Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dwmc_gw

Teeth cleaning in older cats ...

dwmc
14 years ago

He is 14. It wouldn't be his 1st cleaning but that day is SO stressful for him and me. Vet says if his blood work comes back good as before we can proceed. Any comments?

Comments (8)

• carmen_grower_2007
    14 years ago

Absolute cat abuse. Sorry, but that is my opinion. Why not just let him enjoy the rest of his life? Frankly, I wouldn't take ANY pet to have teeth cleaned. It is done naturally in nature and just plain isn't nice to do it artificially.

• laurief_gw
    14 years ago

I must admit that I have been very lax in providing routine dental cleanings for my animals. HOWEVER, several of my cats have developed serious tooth infections and required extensive dental procedures including multiple tooth extractions to return their mouths to pain-free functionality. They were in such intense pain before their dental procedures that to sit back and do nothing was not an option. One of them was 18+ yrs old, hyperT and CRF at the time of the dental procedure and extractions, and he came through it just fine and is still going strong two years later. The other was 15 and hyperT, and she also came through the procedure fine and is doing well now.

Untreated dental infections can cause serious and permanent damage to the heart and kidneys, so if your cat's teeth are in bad shape, dental cleaning is important for his overall health. There are precautions that can and should be taken when performing dental procedures on elderly cats. You can find them at the link below.

Laurie

Here is a link that might be useful: precautions for dental procedures in elderly cats

• dwmc
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Think I'm gonna proceed with the cleaning. I know it's for his best (CRF). It's just never a day I look forward too. Thankfully it's only every 1+ years in between cleanings.

• quasifish
    14 years ago

Like everything else, I look at it as a risk/benefit analysis. Some cats have very bad mouths and probably benefit from occasional cleanings. Some cats have mouths that stay very clean and with them, the risks just wouldn't be worth it to me.

I had the same situation as Laurie with a CRF & hyper-t cat. Because of the risks, and that she was eating enough to be gaining weight, I kept putting it off. A year ago it came to a point that we felt the benefits outweighed the risks to her. She had a very rough week after the procedure and I'm glad we didn't take it lightly. Her health does seem to be generally better now that she lost all those infected teeth, but surprisingly, she does not eat better.

If your cat is one with a dirty mouth, and you feel that your vet is leading you in the right direction, then by all means it's a good thing to do.

• bonebloodyidle
    14 years ago

When my cat was in for his annual check-up the vet noticed a build-up of deposits on his gums that she said could be down to kidney problems. As my cat is elderley this is possible. He was taken in for tests and his kidney results were normal for a cat of that age. His teeth and gums were cleaned and he is now on a dry diet and gums / kidney function will be reviewed next year.

• olyagrove
    14 years ago

Absolute cat abuse.
    Clearly, people who choose to do the cleaning have the best interest of their cat in mind, willing to spend money and are doing so because the procedure was suggested by a vet.

I remember you being all upset about people suggesting you should spay a pregnant teenage cat. People choose to take care of their animals in different ways...calling it "abuse" is uncalled for

• Meghane
    14 years ago

Leaving a cat to suffer with rotten teeth is abuse, not the other way around.

I wouldn't hesitate to get my pets' teeth cleaned at any age as long as PE and bloodwork were normal. Old age is not a disease. Most of the time, even diseased pets do well under anesthesia IF you know what drugs to avoid and are monitoring and maintaining the patient correctly. I've certainly cleaned the teeth in much older cats, many of which were not 100% healthy, without any problems. And of course, your vet will provide excellent pain management.

• dwmc
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Might be making a move w/ kitty and saw these 3 products at Petsmart:
    "Calmdown"
    "At Ease" ... both liquids/sprays
    "Good Behavior" Collar
    Might be better than a pill, as he has CRF.
    Anyone familiar out there?