Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
More flea help please

Posted by gillylily (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 30, 10 at 12:12

I wrote earlier last week about my dog having fleas and thanks to you for your responses.

We are getting our house fumigated on Thursday by an earth friendly/green company. My lab is due for her frontline does on Thursday as well, but I am still finding a flea here and there on her. My question is should I give her a flea bath on Tuesday (not a dip, just a bath) and then give her the frontline on thursday or just do the frontline? We need to stay out of the house either way but I want to make sure we are done with them after this week-It's not cheap for this service but so worth it! (at least to me).

Thanks in advance for your help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: More flea help please

I would go ahead and dose her without a bath so that you can take advantage of the skin oils. As long as you have fleas in the house you're going to find them on her and as long as the Frontline is in her system it will take care of them.
Bathing doesn't always remove fleas since they're pretty adapt at hiding in every crevice they can find on a dog!

o

Also I wouldn't double up on flea medications as it can place too much of a burden on the liver. I'd stick with the frontline as well. If you use it regularly on all your pets, fleas should not be a problem. You'll occasionally see one of the little buggers, but when they bite a frontline-treated animal the medication in the frontline (fipronil) paralyzes them and they starve to death.

o

I would not use Frontline. It has not be as effective as in the past. Maybe something changed when it went over the counter? I have heard many people complain. I switched to Vectra 3D...prescription from the vet

Of course you will have to treat the environment inside and outside of the house or nothing will work.

Good Luck

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here