Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arlosmom

Dog problems! Displaced aggression. Prozac? Long post

arlosmom
10 years ago

Hello, I've been an infrequent poster on this forum, but I've got a bad situation and could really use some help.

I have 2 rescue dogs, Calley and Ringo. We got Calley about 3 years ago as a 12 week old pup and she has always had some emotional issues. About 6 months after we got Calley, we got Ringo to try and help with her fears. I've included my earlier post from about this timeframe just to give some background. Forum members were wonderfully supportive and gave great advice.

Having two dogs has been a challenge. In the house they are pretty wonderful together although they chase the cats more than I'd like. They are bonded to each other, play great together and have no food aggression issues. She is the bigger, stronger, and more exuberant of the two, but he keeps up with her great.

Going outside with them can be a crapshoot. Lots of times we have perfect loose-leash dog walks, but sometimes we have real problems. She gets very excited by squirrels and rabbits, and they take turns with leash aggression issues; she's worse than he is, but he's far from perfect. She seems to look for opportunities to get overly excited, and they feed off each other's excitement.

So here's the real problem and where I feel like I'm in over my head...about two dozen times over the course of the past two and a half years Calley has displayed displacement aggression (my vet's term) where she gets overly excited by something she sees or smells and attacks Ringo. It seems to come out of nowhere and it only takes an instant for her to go from zero to 100. Up until yesterday it has always just been a lot of noise. It has usually happened when they are on leash, lots of times right when we walk out the front door. We have tried to recognize the triggers and keep her on a real tight leash until it passes. Stressful, but I thought we were managing it.

Yesterday I had them with me at a friend's house. My friend has a fenced yard and they were running all around for 15 or 20 minutes and having a great time. I don't know if she saw something (cat? squirrel?) or what, but out of nowhere she started attacking him. They were in the corner by the fence so he couldn't get away. In the 10 seconds it took for me to get there from across the yard she bit him about 10 times. She got his front leg, his back leg, his ear. It was awful.

I drove Calley home, shoved her in the front door, and took Ringo straight to the vet. They got him all cleaned up, stapled the worst gash in his leg closed, and gave me antibiotics. The vet and I were talking about the attack and what I can do. He said the only sure way to prevent another attack is to permanently separate them (get rid of one). We're not ready to even consider that option yet. Another of his suggestions was Prozac for Calley. We're going to give that a try. Looking back, we can see that she's consistently had fear/anxiety/excitement issues. She's like Dr Jeckell and Mr Hyde. She's usually affectionate and sweet and can be incredibly gentle, except when she's not.

So right now I'm sitting on the couch with poor Ringo curled up next to me with his funnel on, all covered in gashes, and I'm feeling lost and discouraged. If anybody has suggestions, I'd really appreciate them.

Here is a link that might be useful: earlier post about Calley and Ringo

Comments (9)

• Nancy in Mich
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

We had exactly this problem, except our Casey (the aggressor) never broke skin in his attacks. A year and a half after the aggression started, Casey had two grand mal seizures. I took him to the neurological ER about a half hour away, and they diagnosed him with a brain tumor. Treating the brain tumor lessened the attacks until toward the end of his life. Here is a link to my posting here asking for help when the aggression became a problem, then an update after he died several years later. You may find the suggestions that were given to me to be helpful to you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Casey's story

• mudhoney
    10 years ago

This is a pretty serious situation, as you know. You are probably best off consulting with a behaviorist/trainer. Find one that works will positive reinforcement only, no talk of dominance, pack hierarchy, punishment of any kind. That kind of talk has been debunked, and that kind of training will not help your reactive dog. The ASPCA has a page on finding professional help for your dog (I'll try and post it for you). I also second thoroughly investigating for any kind of neurological issue. I would suggest keeping them separated until you have some answers. Best of luck with this difficult issue!

