, do you guys still see it?

• Stax
    2 years ago

It's still there. They remove it from your view. Log out and then come to this thread again and you'll likely see it. Log back in and it'll be back.

• Marceline Gray
    2 years ago

hope you dont get rid of your dog. you can do it with more patience required

• Ninapearl
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

So for you, particulary Nina, get a grip on life, get your own life, and think that there are sometimes not solutions to problems.

excuse me?? i've gone back through this entire thread and my only 2 comments were #1-regarding shock collars and #2-a spam post saying to "rub the dog's nose in it" and spank him. #2 is the post i reported (eta, the "idiot" i was referring to).

maybe it's YOU who needs to get a grip?

• Bridget H
    2 years ago

Stick their nose where it don’t belong? Yet you post it on this board ! 🤔🤔🤔🤔

• Debbie Downer
    2 years ago

"Out of touch with reality" is coming on an anonymous public internet forum asking for advice, and expecting that there wont be a wide range of responses - some of it useful, but a lot of it very much NOT. You post your business on an anonymous internet forum, and there WILL BE noses stuck in it. It is what it is.

Sounds like above poster rehomed their dog and it had a happy ending. That's a very responsible thing to do - don't see anyone complaining about that.

• Connie Grim
    2 years ago

Maybe crate train him?I have a boy shihtzu he barked allnight in bathroom do we got a crate he stopped barking! He 9 months he pees n poop outside! Somedays he was picky about the weather would poop inside! But hes doing real good! He still tries jumping up with his mouth open attacking my shoelaces just cant get him to stop that! Tries to ride my arm sometimes tho !

• HU-586044269
    2 years ago

pls don't give up on him

• Nancy Dayton
    2 years ago

You should not have a dog. I have owned for shih tzus and I have never heard anybody in my shih Tzu family that's all over this world speak of their shih Tzu like you do give the dog to a good home I believe you said you hate your s*** too there's a lot of people out there that would treat your dog with love and kindness instead of smacking him in the nose you're a terrible person I don't know how you can live with yourself there's a law against people like you that mistreat their animals. The dog is pooping and peeing in the house because he's not getting any lover attention you should not own a dog! Or a bird or a rat nothing

• MARK SLOAN
    2 years ago

Part of the problem is that he is allowed to pee inside the home. You should never allow a dog after training to pee on pee pads inside the home. He can still smell the pee when you clean it. Make him go outside to do his toileting, Never allow him to pee or poo inside your home, not on pads not on paper.

• rufflesandcream
    2 years ago

I found this thread by Googling "I hate my Shih Tzu ". I am in the same boat. I had sweetest smartest Toy Poodle for 16 years whom I loved. Two years after his passing decided to try a Shih Tzu. I hate this incredible difficult, incredible stupid little dog! She is not a companion, she is an impossible to house train, difficult, winning, demanding, growling, feet stomping when she is mad 4 legged brat! 4 months of headaches and loss sleep dealing with a now 8 month old 4 legged garbage of a dog 🐕. Oh and did I mention picky eater and poop 💩 eater!!! Furniture chewer, eye glasses destroyer... the list could go on and on!

Geez!

• anna_bow
    2 years ago

Then arrange for her to be rehomed. Clearly you two are not a match.

• Ninapearl
    2 years ago

she is an impossible to house train, difficult, winning, demanding, growling, feet stomping when she is mad 4 legged brat! 4 months of headaches and loss sleep dealing with a now 8 month old 4 legged garbage of a dog 🐕. Oh and did I mention picky eater and poop 💩 eater!!! Furniture chewer, eye glasses destroyer... the list could go on and on!

the list goes on because you obviously haven't put any effort into training. find another home for her or turn her over to a rescue and go buy yourself a stuffed animal.

• Kevin Lawrence
    2 years ago

Sounds like you should've taught him that outside is where he should take care of his bathroom or potty needs. It sounds as if he associates pooping inside just as you taught him to use the pee pads inside.

