Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Copper sulfate--attractive to dogs?

Posted by Iowariver (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 17, 12 at 10:14

Hi. Someone put a large amount of what so far seems to be granular copper sulfate (tree root remover for sewer lines) around a small tree in my fenced yard for the dog.

I've read about it and it is toxic to dogs, but I can't seem to find anything to indicate if it is attractive to dogs for ingestion, like many other chemicals and pesticides. Holding it to the dog's nose briefly, it seemed to be.

We removed the stuff before anything got into it and tests are ongoing to identify it succinctly.

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Copper sulfate--attractive to dogs?

Whether a dog eats it or not depends on the dog but in general I don't think dogs would be drawn to it.

I would worry more about skin contact or granules that got on your dog's paws and were then licked off.

o
RE: Copper sulfate--attractive to dogs?

To annz:

Thanks for the tip. I should have thought of it. My dogs and a sheep show interest when they smell a sample in a jar. Cats seem repelled. I was very careful, of course.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here