Here's the link to that website:
    http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/virtual-pet-behaviorist/finding-professional-help

This post was edited by sarabera on Tue, Oct 29, 13 at 23:58

• mazer415
    10 years ago

Im sorry you are having this problem. This is a tough one, because you never know when your little one is going to go off. My suggestion is
    1. Start basic training ASAP
    focus on sit, stay and leave it. Train EVERYDAY for an hour a day. MINIMUM
    2. You might want to consider a muzzle while you are out walking.
    3. Be certain when you start your walks to take charge, and to maintain calm (no asking the dogs if they want to go for a walk - waiting until they are calm before walking out the door)
    4. This is the hard one. Try to anticipate your dogs moves. Often times you can tell before your dog is going to go off. Ears go up, body goes tighter. You can put your dog in a sit stay and REDIRECT your dogs attention to you by holding a treat by you and asking your dog to focus on you (either until the critter or situation passes)
    5 you can keep your rambunctous furkid on a shorter leash, and walk her on one side while walking your other dog on the opposite side of you - minimizing the ability to attack your other furkid when something happens to excite her. Hope some of these help, Good luck

• Daniela
    9 years ago

Hi, I am currently having very similar issues with my two dogs now. What did you do to remedy the situation? My girls almost killed eachother last night and I'm at a loss for what I can do to remedy the situation

• Nancy in Mich
    9 years ago

When a friend had to bring a sometimes aggressive dog back into her home after it bit a child in its new home, she feared for the other dog. She consulted with a behaviorist who told her (of course) that she could never let the dog near children again. The we worked on getting the two dogs used to being together again. What we did was bring the biter into the home only when the other dog was present, then I would come over and the two of us separately trained the two dogs in the same general area, where they could see each other but not interact, for maybe an hour. Training = treats = good feelings. So then we took the biter away again. Thus, every time he saw his sister dog, he was flooded with treats and good feelings because he was "playing" training games. After a few weeks of doing this frequently, he was brought back home to stay. I don't think he ever got aggressive toward the sister dog again. As a matter of fact, she got her female dominance going and used to push him around. He allowed it, as he should. He was never safe toward children, though. Both have passed on. We are getting old!

• Nancy in Mich
    9 years ago

Your girls almost killed each other last night....You know I missed that in reading your post. Some females are just too dominant over others. I had a fairly dominant female lab/husky mix who would get into it with the dog park's founder's lab, who was also a dominant female. Luckily, she knew dogs well - a lot more than I did - and she decided that her dog really was not appropriate for the dog park. I always carried water in my hand, since dumping it on a snarly pair of dogs always stopped the issue. But these were minor snarly, snappy fights with no blood. If you really almost lost your dogs last night, that is very serious behavior. Most fights I have witnessed drew no blood at all.

Are your females spayed? Are puppies involved in this fighting behavior? You must know what to do before you start having breeding females together. (Ethical issues put aside from this discussion.)

If these are not your issues, your consultation with the behaviorist may result in separation. Some females do not accept other females. I knew to only get males when I had Megan and wanted to add a dog to my home. It was her behavior at the dog park that taught this to me, though. If I had not seen her with other dogs, I would not have known.

• Daniela
    9 years ago

They are both spayed, and we were all been a happy family for a year before this happened. I recently moved in with my friend and we're now living in a condo instead of a house. I've been taking her on longer walks, but it hasn't fixed anything yet. They're both cuddled up on the floor right now. They love each other, but their fights seem so sudden, unprovoked, and they have been getting more and more serious. The thought of giving one up kills me. They both came from terrible backgrounds, but they've never shown aggression before a month ago

• Nancy in Mich
    9 years ago

Try to make note of when and where it happens. Time of day, circumstances, physical properties of the space where they blow up, anything can be helpful to your trainer. With my Casey, he initially went after Bina mostly in tight spaces. Later, he was usually guarding the room and did not want her to enter the family room or the space around me.

Once you figure it out, you can watch for it and distract the dog before it happens. We used to yell with lots of Whoop! Whoop! loud noises to startle Casey out of his fixated trance, then get his attention on us, not Bina. But Casey had a brain tumor and we were fighting against whatever damage it was doing to his brain. Your situation may be completely different, so that is why you need an expert to help you figure out what is happening. We finally decided not to leave any chew toys out at all, since Casey could decide to guard them at any time, for instance. Things changed over the course of the three years he had his tumor. Toward the end, he could not follow his training and control his impulses. He was all ID, a psychologist would say. If he wanted to know what was on the counter, he jumped up and looked. If he wanted to eat something on a counter, he jumped up and took it. We had gates everywhere and had to be perfect about using them and leaving things in his reach.

I have known others who had two dogs who were incompatible and could not be together. They managed the gates in their home to keep the dogs apart. They also arranged their lives to spend time in the spaces of both dogs, so neither was neglected. It can be done, but it is difficult!

First, save your money, and find that trainer to come to your house and work with the dogs and figure out what the problem is.