Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luvdogs_gw

cerebral contusion?

luvdogs
9 years ago

i have a pound dog purebred Shar Pei. We adopted him from the major shelter here in Phoenix a few years ago as an adult.

A month ago he fought with my American Bulldog. He had large wounds on face and neck. Those were attended to.

But he has stopped eating and is skeletal though his spirit remains intact and he acts normal other than being weak (anemic I can tell). We are taking him to the general vet tomorrow.

We are sure this is a brain injury. But can we keep him nourished until it heals? Anyone with experience with this? it's odd, I know. How can we keep him from starving to death? I know they have those pastes to give dogs and I will get some of that. Anyone else know anything?

thanks

Comments (10)

• luvdogs
    Original Author
    9 years ago

op here. He seems to have lost his sense of taste and smell. It actually was more like 3 weeks ago - not a month.

• luvdogs
    Original Author
    9 years ago

got some puppy milk replacer. will use that today and see what vet says tomorrow. keeping my fingers crossed.

• annzgw
    9 years ago

The symptoms aren't necessarily a brain injury. He could have a systemic infection from the bites, and depending on how long ago he stopped eating, I'm not sure you're safe to wait until tomorrow to get him to a vet.
    If he has stopped eating I don't think anything you offer will be accepted...... sounds like he needs IV support.

• luvdogs
    Original Author
    9 years ago

yeh, I've been really thinking about this - it could be a HEAD injury or nasal blockage, not a BRAIN injury.

Don't think it's systemic infection because he would be DOWN and VERY obviously sick with that. But of course, I have been wrong before once in my life. We gave lots of antibiotics when it happened....but maybe a localized abscess in his mouth or nose that systemic antis won't fix.??

Anyway, we'll plan on head rads tomorrow.

You're right - he's gotten to the point where he will eat NOTHING. So', I've been pushing the milk replacer down with a large syringe. He actually seems to enjoy it - it's probably sweet and smooth going down.

My dh mentioned IV support too. Milk replacer is quite expensive - jeez.

I'll post about what happens tomorrow. thanks.

• queen_gardener
    9 years ago

good luck!

• luvdogs
    Original Author
    9 years ago

organ failure. vet suggested that the condition was underlying and the trauma with the body working so hard really "kicked it into gear"

pts - had him for five years and pound said he was 2 but he came in as a stray so maybe he was older. Shar Peis don't live long anyway I've noticed. Not a genetically hardy breed.
    Still love them though

• SaltiDawg
    9 years ago

I've had some trouble following this thread - is there treatment in progress? Or is the poor dog beyond help?

I'm sure you are doing the right thing for your dog.

• socks
    9 years ago

So what happened, luvdogs?

• luvdogs
    Original Author
    9 years ago

oh, my post wasn't clear I guess.

he had organ failure and we pts. my husband got the details so not sure what organ - figure renal.

• socks
    9 years ago

So sorry, didn't realize what pts was and sadly I do now! So very, very sorry you had to lose the dear one. May the good memories comfort you and your DH.