Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Backyard Potty issues ( from the skunk incident)

Posted by ladybugfruit (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 13, 10 at 9:40

So I posted a few weeks ago about my girls getting sprayed by a skunk while roaming the backyard at night and we have since started only taking them out on leashes at night in well light areas to pee. Here's my issue, my old girl refuses to pee in the backyard on a leash. We spent almost 45 minutes out one night and finally gave up. SO, she's been going at least 12 hours without peeing which concerns me. No accidents in the house. She knows the command to pee on leash. While we were waiting to move into our house this summer, we stayed at a budget suites and she had no problem peeing on command, on a schedule. To try and reinforce the "pee pee" command, I have been doing positive reinforcement on walks, treating her when she pees, also been trying to do that in the backyard when I see that she is going to pee. Tried taking her out with her sister last night ( generally take them seperately at night, but wanted to simulate how it was at budget suites), no success. She just stands next to us and looks at us, only moving when we do. Tried taking her around the perimeter, which is her thing, still nothing. I am at a loss. Suggestions would be great. I am planning on taking her to the vet tomorrow to rule out any physiological issues that could be going on. I know she has not felt great lately due to allergies and she is getting older, I just hope it's a case of the stubborns and not something else. Thanks bunches,
LBF

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Backyard Potty issues ( from the skunk incident)

Time for a trip to the vet...

o

Are you walking in the yard? Just walking in circles will help her to relax and get her ready to eliminate. I wasn't clear if the 45 minutes was just standing about in the yard, so apologies if you were walking briskly and she still didn't relax enough to go. But you mentioned that she didn't move unless you did. Walk!

I also wonder if when you take her in the back yard on leash she is expecting that you are headed out to a walk and is waiting for her walk outside of the yard ! :)

If she can go 12 hours at night, that's fine. Not unhealthy. Dogs don't need to eliminate at night like they do during the day. My 8 year old girl never joins us for the 11PM last call and she's fine through the night without a last outing.

o

Yes Cynthia, we were walking the yard and one night we even tried walking her out front and still nothing. However, our diligence has finally paid off!! Hooray, the last 2 nights she has peed. We changed our tactics a bit, taking the younger one out earlier and waiting a few more hours to take our old lady out. Thanks for the reassurance though that going that long is ok. We went to the vet yesterday and are still awaiting blood work results ( it was time anyways). We did learn that she has some arthritis/spondylosis that has crept into her back and we will be addressing that with acupuncture in the next couple of weeks. Now just hoping bloodwork looks good. She has had a history of some elevated liver enzymes, but were normal at the last check.
Thanks again!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here