Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to make my cat's collar fit, can I add more holes?

Posted by phish (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 15, 11 at 10:33

OK, it's bad enough when I'm between sizes on clothes/shoes/ect., now my cat is between sizes! He has outgrown his 10 inch collar but the 12 inch collar is too big. So he is able to wiggle the 12 inch collar off because it is so big (why wouldn't the collar makers just add more holes). Anyway, does anyone know a good way for me to make my own additional holes in his new 12 inch collar to make it tighter?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to make my cat's collar fit, can I add more holes?

Sure you can add more holes :) But there are adjustable cat collars - eg size 8" to 12" that may fit him and have holes that won't fray already in place. Lupine brand collars come in this size.

o

Is it a nylon collar? If so, take something metal and pointed, like an ice pick or a skewer, heat it over a flame and then burn a hole into the collar. Mark the area you want the hole before starting the process.

With a cat collar you just need to make sure you don't make the hole too large or the latch may not hold well. Another option is to try a hole punch with a small hole size, then burn the edges to keep them from fraying.

o
Thanks aanz, that worked perfectly!

Cynthia, I like the collars that allow for them not being able to choke themselves and I couldnt' find them in adjustable so that is why I had my problem.

o

Does this cat go outdoors?

If not, what is the benefit of a collar?

o

The benefit of a collar for indoor cats is that if something happens (escape, fire, break-in, accident on the way to the vet) the cat has id. All animals should wear id in the house.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here