• K R
    2 years ago

I think Ruffles meant for their post to be sarcastic…because nobody could hate on that sweet little fluff muffin if they tried lol

• K R
    2 years ago

Here’s my little monster. She is the light of my life!

• Patti Chicago Zone 5b/6a
    2 years ago

rufflesandcream - I really hope you found your dog a new home. Please do not hate this little dog. New dogs take a lot of patience and you may not have them for a new pet. It is not easy to train a puppy just like when you have a baby it is us to the parent to teach them. If you need help rehoming the dog please tell us your area and many people will chime in. There are many places that will rehome the poor thing. You obviously do not need a dog in your life now!!!

• Mey Chua
    2 years ago

Hi all... I recently got a new puppy, shes a maltese x shihtzu... Omg I must say shes a real angel! She listens to me all the time and never have any accident at home.... very affectionate, very friendly to people and other dogs too.... she follows me and my 4 year older dog around and sleeps next to me while I'm busy working. Basically shes just so lovely and sweet... she knows how to interact with my older dog too and he accepted her from day 1.... I'm so blessed to have 2 most beautiful and adorable dogs... they are the love of my life! 🐶🐶🐾🐾

• Max Velin
    2 years ago

Many owners who can't handle a pet give them to certain organizations where they will be useful. No, you are not abandoning the dog, you are giving it a chance to find a better life. Each pet can be registered in the Online Database ESA registration and given all the necessary documents. Your pet will be in the database and can be considered and made useful, for example, for emotional support for the handicapped. Think about it.

• jac le
    last year
    last modified: last year

I'm sorry to hear that your dog is pooping in your house, but there's no reason to get rid of it. All dogs have an occasional accident, and it's not the dog's fault. There are a few things you can do to help your dog learn that it should only poop outside. 1. Take your dog out more often. If you only take your dog out once a day, it may not have enough time to relieve itself. Try taking your dog out more often, especially after it eats or drinks. 2. Reward your dog for going outside. When your dog goes to the bathroom outside, give it a treat or some praise. This will help it learn that it's doing the right thing. 3. Clean up accidents immediately. If your dog has an accident in the house, clean it up right away. You don't want your dog to think that it's okay to poop inside. 4. Take your dog to the vet. If your dog is having accidents more often than usual, there may be a medical reason. Take your dog to the vet to rule out any health problems.

here are some guidelines i found,

https://petdoggo.com/how-long-does-it-take-to-potty-train-a-dog/

https://petdoggo.com/why-is-my-dog-regressing-in-training/

https://petdoggo.com/lima-dog-training-ideal-method-to-behaviour-modification-and-training/

• khristen2
    last year

This post was left several years ago. The situation has been taken care of. I still have the pup, she is very sweet and loveable. She still thinks the house is her personal bathroom, but I put a diaper on her - per reommendation of 3 vets who could not find a reason for her using the house other than her bladder and abdomen are so small, she simply cant hold it. All 3 vets stated that she only weighs 4 pounds, and is just over 6 in tall. All 3 vets stated that when breeding a regular size dog down to as "small as possible" for designer dogs, there are many possible health problems as their ograns are so small. All 3 vets said that house training can be very difficult for a very small dog who's bladder is the size of a large peanut. I was told that her stomach is the size of her paw, which is very tiny. Otherwise, she did check out to be OK. I do not take her around other dogs, as shih tzu's are prone to respritory distress due to their very short air ways and noses. I do take her outside when it is warm, but only around the house - so she is very well taken care of.

This dog was given to me because the previous owner/s could not deal with with her inability to retain urine or waste matter for more than a few minutes and often time, they dont realize they need to to until its too late. Their answer to the problem was- put a diaper on her. That has worked beautifully. I use size Newborn for her. I take it off, of course, when she I am outside with her which allows her to do her thing outside and she is happy running around or just laying on the patio getting a"suntan".