Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michalyn_gw

Cats suddenly peeing outside litter box sometimes- LONG!

Michalyn
9 years ago

Hi- thanks for reading! We have two sister tortie cats that's we've had since they were two months old, and are now 3 yo. Since day one, they've only ever used the litter box- except for two occasions- both related to them not having access to the litter box. They even made it through a 2500 mile cross country road trip when we moved 18 months ago without a hitch, then lived for three months in a strange house with other cats and dogs and strange people, then the move into our new home. They were kept away from the dogs and other cats, but you could tell they were aware of them and totally freaked out- still, no accidents.

Two months ago we got a puppy. Of course they weren't happy about it and at first stayed downstairs (puppy was only upstairs at first)- the puppy is actually better with them than we expected- she approaches them and waits to see what their reaction is, and then when they start hissing hysterically, she leaves them alone- though, lately, she has been chasing the one that is dumb enough to run (Taz) for short bit- the other cat (Ami) is smart and just holds her ground and hisses if the puppy gets too close- she'll even approach the puppy to check her out and try to steal her food.

About 3 weeks after we got the dog, my husband bought the new Tidy Cats litter box system- which sounded like a great concept. We followed the directions and within a week they were using just that and the old, all-natural clay based litter they used to use in their covered litter box was gone.

Then it started- I walked into the utility room, where their litter box is, and found Ami (the one who seems to not mind the dog as long as dog doesn't come too close) peeing on some laundry in front of washer. I checked the litter box, 5 feet away, and there wasn't any feces (with the Breeze system the poo sits on top of the pellets and the pee filters down through the pellets, through a grate and into a tray under the box which has an absorbent pad- like a diaper or puppy training pad that collects all the urine), but the pad was near full- not completely full, but full enough that I thought that maybe the smell was too strong for her and that is what made her pee elsewhere. So we changed the pad more often- they still used the box, that was plenty obvious, and never pooed outside it- I just sometimes found that one of them had peed on some clothes again that were in the utility room. So we decided to do away with the old litter box system and go back to the old one that had worked fine.

Its been a couple weeks now, and we're still having issues. Haven't seen anymore in the utility room- but a blanket in my husband's office was covered in it (don't know who did this), and I guess Taz (who runs from dog) peed on my pc keyboard right in front of one of the kids.

So at first we thought it was the change in litter box, but now we're wondering if its stress from the dog- or maybe a combo of both? The one cat- Ami- doesn't seem to be stressed by dog at all, but I've caught her in the act. The other- Taz, maybe stressed, but why all of the sudden weeks after the dog came? And its not like she has to deal with the dog all the time- she stays downstairs mostly, the dog up- they rarely cross paths and its only when she freaks out and runs that the dog will start to chase. The peeing on my keyboard, and my husband's office blanket, seems like it may be personal - like they're trying to tell us something. They are still using the regular litter box- and its not like we're always finding new places they've peed- just a handful. But I'm worried its becoming a real problem and could escalate.

Any thoughts? Suggestions on how to get them stop? Aside from getting rid of dog :P I've read some about wall plug-ins that emit a scent that is calming to cats- but it looks really expensive- not sure I could afford that, especially if it only works for some cats.

Thank you!!

Comments (6)

• teisa
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Well I can tell you from experience the cats are probably mad about the puppy. But I'm not sure how to fix it!

My experience was I brought home a new baby! A real newborn baby. And my cat of 12 years threw a fit. He too started peeing everywhere that I cared about. He would do it in my favorite seat, on top of my pillow, and even once on me and baby as I was feeding her!

I would call a pet trainer. The ones at PetSmart comes to mind. Im not real sure how your gonna have to deal with it. For sure make sure the cats feel loved. I would spend extra time with them. Im not sure if you should go about punishing them when you catch them doing it, or reward for using the litter box. I think thats where the trainer could help you best.

Goodluck! Keep us updated!

• jensyen ( z7 MD )
    9 years ago

Please take your cats to the vet and get a check up.
    I had a cat who lived without dogs around who started peeing in odd places. Took the cat to a vet who found a urinary tract infection. After treatment my cat returned to normal litter box use.
    Good Luck, Jen

• justplaincountry
    9 years ago

I second the suggestion of uti. when a cat has one they associate the litter box with pain and will often try to find a place that they think won't cause pain. Get them both checked and treated and they'll go back to the litter box.

• User
    9 years ago

My first thought is that the change in their litter and litter box is probably the main cause, although throwing a puppy into the mix is probably upsetting as well.

I'm with the others who suggest getting them to the vet's office to rule out a urinary tract infection. Is there any way you might go back to their old litter situation?

Good luck...

• User
    9 years ago

I just took a look at an ad for the "Breeze" system. It clearly states that two cats should have three breeze system trays. I saw it in the "transition trouble" section.

Still, get them to the vet for a check up. I hope all goes well.

• aurorawa
    9 years ago

Cats don't like change.
    Take them to the vet to rule out UTI, then try to use the same litter and litter box you previously used. If they start going in the box after changing back to what they used to have, you have found your problem.
    Adding a new pet (or having a baby) to an existing pet family (ESPECIALLY with cats), can cause territorial upset. If a cat feels that their territory is threatened, they will spray or pee to try and establish what they see as theirs. In other words, they mark their territory.
    Try to remedy the territorial issues by making sure your kitties have their own space. Put up some shelving, get a cat tree or two, and provide one on one play time with each kitty daily.
    Hope this helps!