Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Home-made Shampoo for Dog with Yeast Infection on Skin

Posted by PlantsAndYarn (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 9, 12 at 10:23

The past 2 summers our 11 yr old Shar-pei has had problems with yeast infections on his skin.

This summer at the first sign of trouble I used the shampoo the vet gave us. Last year it worked great. This summer it just wouldn't stop. I'd give him a bath & 2 days later new spots further up his body would break out. When it got to his "mane" I was desperate. So I made this for him --

1 cup Dial anti-bacterial soap
1 cup white vinegar
2 tbs of water

Worked great & he smelled so good! On the first day that I used this soap, I also gave him a vinegar rinse after rinsing off the soap. Then gave him another bath with just the home-made soap 2 days later; then 4 days after that.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Home-made Shampoo for Dog with Yeast Infection on Skin

there are a couple other threads on this forum where folks mention homemade shampoos using vinegar, usually recommend cider vinegar. My sheltie male was really itchy this summer & used a recipe I found with vinegar & it really gave him some relief. Thanks for posting yours, it may help someone.

My question is, you didn't find the Dial to be too strong? I would expect it to irritate esp. w/his yeast infections? Was this on his face (where so many folds are)? We used to use coal tar pet shampoos on our lhasa-poodle mix when her skin flared up. But yuck it stunk!

o

I read somewhere else about a lady that uses the Dial/vinegar soap on her dog to keep his yeasty skin under control. She said not to worry, that the soap was mild enough. You could always dilute it more than the 2 tbs of water. I didn't have cider vinegar, so I just used the white. After the 3 baths, his skin did look a bit dry, but I assumed it was the vinegar.

He always had a problem on his underside, back end between his legs. I got that under control with the vet's shampoo but then he started having problems on top by his tail & on his tail. I kept using the vet shampoo, but the spots just kept moving up further on his body. When it got up by his head & under his face into the folds, that's when I made this shampoo. I washed all of him including his face, around the mouth, top of his head (carefully avoiding his eyes).

This has worked well for us. I liked the way he smelled too. Much better than the vet's soap.

o

I have a recipe for pet shampoo that also has oatmeal in it plus vinegar, Dawn dishwashing detergent and glycerin. Works wonders on my Bichons who have a terrible time with allergies. It makes a gallon at a time so I don't have to mix it up very often.

o

Sounds interesting. Can it be made in smaller batches? I have all those ingredients but it would take me a long time to use up a gallon.

o

I don't see why you couldn't cut the ingregients in half but to tell you the truth it doesn't seem to go bad. I keep mine a long time and it stays okay. I did, for awhile, store it in the refrigerator but at last I just left it at room temp and it was still fine. Good luck and I hope it works as well for your dogs as it does for mine.

o

Brownthumbia, what is your recipe, exactly?

o

Petaloid, it is 1 cup oatmeal, I use the quick but I don't think it matters. 1 1/2 cup Dove, Ivory, OR Dawn dishwashing liquid. 1/4 cup liquid glycerine and it's optional to add some baking soda. But, I don't think I would add vinegar if you add the sods...could have an atomic bomb in our kitchen. LOL Actually, I leave out the vinegar because after their bath I spray Apple cider vinegar quite liberally on their coats as they are drying. Now back to the recipe. I blend the oatmeal until it is a powder. and I don't add the soap until I have filled the bottle with water or you will have suds coming out of the jar before you're ready for it. Other than that everything just gets dumped all together and I will say because of the amount of soap it is a VERY sudsy shampoo. sometimes I don't put that much soap in. I have even cut it in half. guess it depends on how much I have on hand. I do shake it, gently when it's bath time. I really hope this helps your sweetie as much as it has mine. good luck.

o

My Doxie had his first bath with this homemade recipe this morning. I am going to add yogurt and ACV to his diet and hopefully his itching will stop. I will post a follow up in a few days.

o

After yesterday's post, I have wiped my Doxie's problem areas (skin folds) with ACV soaked cotton pads and have given him live culture yogurt twice. By last night, he was itching less, but today it has completely stopped. I cannot believe I finally found such a simple and inexpensive homemade solution to my pet's problem.

o

My 8 year old ShihTzu has terrible allergies from Spring until it frosts and she is on meds this whole time too! She gets hot spots ( I assume from licking) and she scratches. We nick named her THUMPER!

I wonder if this shampoo recipe will help her. She doesn't have any hot spots now, but still scratches occasionally.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here