Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Meghane, could you provide a link?

Posted by laurief (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 31, 09 at 13:10

Meg,

I remember a year or two ago you referenced a study that concluded that every heat cycle experienced by an intact female increases the chances of that animal contracting mammary cancer later in life. At least that's what I *think* I remember. If available (and if my memory hasn't completely distorted this), would you please provide a link to that study or provide the source of the study? It's something I'd like to have handy to pass along to folks who are waivering on the "should I, shouldn't I have my animal spayed" debate.

Thanks,

Laurie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Meghane, could you provide a link?

http://www.caninecancer.com/mammary.html
You can use any search engine to find more information, the web is loaded with links regarding this subject

o

Actually I remember it from my class and I did have a link at one time but have since lost it. The stats are forever engraved in my brain though, since we were tested on them:

Spay before first heat cycle gets you less than 0.1% of breast cancer later in life.
Spay after first heat cycle, risk goes to 12%.
Spay after second heat cycle, risk goes to 25%.

This has only been figured in dogs as far as I know. But the short story is spaying after 2nd heat cycle increases risk of breast cancer over 250 times vs spaying before first heat cycle.

o

Daing, those are some nasty odds.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here